Urban Legend

Thom

I tried installing the non driveside crank arm today and it seems that the crank isn't going all the way onto the spindle. No matter how hard I hit the crank theres still about a 1 cm gap. The cranks i'm using now almost go all the way in with no problems but that uses a self extracting/self pulling bolt so since the tensiles also can use these bolts I put them on. So i install the crank with the bolt but it is only slightly better there is still a gap.

surely this is not normal ? I mean the splines aren't contacting with the spindle properly. Anyone know whats wrong ? I havn't tried the driveside yet because I'm still waiting for my trackcog.

IPB Image

Edited by norco_trials

Thats perfectly normal. There needs to be some 'preload' of around 3-5mm when the cranks are new. If this is not there, that means the crank interface is too loose, and you will run into problems in the future.

Have you greased the spline? This will allow the crank to slide on further, and make removal easier.

Adam

Ok thats good, its just that the cranks i'm running now go pretty much all the way in, theres like a 2mm gap. So when you say 'when the cranks are new' does that mean it will move closer when it gets older ? also if i don't use the self pulling bolts the crank has a much bigger gap and no matter how hard I hit it it doesn't budge. I'm planning to not use these bolts and run normal ones so my problem is still kinda apparent.

So when you say 'when the cranks are new' does that mean it will move closer when it gets older ?

I would have thought so. What Adam's saying is that if it went all the way on now, in the future it'd be too loose because the metal is stretched each time you install/remove the crank.

ISIS cranks have a taper on them, if it was all the way up the crank now it'd be too loose in the future.

Bolt wise, i'd use whichever you like, the gap won't make any difference. There's enough crank/spindle interface to make it safe, and as has been said above, it'll get smaller.

what is wrong with self extractors ? I've been running some for a year now (they came with my cranks) and they've been alright. Do they strip easy or something ?

Edited by norco_trials