Caustic Soda?

deanie-b

takes anodise off.

i used rubber gloves, those you get for doing the washing up if you're a pansy.

i used goggles aswell, just for kicks. and a scarf covering my mouth so i could breathe freely, room i was in was not perfectly ventilated.

I think it's a super stron alkaline type substance, that will probably strip paint like a pressure hose cleans ants from a patio hahaha. Do you just need to get the rim out? because you could probably get a wire coat hanger and fassion it into a crude hook and then get it out and hose it down to clean off the residue, that would be the simplest, crudest method! but that stuff is evil so be carefull!

Try not to pour it down the drain either i guess...

And if you have to, it's probably be good to dilute it as much as possible. Should have all the warnings on the back of the bottle/canister.

Also, if you were being extra careful it'd probably be a good idea to do it when there were other people around.

Caustic soda is a corrosive to metals! So don't use it too long, and also I wouldn't even bother using at all if you can help it. Good for removing anodise, but do you REALLY need to? It is some nasty stuff, and if I were you I'd leave it well alone.