The Demise Of Long Bikes

rathergoodpie

Im getting bored of the whole sidehop - gap - drop gap thing

i agree and also,, i am amazed that people still measure then in inches !!

about a year ago the geometry talk fully changed to MM,,

lol anyhoo..

are the giant's 1045? i don't even know! but owning 1 myself i loveee it to bits, but its just this feeling you see your mates with different bikes...and you have a go on it..then you suddenly want to have a change and get 1 of them bikes...

i think thats whats going on... people always fancy a change...but its just a waste of money really (if you go back to the short frames)... because you'll soon notice what suits you best after having to try both long and short bikes!

and i think short bikes are the way forward...best all rounder! in the summer i'll stick some marzocchi;s on it and go trail riding too :lol:

steve

Worrdddd!!!!

I to am making the change from 26" long low and BLACK :P to 24" fun.

I used to ride a old skool echo Es and it was so much fun, pretty much perfect length but I decided to get something longer to try, the BT 5.....it suits me very well, the length is great and my general riding has improved all round but after about a year it's just getting pretty boring. I've come to s stage where im not really getting any better or worse, go out riding and do the same shit over and over. Pretty frustrating, so I wanna have fun riding again so when i've got the dosh im getting the new 24UK, new wheels on the new hope hubs.

Can't wait, spin spin manual gap tap. :P haha it'll be harder to tap etc I reckon but meh, it'll be all good. I thought when I got my BT it was going to be harder but it's sooo much easier.

Like I keep saying, long low and silver is so yesterday ;) haha na it's cool, if your progressing.

Anyway, cant wait for the day to wack a pic up on here, that'll be a proud day.

Rob (Y):D

Edited by Rob P

Worrdddd!!!!

I to am making the change from 26" long low and BLACK :P to 24" fun.

I used to ride a old skool echo Es and it was so much fun, pretty much perfect length but I decided to get something longer to try, the BT 5.....it suits me very well, the length is great and my general riding has improved all round but after about a year it's just getting pretty boring. I've come to s stage where im not really getting any better or worse, go out riding and do the same shit over and over. Pretty frustrating, so I wanna have fun riding again so when i've got the dosh im getting the new 24UK, new wheels on the new hope hubs.

Can't wait, spin spin manual gap tap. :P haha it'll be harder to tap etc I reckon but meh, it'll be all good. I thought when I got my BT it was going to be harder but it's sooo much easier.

Like I keep saying, long low and silver is so yesterday ;) haha na it's cool, if your progressing.

Anyway, cant wait for the day to wack a pic up on here, that'll be a proud day.

Rob (Y):D

Aye get your new bike and some photos pronto....

1060 with somewhere to sit is all you need.

The introduction of lots of 24" bikes seems to be where its all heading....i cant remember 1 guy on 1 a year ago!

I think lots of BMX influence as well has just made people more streety and seeing quality lines and stylees just make us want to copy them.

I love my long and low t-rex, although it is a tank, and still use it in as many ways as possible. Trying to get as much 24" streety love i can get out of it. It seems to of handled everything quite well so far, :lol:

Steve (Y)

is this a question of long versus short??

To be honest it seems like a question of natural/UCI/Trials versus riding street style. I can appreciate that trials has splintered a bit. Technical, versus street tricks. But pro trials is hardly going to die because people ride in cities, is it?

Big gaps seem easier on longer bikes, but I don't seem to go any further. Maybe I'm doing it wrong :P Don't say buy a BMX though. I can't ride BMXs, they just seem wrong. You can't do what I do (Trials ;) ) on a BMX anyway.

That hits the nail perfectly on the head for me.

I can see why people love their long bikes. Koxx did kinda start a revolution, and long bikes have brought about lots of new techniques and tought people ride bigger and further. But I for one could never ride one of those bikes.

I borrowed a mates pitbull for a whole day once to try it out, givbe it a proper test ride, not just a couple of backhops. I could see why they gap nioce and sidehop well and would be eaier to ride on natural, but it still felt very arkward and the bike felt so big it was hard to control at times.

24" suits me. It wont suit everyone, but I can ride better trials than on my mod or stock, and better street than I ever could on my bmx..But most of all I have fun. I can go out and enjoy riding whether we';ve got a single bench or a trials heaven.

long bikes are good for both street and natural BUT more so for natural in my opinion. and have found this out in my natural riding ability, yet my street is still good/better than before except im missing the concept of "fun" on the street like when i was in leeds thursday night with everyone there was a good compromise of long bikes and short bikes, and you could easily see the difference the short bikes were kool to watch for good quick flicky moves yet the long bikes for big taps sidehop gaps etc etc. but in theory i think you would get away with a 1050/1060 ish wheelbase bike of doing street/natural on quite easily. i think i would like to try a "Caisso" frame to see how i would get on with a frame of 1060/1065 wheelbase, and would hope that i could ride street as well as i could natural on it. i may decrese in the natural department as a longer bike for natural is sooooooooo much easier as everything is so much easier to bridge or get front wheel hooked over so can make things a tad easier.

most of all the compromise of having a long/short bike shouldnt be a debate as such it should more be a personal preference and take this into consideration "as long as your having fun your bike could be 1metre long it could be 3.5metres long, the fact of the matter is enjoy what you do,if you dont try something different until you find something that you do enjoy and have fun on" :)(Y)

Waynio.............................

i have loads of fun on my belaey but when i see bucky bunnyhopping it makes me feel so useless as i can see that he has sooooooooooo much fun in his own "street" trials way. dont get me wrong i really enjoy how i ride street and have fun but sometimes i do wish i could watch other riders and re-itterate it similar or a bit different but do sometimes think "god id love a slightly shorter bike for the street"

each to their own, but hey guys and gals, if your having fun who cares how long/short you bike is :D

try selectbikes.

theres 2 different lengths to most frames nower days so you have like a "small" and a "big" or you could put it "short" and "long"

Waynio...........................

(quoting above of like the echo control, the old echo pure etc etc)