Police Fines

anzo

Click Here

I just found this, a list of maximum fine for traffic offenses. Look at the cycling one, how the fecking hell can the police/courts fine 2,500 quid for dangerous cycling? What's dangerous cycling classed as? BMX, Trials?

Its just a ridiculous fine, I know probably no-one ever gets a fine like that, but seriously?

You get a less fine for driving with the WRONG license!

For the fine of 'dangerous cycling' you could drive a car without a license or MOT without your seatbelt on.

Police officer: How old are you?

Me: 15...

Police officer: You should be on the road then!

Me: Is this bike road legal?

Police officer: erm...no...

Me: Also, bikes that have 20" wheels and below should not be ridden on the roads

Police officer: oh...

:)

seemed the best place to post that... (Y)

Err, quite easily. Bikes arent the only thing on the road, dangerous cycling could very easily cause a car pile-up and end up killing more than a few people...

I'm not arguing they shouldn't fine people, but WHY is it that much? When is cycling deemed 'dangerous' either on the road or off it?

To Partz...

how can someone get 6-8 points on their license, for driving without a license....

Its stays on records with the DVLA and will go onto your license as soon as you apply for it. A lad I know has 3 points for driving a £5 car (ad-mag) on the road without brakes. He crashed into the back of a van and did a runner...twat.

There like the max they can give you arnt they?

Yes, it is the maximum,but its still a big maximum. I agree the chance of actually getting £2,500 fines is slim to none. Unless you had no front wheel and welded your forks to the back of a van and then caused a crash...something like that...

Failing to identify driver of a vehicle £1,000

:ermm::ermm: how many people here can identify the person who drive the last bus you seen (for example) :blink:

the crap us cyclists have to deal with compaired to a underage driver who does a hit and run on a trials rider (RIP DJ :bunny: ) its f*****g ridiculus (sp) ----------------------

I'd want somebody to have more than 8 points and a £2.5k fine if they caused an accident that killed my family, and im sure you would too

What I'm saying is, where is it written that draws the line for safe and dangerous cycling? Everything we do is dangerous cycling, it breaks almost every rule in the highway code (to ride it on the road). The highway code is the only written 'guidance/law' to road safety, and always break that on our bikes.

In basic terms, what I mean is that 'dangerous cycling' is very vague.

Common sense decides that, the same as cars driving dangerously. Swerving, failing to stop at junctions, general dangerous stuff. Im sure that when they were written they didnt have trials and BMXing in mind.. theyre for 'cycling' not 'freestyle mountabike riding', which shouldnt be done on the road anyway, so youve got nothing to worry about.

'Dangerous driving' isnt really vague, anyone with common sense can determine if something is could cause a hazard, and especially a police officer/judge who has the final say in it anyway.

I still think the most important issue here is that motoring affences need to be redifined and brought up-to-date.

Specifically if you kill someone either by running them over or another perosn in a car or your car through dangerous driving. I see that as being classed as manslaughter. Though running someone over purposely should be treated as murder.

Its hard seeing as we live in a society where the criminal has more rights than the victim.

Motorways are dangerous becasue there are so many ejits that cant use them properly. Lefthand lane all the time, moving out if you need to overtake.

Edited by Michael Hardman

Its hard seeing as we live in a society where the criminal has more rights than the victim.

They don't

They have the same rights as everybody else - until they're convicted.

If it didnt work like that then you wouldn't be innocent until proven guilty

They don't

They have the same rights as everybody else - until they're convicted.

If it didnt work like that then you wouldn't be innocent until proven guilty

I didnt mean it like that. I was really refering to say someone robbing your house and you go and stab them while their on your property stealing your stuff. They end up gettign away with it and the inocent house owner gets jailed for GBH.

I didnt mean it like that. I was really refering to say someone robbing your house and you go and stab them while their on your property stealing your stuff. They end up gettign away with it and the inocent house owner gets jailed for GBH.

well yeah - which is the more serious crime?

anyway thats all OT and likely to start a fight :) ...

Where does it say a mod isn't road legal ? - the only legal definitions I could find for a bicycle say that it's a vehicle with 2 wheels and pedals.

Anything official I could quote to plod would be much appreciated cos riding mine on the road scares crap out of me.