Computerally Gifted People!i Need Help!

butcha87

Heya,cheers for coming in.

Basically,when I fire up my Dell desktop, the Dell loading screen comes up, and that loads all nicely. However, after this, things go a bit wrong.

The screen goes black, and usually the windows loading screen comes up, but it doesn't now. Also, the computer makes a very audible clicking noise every few seconds ( hard drive trying to load up?). After a couple seconds, the screen comes up with primary disk drive 0 failure, press F1 to go to setup and F2 to go to utilities or something or other?

Is my hard drive f**ked?Anyway to solve this without a format?How do I format?

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

The first thing to try is to re-seat all the cables connected to the hard drive, the IDE/SATA data cable at both ends, and the power connector into the drive.

If this doesn't work and it's still within warranty then get on the phone to dell as it sounds like your hard drive has ceased to function correctly.

The first thing to try is to re-seat all the cables connected to the hard drive, the IDE/SATA data cable at both ends, and the power connector into the drive.

If this doesn't work and it's still within warranty then get on the phone to dell as it sounds like your hard drive has ceased to function correctly.

the clue is in the error message.

I've known several disks to start doing the clicky/snappy noise, sometimes data was recoverable, others it wasn't. Try not to turn it on and off too often as you could be causing damage that will prevent you salvaging data later on.

dont let dell palm you off with reformatting the disk - you definitely want a nice new replacement one - preferably bigger and faster :D

Cheers for all the replies!I realise formatting will result in data loss!

If it is any help, my computer first started getting problems where it would get the blue screen of death upon startup, with the words UNMOUNTED_BOOT_VOLUME.

After this, I tried reconnecting all the IDE cables, and it started saying Primary Hard drive 0 and 1 not found. The clicking noise was solved by adjusting the cables. I then played with it again and left it for a fortnight, and now I have my current problem.

I will give Dell a call in the morning!I am going to be mourning the 15GB of trials videos I've lost, as well as all my music and schoolwork!DOH!!!!

>_<

Cheers guys

Thats what I thought..untill.......................

Do you have either of the following;

A) 2 computers

OR

B) 2 hard drives?

(same thing really)

If so then I can send you a peice of software that recovered my 50gb of stuff from my external after it decided to fook itself after I reinstalled windows.

Normally you have to pay but some bloke sent it to me, worked a treat.

Just transfur all data to another hardrive, format yours, then transfur all back, SORTED!

Give me a bell if you want it (Y)