Rear Xtr Or Rear Maggie?

Trials Boy

What would work better?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What would work better?

• XTR Rear V Brake, XT Lever, Heatsink Pads, Odyssey Linear Cable
    • Rear 04.05 Maggie With Heatsink Pads And Everything Else Normal

well...double the votes for a maggie....and it's easy to see why really..

MUCH CHEAPER to buy..(at least second hand- dirty cheap), selection of pads that are more than 3mm thick so you grind your rim and still have pads, compatible with most current frames, minimal maintenance, more resistant to mud/general crap (IE: you don't need to clean the inside of the hoses...ever)...

I did run an sd5 with heatsink pads for a few months, and it wasn't actually all that bad...if i used tar and pulled the lever really hard. But it just didn't have the lock that a maggie has. And, if you ride in very muddy places, grit and allsorts'll mess up the cable and it feels terrible..

anyways..

IF you'd asked about the front, i'd vote v every time (well..i'd probably vote disc if i could afford one) over a maggie....

adam

MUCH CHEAPER to buy..(at least second hand- dirty cheap), selection of pads that are more than 3mm thick so you grind your rim and still have pads, compatible with most current frames, minimal maintenance, more resistant to mud/general crap (IE: you don't need to clean the inside of the hoses...ever)...

cheaper? v brakes arent that much, i got my first sd7 arms for a fiver, xtr lever for a tenner and bought new pads at 18quid, so not really all that different. 3mm thick pads? you obviously only look in halfords for pads :P crvs, spanish flies, and heatsink to name a few, all come in decent thicknesses, i still havent worn a set out-except spanish flies, which was down to experimenting with frequent fresh grinds

v brakes will also fit most frames, you can get 4 bolt converters, which before you say it, are a similar price to 4 bolt mounts for maggies....maggies are anything but minimal maintenance for the majority-everyone seems to have to rebleed theirs all the time :S although i never had that problem to be fair...

resistance to mud-well if you run decent cables then you should be ok, but that is the 1 'weakness' that v brakes seem to have over maggies-thing is, the majority dont seem to ride offroad frequently so it doesnt seem as bad, and runnign a quality cable helps...

I did run an sd5 with heatsink pads for a few months, and it wasn't actually all that bad...if i used tar and pulled the lever really hard. But it just didn't have the lock that a maggie has. And, if you ride in very muddy places, grit and allsorts'll mess up the cable and it feels terrible..

sd5s arent that good though, so its not a fair comparison using budget brakes, the use of tar suggests you didnt set it up well. i ride my bike on all kids of terrain, mainly my farm, which of course is muddy as f**k and so my bikes tend to get clogged up-so far i havent had any trouble with my cables :) so again, possibly a setup/product issue? if you are usisng anything but linear slicks or nokons, it will feel like shite

anyway, i see why maguras are popular, status-woop i have hydro, im cool, they look a tad tidier, they have a large number of riders who use them so cant be that bad, they come in pretty colours, kids say wow when they see them-cos they look odd, and they can work well if set up right-i used to get on fine with mine until i realised there was better...

my main reason for not liking maguras is the build quality, poor alloys, poor seals, horrible feeling lever blades(never quite seemed to get on with rb blades-but didnt get much time with them, but they have thier downsides too), they are a fiddly setup and just seem to much more of a pain in general than vs, for no gain? anywho, if you like your maggies, thats cool, its your choice :)

maggies are anything but minimal maintenance for the majority-everyone seems to have to rebleed theirs all the time :S although i never had that problem to be fair...

Count me in with the "Don't really have that problem" crew :P If you didn't either, and you seem to hate Maguras, it can't really be the case :P

resistance to mud-well if you run decent cables then you should be ok, but that is the 1 'weakness' that v brakes seem to have over maggies-thing is, the majority dont seem to ride offroad frequently so it doesnt seem as bad, and runnign a quality cable helps...

Doesn't have to be off-road, simply wet weather can rape V-brake cables. They just don't seem to last as well, and they lose that initial "awesome" feel after a while once the cable stretches, but you don't really get that with Maguras.

anyway, i see why maguras are popular, status-woop i have hydro, im cool, they look a tad tidier, they have a large number of riders who use them so cant be that bad, they come in pretty colours, kids say wow when they see them-cos they look odd, and they can work well if set up right-i used to get on fine with mine until i realised there was better...

I wouldn't say 'status' or anything like that made me prefer Maguras over V's. The difference in power and hold was the main thing, plus with a good water bled a Magura just feels a bit more effortless to use. Equally, in wet and skanky conditions, I've found that you can get a Magura to hold better than a V just 'cos you can keep applying more and more pressure without getting stuff like cable stretch and shit like that.

my main reason for not liking maguras is the build quality, poor alloys, poor seals, horrible feeling lever blades(never quite seemed to get on with rb blades-but didnt get much time with them, but they have thier downsides too), they are a fiddly setup and just seem to much more of a pain in general than vs, for no gain? anywho, if you like your maggies, thats cool, its your choice :)

I'd say that having to dick around with V-pad washers, the fiddly spring bolts, checking the tension's correct in both sides, aligning the arms, having to try and hold the pads in place whilst tightening them up with one hand, having to f**k around with the cable to try and pull more/less through - all that's done with just 2 easily accessible bolts per caliper on the Magura, which is a lot better. The 2-bolt ones are utterly shit, but the 4-bolts are pretty untouchable setup wise. Like I said, 2 bolts on each side - waaaaaay better than all the f**king around with V-brakes.

I guess it is largely personal preference, but I just took issue with some of the points you raised :P