Big Pc Problem...

Dann

Okly doke,

Did a windows update the otherday, re-started and all that...

Now everytime i spark up the Pc, it gets to Windows XP load screen and re-starts it self. It does this everytime...

Anyone have an answer to this? I would re-boot, but i cant back up my data, which i DON'T want to loose.

I tried booting from CD, and choosing the repair option, but i dont know the admin password for my pc. :(

Got some major Uni work in there, which is making the matter pants, and all my music etc...

Any help would be mucho appriciatio :D

I had exactly the same problem the other week!!!

What I did was get some sofeware off some bloke on another site, that recovered all the data. Mind you, you need either 2 hardrives or 2 pcs. If so I can send it to you....normally you have to pay for it (Y)

1. Unplug the PC from the wall and push the power button.
  2. Take the side off of the case.
  3. Take out the little battery out of the casing that's holding it in.
  4. Leave it out for 5 minutes or so.
  5. Put it back in.
  6. Boot up as normal.
EDIT: Here's the battery you should be looknig for (Y)

IPB Image

If that doesn't work. Do you have another PC that you can put the HDD in so you can back the important stuff up onto a DVD or anything?

Edited by Siders77

1. Unplug the PC from the wall and push the power button.
  2. Take the side off of the case.
  3. Take out the little battery out of the casing that's holding it in.
  4. Leave it out for 5 minutes or so.
  5. Put it back in.
  6. Boot up as normal.
EDIT: Here's the battery you should be looknig for (Y)

"pull out the motherboard battery and replace it after a few mins" would have done! But that was equally as helpfull! cheers buddy! i'll go try that now! if not i'll remove the hdd and take it somewhere to get it backed up! cheers a lot!

That's Siders' answer to everything :P

Does Safe Mode work? If not, just do what Sam said and get Knoppix/Ubuntu Live and run that. Burn all the important stuff to CD-R and reinstall Windows. Job es bueno.

If that's all too much hard work, try booting to the XP CD, and then selecting repair windows or whatever, and then at the repair console type "chkdisk c:" sans the quotes. But I'm not convinced that will work either.

It restores the time and original settings on your PC or something.

Say if you overclock your CPU from 2GHz to 2.4GHz but it doesn't boot up you take the battery out and repace it and it returns everyting back to how it was. So it would put the CPU back to 2GHz. (Y)

Haha too right. It always works for me anyway. :P
It wouldnt work with my motherboard according to the destruction booklet.

I have to also move a jumper from one position to another, leave it for a few seconds then put it back in the original position :P

It restores the time and original settings on your PC or something.
It causes the bios to loose power and re-sets the bios to factory default. In simple terms the bios is the beep when you start your PC up, the bios contains the motherboards start up settings...

The jumper thing is instant, and it's a bit easier depending on where the battery is. Most sensible mobo manufacturers put the jumper somewhere near the edge of the board, but you can't always rely on that. Whereas leaving the battery out is a bit ambiguous - You might need to leave it out for a few seconds, or it might last all day without the battery in. So the jumper is better, but it's not even slightly relevant for this topic - if it's a BIOS problem it wouldn't have got as far as the windows screen. It's a Windows problem.

The jumper thing is instant, and it's a bit easier depending on where the battery is. Most sensible mobo manufacturers put the jumper somewhere near the edge of the board, but you can't always rely on that. Whereas leaving the battery out is a bit ambiguous - You might need to leave it out for a few seconds, or it might last all day without the battery in. So the jumper is better, but it's not even slightly relevant for this topic - if it's a BIOS problem it wouldn't have got as far as the windows screen. It's a Windows problem.

The jumper will be near the battery, tagged jr1

Does the PC still give you the chance to go to "Last Known Good" when you push F8 when it's starting? Pick that if it does. You might get lucky.

Failing all else... if it's desperate, get someone to make you a BartPE disc, like Windows on a CD. Slow, but it reads and writes windows directories properly and you would be instantly familiar with it. I use one I made a long time ago, mainly because I haven't got around to making a more up to date one.

I haven't tried using Knoppix for that purpose, or any of the many Linux-On-CDs. INSERT looks interesting for what you'd need.

Edited by BikeDotStuffAtOnzaDotCom

Ok! I'm getting somewhere now! I bought a much needed new hard drive, and going to use my old one as storage.

Anyone know a way of getting my old my documents off it? I'm getting access denied or failed....

Take old hard drive out

Put new one in and install windows onto it

plug in old hard drive again

right click my computer and go to manage

go to disk management and add the old hard drive...

copy files over,

apologies if you've already got that far :P

Take old hard drive out

Put new one in and install windows onto it

plug in old hard drive again

right click my computer and go to manage

go to disk management and add the old hard drive...

copy files over,

apologies if you've already got that far :P

It wont let me copy 'my documents' ....

EDIT: Nevermind I sorted it now, I had to change the ownership of the folder and change a few security settings allowing me to access the drive under my current XP settings...