Police Fines

anzo

Police officer: How old are you?

Me: 15...

Police officer: You should be on the road then!

Me: Is this bike road legal?

Police officer: erm...no...

Me: Also, bikes that have 20" wheels and below should not be ridden on the roads

Police officer: oh...

:)

seemed the best place to post that... (Y)

Can they not take the bike off you then?

Without a seat? Never heard that one, i thought it was without a helmet? <_<

Part of the high way code, ill go have a look

45.a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations

appropriate clothes for cycling. Avoid clothes which may get tangled in the chain, or in a wheel or may obscure your lights

light-coloured or fluorescent clothing which helps other road users to see you in daylight and poor light

46: At night your cycle MUST have front and rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen.

54: You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. Do not leave your cycle where it would endanger or obstruct road users or pedestrians, for example, lying on the pavement. Use cycle parking facilities where provided.

Bike maintanence

you choose the right size of cycle for comfort and safety

lights and reflectors are kept clean and in good working order

tyres are in good condition and inflated to the pressure shown on the tyre (MONTY TIRE PRESSURES :P )

gears are working correctly

the chain is properly adjusted and oiled

the saddle and handlebars are adjusted to the correct height.

ensure your brakes are efficient

at night, use lit front and rear lights and have an efficient red rear reflector.

So that's not statutory, just advisory seeing as it's under the same heading as keeping your chain oiled.

Sorry son, I'm gonna have to arrest you, that chain is slightly dry therefore not conforming to the bike maintenance section of the Highway Code. Anything you do say...

Can't see it happening to be fair :-

EDIT: 45.a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations

appropriate clothes for cycling. Avoid clothes which may get tangled in the chain, or in a wheel or may obscure your lights

So they could bust you for wearing baggy jeans? Shocking...

Edited by Street Lee

So that's not statutory, just advisory seeing as it's under the same heading as keeping your chain oiled.

Sorry son, I'm gonna have to arrest you, that chain is slightly dry therefore not conforming to the bike maintenance section of the Highway Code. Anything you do say...

Can't see it happening to be fair :-

EDIT: 45.a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations

So they could bust you for wearing baggy jeans? Shocking...

Made me laugh! :P