Making Pads/backings

Walleee

I was bored in college one day and decided to have a go at drawing a pad backing, been working at it and finally got off my arse today and ran it through the rapid prototyping machine we have.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I hope to make these out of aluminium soon enough, and yes, I am basically copying steve's (Heatsink) design and idea's, but im doing this to get more experiance of CNC work and im not intending in selling these things or anything like that.

They are a bit smaller than normal backings (about 5-6mm shorter) I have no idea why, i'll have a look at the drawings tomorrow to see what's up.

Anyway, walking home, I dropped the damn thing, and the two post's on the inside broke off. Obviously that's due to the material being a strange glue type substance which is fairly brittle and weak, but would it be worth my while leaving them out of the final idea for the sake of making it easier to cut the pad material to size??

Also, regarding the actual size of the pads.... I believe that Pressure=Force/Area which indicates that pressure is directly proportional area.

If I decrease the area upon which the force is acting, I increase the pressure. Pressure relates to friction in that if there is little force pushing two objects together, the friction is small. Friction is how brakes work.

In short, is breaking power increased by using smaller pads?????

Finally, Where can I obtain a block of rubber suitable for making pads with? Im not particularily fussed on having the worlds best compound, but would like something which will allow me to try the backings out before I start cutting up good pads......

the heatsink (my) design is the best. simple. :P

why the massive hole in the middle?

Have you seen, the clip on the standard backings? I wouldn't know where to start with making them.

http://www.heatsinkbikes.com/content/Aluba.../cropped240.jpg

Looks like there is a rubber liner in the hole there but im going to have a think about it and see if there is any alternative which would make the entire brake more rigid....

Finally, Where can I obtain a block of rubber suitable for making pads with? Im not particularily fussed on having the worlds best compound, but would like something which will allow me to try the backings out before I start cutting up good pads......

A micro scooter wheel (Y) My mate (medwaytrials on here) made some and they work great! Even make a nice squek sound with no tar :rolleyes:

In short, is breaking power increased by using smaller pads?????

I just spend like 3 hours asking myself that question.

No, whatever sise of pad you make it will have exactly the same braking power. They'll just wear down fractionaly quicker.

If you want to know why, see the tensile pads thred. (Y)

I just spend like 3 hours asking myself that question.

No, whatever sise of pad you make it will have exactly the same braking power. They'll just wear down fractionaly quicker.

If you want to know why, see the tensile pads thred. (Y)

Fancy giving me a link?

Can't find it

Edit:

NVM: Found it.

Edited by jake1516