Avid Juicy 7 - Doesnt Want To Bed In :(

Joe Papasnap Maher

Right had it a few weeks now.

1st Day i got it....stuck it all on..no problems...pull lever....it was dog shit.

So did the old, pour water on it trick. Bang, top stuff it all worked fine and dandy.

Then later on that day i went round my mates shed / trials gaff and in there its very dusty. anwyays .

Was riding and the disc was slowly getting shitter ans shitier. So i put some more water on it, yer worked again.

and so on and so on...kept working then didnt, then did.....

Anwyays rode some street the the other day and it just wouldnt work...so i got home and gave the pads and disc a good scrubbing with some hot soapy water.

Let it all dry...put some water on disc...great...but as soon as the water dry's it just goes shit again, and makess a foul foul screeching/squeking noise...and just doenst stop at all.

So any ideas?? :(:(

i can't help you as such, but i have had similar things happen. It seems like 99% of discs do bed in properly, but every so often there is one that seems to just not be compatible. (the rotor and pads).

I had it with my hope mini. It just wouldn't get good. I tried every trade secret out there to sort my pads and rotor but nothing worked. Its a bit of a shitter what i had to do, but i bought a new rotor and new pads. Started fresh, did just the same and that time, like most people and myself with my other discs, the brake bedded in nicely and worked amazingly.

john

Anwyays rode some street the the other day and it just wouldnt work...so i got home and gave the pads and disc a good scrubbing with some hot soapy water.

Let it all dry...put some water on disc...great...but as soon as the water dry's it just goes shit again, and makess a foul foul screeching/squeking noise...and just doenst stop at all

there we go,

un bolt the rotor and get hold of some meths or similar, then rub down so the disc is completely clean, and the meths wont leave a residue. Dont touch the rotor area with your hands as the oils in your skin can contamintae. Go and buy some new pads and refit.

bed the brake in properly by gradual usage, a few hard stops etc. and see how that works

I find my disk can do this sometimes. Goes shit for no reason. But all I do is put up with it for a while and it starts working again. Might be worth trying. Or as bongo says it maybe a funny one. But I have always found that fiddling with disc's f**ks them up for a while anyway, so maybe giving it a bit of time will help.

I find my disk can do this sometimes. Goes shit for no reason. But all I do is put up with it for a while and it starts working again. Might be worth trying. Or as bongo says it maybe a funny one. But I have always found that fiddling with disc's f**ks them up for a while anyway, so maybe giving it a bit of time will help.

your disc is shit all the time peddy, dont know how you can ever say it work allright :P

dont f**k around with discs though, the best thing you can do with them is put them on and leave them alone completely. if its making a shit noice jow it probably means you have got oil on it, you might not notice you had done it but it doesnt take a lot, just like when your oiling your chain or summat.

dont put meths or any shit on it... have you tried boiling the pads?

your disc is shit all the time peddy, dont know how you can ever say it work allright :P

dont f**k around with discs though, the best thing you can do with them is put them on and leave them alone completely. if its making a shit noice jow it probably means you have got oil on it, you might not notice you had done it but it doesnt take a lot, just like when your oiling your chain or summat.

dont put meths or any shit on it... have you tried boiling the pads?

How do u mean boling them?? put them in a kettle?? LOL

Ok so you've got the brake wet, but you don't say whether you have actually bedded in the pads? By that I mean got the brake very hot then poured water over it, if the water doesn't steam then its nowhere near hot enough. If after doing this numerous times your brake still doesn't work properly then its either not set up well or the pads are contaminated.

could be that the rotor isn't great as my friend ran these brakes over in morzene on his santa cruz vp-free for the whole summer and had no probs at all but with using old hayes disc rotors, in fact he was very impressed with them compared to mono m4 brakes and a whole assortment of expensive disc brakes he's used in the past

they could also need bled, avid juicy bleeding kits use two syringes and take a long time to bleed as there has to be strictly no air in the brakes at all or they wont work well

failing that you could try some decent pads like ebc reds or greens

hope that helps

How about finding the longest and steepest hill you can, going to the top, getting some speed up on the way down and hang off the brake. Best way i've heard of for bedding in a new disc.

I think this is best idea too (Y):D Worked for mine. But also do it in the wet as the rain cools it down :D