Profile Trouble

stiffnips

Hey there,

I am having trouble with my profile, it isn't old atall really i got it just before xmas from tarty bikes and it just keeps skipping (loads) and it keeps sort of catching so as i'm rolling along the hub would catch as if it wanted to swing the cranks around :blink: i was just wondering if there is a reason it is doing this so soon and once i have fixed it could someone tell me how i could maintain the hub to avoid this happening again.

cheers, Nick

Dont know a great deal about inners of profiles or many hubs for that...

but from what i read and pick up, i imagine its to do with too much grease on the rachet/pawls/springs...

So the common solution that i know of is to, undo the "body" of the hub by the sprocket...

theres a big lock nut with two flat edges , right ? :- ...

undo that and pull but over something like an icecream tub incase for some reason springs/pawls fall out...

then basically just give the pawls,springs, rachet a good rinse with warm soapy ? water and rinse again with normal water...

and finally relubricate with gt85 ? right, or some other thin lubricant :ermm:

who ever knows the full shizzle bout this feel free to correct me ;)

search ?

Edited by jersey rider

If to much grease was cause it to spin the crnks it would be a constant drag, if its catching and putting a lot of force onto the crnks to spin them forwards, its more likely to be something else.

sounds like a spring may have become disloged/wasnt installed properly during manufacture. This would cause it to skip, and to catch. If you dont want to have a look yourself, i expect Tarty bike ould take a look, and deal with any waranty issues with minimal hassle.

Did you bed it in properly?

The simplest answer, this is probable the most likely. When I firtst got my profile I rode it to my mates to get chain tensioners and it was skipping like f*ck. Problems were

I hadn't bedded it in at all :lol:

The chain was too loose

Make sure the chain is tight before you start trying anything. Then take it on long rides and it should bed in nicely for you. Try not to go whizzing down hills though, just a nice speed :D

theres a big lock nut with two flat edges , right ? :- ...

undo that and pull but over something like an icecream tub incase for some reason springs/pawls fall out...

Thats just the lockring for the cog :- To get at the springs, all you do is pull out the driver and turn it (freewheel direction) to help it. The springs could fall out but doubt it.

EDIT: Also just struck me, if its trying to lock it could be because some fragments have come off your pawls. It happened with me and a mate of mine. All you do is take the driver out (as said above) and clean them out (Y)

Edited by PaRtZ