Just A Thought.

B.E.A.U

Hi all.

i was in school today and i was just thinking about riding as you do lol. and well could you get gears and cranks etc on he oposite side. E.G. i side hop to the right, so im a wee bit scared i will smash up my mech. but if i had it the other side. i wouldnt need to worry about it. because peopel who sidehop to the left are ok. it was just a thought.

But would you have to change the frame. E.G. mech hanger. there isnt one on the other side so can you get one fitted. or would bike makes start doing it.

It was just a thought because if you could do it or if bike makes start doing it i may be interested in it.

Also you would have to change thu hub around but that would be to hard would it.

im not sure what im saying here but i think im trying to say. could you convert cranks etc to the otehr side of your bike. ive seen it on a bmx and it would be realy cool if you could.

sory if this is a wast of time or you dont understand it.

thanks all

Beau (Y):$

u can get an mtb rofile 4 left hand drive, but then u got 2 find a frame with the deralier mounts and a oposite deraler, its gunna cost more than its worth?

u can get an mtb profile 4 left hand drive, but then u got 2 find a frame with the deralier mounts and a oposite deraler, its gunna cost more than its worth?

Basically..you've thought of a left-hand drive 26" frame.

Then you'd need 'flip-flop' hubs, or I think KHE(?) or someone make a hub where you can turn turn the drivers etc round for left hand drive.

Something like that for a Hope XC would be good.

To much effort in my opinion.

Yeah im pretty sure to that you can not get left hand side drive on trials bikes.

i would try and start to side hop to the left but then you got the same problem with disc if you have one.

so if i was you i would rather runin a cheap rear mech then a nice disc would'nt you?

Yeah im pretty sure to that you can not get left hand side drive on trials bikes.

i would try and start to side hop to the left but then you got the same problem with disc if you have one.

so if i was you i would rather runin a cheap rear mech then a nice disc would'nt you?

go for it. start a new trend. make yourself some money selling the brackets YOU make to take the mech etc (Y) thats what i would do.

Dave

Edited by Trials Dave

look at the new gt i-drive... thats a gear bopx frame with one chain on one side going up to the gear box then the chain to back wheel goes on the left...... the only left side mtb hubs out are shimano gear hubs i think :ermm:

to be honest. ide rarther bend my rote cus i can still ride. if im in birmingham and my mech goes. thats my day ridin gone. but if i brake a rotor i can still ride. and i tried sidehopping left. all i have to say to that is ouch :ermm:

Arent the dropouts offset to the drive side?

I.e the right chainstay is bent out further to improve chain line?

Meaning that potentially the chain could rub on the tyre if run on the left.

Making a mech hanger for the other side would be no big deal,

A lunchtime in the dt workshop would sort that out.

And you would only be able to run single speed.

The biggest problem is obioulsy the hub, and it is very unlikely

that any hub manafacturer is going to develop a good trials hub that can be used

the opposite way round.

My thoughts on the matter :)

Edited by adamtrials

My original yr 2000 t-bird has threads on both sides of the hub, is that what thats all about?

If its anything like my Monty/Quando hub the left side (NON-Drive) thread will be differant than the right, I don't know what its for, I remember reading something about micro drive or something, but like I said. I dunno.....

It is possible, but you would have to:

*Run bmx LHD cranks, and just swappign cranks over would result in pedals falling out (theres a reason for that reverse thread!)

*Run a LHD hub, i believe a profile singlespeed is the only possibilty here.

*Run single speed with horizontal dropouts OR a chainstay mounted tensioner. (dont bother with a mech hanger- tensioners and mechs are designed to go the the other side!)