Tensile Bubble Gums?

Gaz M

The forse applied onto the rim with 50mm and 35 mm pads will be the same, if this wasn't true - and 35mm pads were crap becuase they're smaller, where does the forse from the slaves go on the 35mm pads?

Edited by JT!

Loved all the 35mm pads I've tried, but 7.5mm each end of a pad means f**k all to me, to be honest. Don't think you're suddenly going to think "Hmm, there's _ _% less material hittin the rim than there could be" or anything like that. If the compound's good, and they don't shed their backings, it doesn't matter how wide they are - 50 or 35.

Yeah, but its on a smaller area. Meaning its pushing harder at that point.

How about we forget physics and ride them, yeh, sounds good to me. :P

It's against the laws of physics for the brake to increase performance buy reducing the sise of the pad.

How's that then? Pressure = force/area. Less area with the same force = more pressure, = more stoppy stop :P Either way, it's neither here nor there. It seems the main reason it was introduced was to make it a little easier to set Maguras up with the sometimes shallow braking surfaces on a lot of trials rims.

How's that then? Pressure = force/area. Less area with the same force = more pressure, = more stoppy stop :P Either way, it's neither here nor there. It seems the main reason it was introduced was to make it a little easier to set Maguras up with the sometimes shallow braking surfaces on a lot of trials rims.

Yeah, but it dosn't work like that. Don't ask me why becuase i can't explain. But it just dosn't.

Isnt it the same concept with walking on the snow? if you have say high heels on your gonna sink quick but if you have them massive snow shoes that are realy wide you wont sink as much.

Yeah but you haven't considerd friction.

Got a physics lesson tomorrow, i'll come back with a proper answer.

For me what strikes me about the 35mm backings is the ease of preparing the pads and then assembling them. For this reason along they are very appealing! It still takes me a fair while when I need to hand cut pads to fit the 50mm backings, but the 35mm ones require just a flat surface and some decent glueing.

You can get really decent adhesion even though there's no recessed form, but you mustn't go beyond a certain softness with the pads because you need sufficient stiffness in the pad itself to stop the braking action being turned into a peeling mechanism rather than a shearing one. This shouldn't be an issue though because the Monty pads and also Koxx and Coust have shown that you can get the grip performance you're looking for in a sufficiently stiff pad that can be retained well on the flat backings.

The more pad choice the better in my opinion!

Steve

Righty ho...

What you said there was right. The force on the rim is increased when you use smaller pads. But when you reduce the sise of the pad, the surface area is being reduced.

On bigger pads, the force is less because it has a bigger surface area. But the surface area has been increase because there's more pad touching the rim.

. More surface area means more friction

. More force (the force against the rim) means more friction.

When you increase one the other one decease, and visa versa.

So that means that no matter what sise the pads are, they will always have the same friction.

The force from the maguras piston is constant so that can be completely ignored, when I refer to 'force' above I’m referring to the force felt by the rim which vary with surface area.

That's why 35mm have the same braking power.

However, they will wear down quicker. 30% quicker in theory. But they're cheaper, because there are less of them. And they are easier to set up as said above.

But, they're more prone to the rubber ripping off their backings (not saying they will but are more likely) because the base of the rubber is less, but the height is the same. (Again like said above)

So to sum up really, it doesn’t matter.

Edited by JT!

Either way, it's neither here nor there.

Righty ho...

What you said there was right. The force on the rim is increased when you use smaller pads. But when you reduce the sise of the pad, the surface area is being reduced.

On bigger pads, the force is less because it has a bigger surface area. But the surface area has been increase because there's more pad touching the rim.

. More surface area means more friction

. More force (the force against the rim) means more friction.

When you increase one the other one decease, and visa versa.

So that means that no matter what sise the pads are, they will always have the same friction.

The force from the maguras piston is constant so that can be completely ignored, when I refer to 'force' above I’m referring to the force felt by the rim which vary with surface area.

That's why 35mm have the same braking power.

However, they will wear down quicker. 30% quicker in theory. But they're cheaper, because there are less of them. And they are easier to set up as said above.

But, they're more prone to the rubber ripping off their backings (not saying they will but are more likely) because the base of the rubber is less, but the height is the same. (Again like said above)

So to sum up really, it doesn’t matter.

So what I said then, basically? ;)

Either way, it's neither here nor there.

Pressure = force/area. Less area with the same force = more pressure, = more stoppy stop :P

So what I said then, basically? ;)

If what you said was contredicting yourself, then yeah.

The reason i posted it up really was just metaphoric 'full-stop' to my 3 hours thinking about how pad length effect braking power. :D

Edited by JT!

Ffr = µ*K.

Where Ffr is the friction force, µ is the friction coefficient, and K the applied force via the brake.

No areas...

It's harder to set the brake up properly with short pads.

Force is not reduced when the area is increased, the PRESSURE is reduced... :)

• 2 months later...

Jesus christ you guys like to argue! :P

Back on topic.

I use them on the front.

Had them over a month.

Got them from Tarty'

Lock really well, but still have modulation.

Sqeal like hell! Nice and high pitched. ^_^

Done.