Cannot Remove Crank!

anzo

Hi,

I tried to remove my crank arm yesterday, from the drive side. Due to a hard bash on the crank, it seems to have creased about two of the top treaded on the crank.

Problem is I cannot screw in my extractor to get it off, so how can I get the threads right again? (I have a tap and die set, but nothing that will go that big).

I may need to forced the crank off by 'other means' but I don't know how to do that so any advice would be good.

I'm not too fussed about f**king the crank up as all will soon be replaced.

Any ideas?

I don't necessarily 'need' the crank, I can replace it, but It'd be nice to get it off with minimal damage and save it as a spare.

I'll knock the shit out of it tonight, If I do it carefully and evenly then I don't think it'll cause that much damage to the bb axle or the crank...hopefully.

There is a more subtle approach (if you dont have it sorted already). Remove the opposite crank and re-position 180 deg and do it up (so both cranks now are parallel and face each other). Put a small car jack (or the jaws of life if you know someone in the ambulance service) and wind away. Should drive off nicely.

Hi all,

Just tried to get them off now I'm home. I tried 'evenly' hitting it but to no luck, I daren't hit it really hard incase I f**k the threads in my frame.

I'll try pulling them apart with a clamp now, but I'm not too optimistic, its f**kin locked on! lol. Any other suggestions? Heating maybe?

Thanks

A bit of heat might be helpful. Just be careful of the paintwork (if its painted) and the seals and bearings in the BB. I dont think excess hitting will ever ruin the frame threads.

A pitman arm puller would also work but not every has one of these.

Last resort if you dont need the crank then cut it off with a dremel or hacksaw.

heat heat heat...... this will work even better if your BB is steel (your cranks will be alloy), get a blowtorch and move in circular motion around the threaded area of the crank arm for a fair few minutes to get it hot and allow it to expand a touch, cranks a pretty thick so will take a bit of heating. then get a lump of wood and a club hammer if you have one, place wood on inside of crank and whack it HARD, make sur the bike is somewhere solid so your loosing no power from you whacking and it should pop off. make sure you start whacking it asap after heating for maximum effect. done this a fair few times. works fine 4 me. hope it helps you (Y)

yes, and pull the BB through the frame and f**k the threads... lol

Iv done it, beleive me!

I have hit em off like that loads of times.

We bent the shaft of a hammer cause of the force we were hittin em with.

Beware though if you do it this way, they dont half f**kin come of with some speed (almost smashed trialsboy560's kitchen window haha)

Hi,

I tried to remove my crank arm yesterday, from the drive side. Due to a hard bash on the crank, it seems to have creased about two of the top treaded on the crank.

Problem is I cannot screw in my extractor to get it off, so how can I get the threads right again? (I have a tap and die set, but nothing that will go that big).

I may need to forced the crank off by 'other means' but I don't know how to do that so any advice would be good.

I'm not too fussed about f**king the crank up as all will soon be replaced.

Any ideas?

If you take it to a quality bike shop they will have a tool called a stining(sp) tool. Its basicly an oversized crank puller wich will cut new larger threads into you crank arm. You will then be able to use an oversized crank puller and remove the cranks like normal.

Paul

Edited by narrowbars

we had to take a grinder to O.B.marks musclemans, its a good way to do it :P . didnt damage the bb either :P .

We had to take a hacksaw to my driveside muscleman to get it off, then I had to use it again 'cos the pedal thread stripped out of my new one. Hence my semi-famous weight-saving crank (Y)

Joe