Universitys

nb88

Alright guys, just seeing if any of you have got any opinions on which university to go to. I'm going for an engineering degree with foundation year (i dont have maths a level). At the moment i have 3 offers - Loughborough, Birmingham and Manchester. I've also applied to Brunel London and Cardiff.

Do any of you go to any of those unis? Im particularly interested in loughborough and birmingham. Manchesters a bit far and brunel is expensive so im not sure on those.

Just let me know what you think of the city, sports facilities (i know lough is rlly good for that sort of thing) and generally the people there. I'm gonna visit most of them but give me some opinions if possible!

Also if anyone else is goin to uni next year what are you studying and where?

Cheers B)

Nozman

Cheers spacemunkeeeeeeeeee sounds well good from those posts :D ill hopefully go check it out soon! lots of trials riders/cyclists by the sounds of it too :)

oh yeah and what are the halls like? self catering would do me :) preferably on the network aswell (if there is one). Are the rooms spacey in most halls?

Every hall is connected to the network and internet (10mb) etc

Take a look on here for all the info on the halls: http://accommodation.lboro.ac.uk/welcome/welcome.php

It tells you which are self catered and which arent etc..

Room sizes vary, id say elvyn has the smallest. My rooms about medium size (william morris, which wont be around next year due to being refurbished and turned to self catered) .. i think towers has the largest, but you'll be able to see the sizes on that site.

Each hall has its good and bad points to be honest. When you do come on your open day or whatever they will show you around one of them .. i got showed elvyn ( i dont like elvyn because of the room sizes) so was a bit put off. But now im here and been to see mates in different halls there is definitely some great places. All on campus (edit: forgot about john phillips, self catered and is about a 5 min walk from the union... i wanted to go there this year but didnt get in) and a 15 minute walk will get you from one end of the uni to the other so its not a mission to get to lectures.

Edited by Spacemunkee

Come to Swansea and keep me company!! :D Only 200 UCAS points (Y) for the 4 year foundation course (i need to do cos I dropped a level maths)

But yeah in terms of recognition Loughbourgh or Brunel are very highly reccommended for Engineering. I cant go there because it is cheaper for me (a sutdent living in Wales) to go to a Welsh universities, where fees per year are £1,100 :P instead of £3,500

Come to Swansea and keep me company!! :D Only 200 UCAS points (Y) for the 4 year foundation course (i need to do cos I dropped a level maths)

But yeah in terms of recognition Loughbourgh or Brunel are very highly reccommended for Engineering. I cant go there because it is cheaper for me (a sutdent living in Wales) to go to a Welsh universities, where fees per year are £1,100 :P instead of £3,500

Thats well harsh, because you live in wales you have to pay more to go to an english uni :S

Mega bad, didn't realise that was the case

As for Luff, it is a damn good Uni and I wouldn't have thought you would regret going there

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/prospectus/achievements/nss.html

Another vote for Loughborough. The engineering courses are excellent here, and I've got to say the time I've spent here so far have been the best three years of my life. Oh and if/when you come up for an open day, if you want any more detailed tour of anywhere, let me know and ill should be able to give you one. The only place i don't have access to is halls as i'm living off campus.

Been to the Luff a fair a few times 'cos my bro goes there, and it seems an awesome Uni (not least for sports!). He was in Towers first year, and I remember his room being awesome. But yeah, it's a cool Uni, and has a decent ranking position in the tables.

Don't know much about the other Uni's, but if you're into your music you'd pick Manchester. Those f**kers get every awesome band going there all the time.

One thing I'm not sure of: In Wales and Scotand students don't pay top up fees, however does it apply for Welsh and Scottish students only. Let's say I get into Cardiff, I'm English so will I have to pay the top up fees?

Tom

What type of engineering are you going for? Or is it straight "engineering"?

Id have thought at a guess Brunell would be the best out of those if you want the best out of your degree, as it will probably be more respected? I may be wrong though. However, Loughborough would probably at a guess have a better social life, though I dont really know much about the place.

Cheers for all the comments :) i could consider brunel but im going for 4 years and accommodation will be sooooooooo expensive. I'm going for a foundation year and then i get to choose between any engineering course if i pass, im not sure when i have to choose by. Not really sure what i'd go into, maybe electronical as i have already done a project for an engineering scheme on it and it was pretty good. I can see what theyre all like in the first year (Y) . Thanks for those loughborough links, looks like a decent place :) i will hopefully get to look around the halls on a visit, tank rider itd be awesome if you could show me around sometime, ill let you know when im going (Y) cheers mate.

oh and what exactly are top up fees? ive heard a few things about them like wales students not having to pay them this year but what are they, how much £?

also is there a safe place to put my bike? no chance of it getting stolen or anything (ill probably get insurance)? where do you guys keep yours?

Cheers :D

Noz.

oh and what exactly are top up fees? ive heard a few things about them like wales students not having to pay them this year but what are they, how much £?

I think at both Brunel and Lbrough you'd pay £12,000 extra in top ups over the 4 years :) No way around them, starting next year unfortunately.

Oh yeah also do you actually have to go to university interviews? is it all planned etc around you? i got an interview offer from cardiff and im not really interested in going there anymore....i may go anyway since my sister lives there but my only 2 choices right now are loughborough and birmingham really.

Is cardiff a good university for engineering? anyone here go?

it'd be good to have the interview experience...although they are usually very informal..

They aren't usually planned to suit you...they'll give you a day and a time, but if you really can't make it, i'm sure they'd offer you another day...

I remember the loughborough tour...ahhh..the memories...the union video- dang...that was loud (Y)

adam

Is cardiff a good university for engineering? anyone here go?

Not sure about engineering, but I lived in cardiff for a year last year, in a student house.

As for Cardiff Uni, I lived there for a year (last year), my girlfriend goes to uni there as do my old housemates. I found it was a really nice city, very friendly in terms of a city IMO - it just has a friendly 'feel' to it. Nightlife is good no matter what you're into. Theres bar fly and metro's for alternative types and shit loads of townie clubs for anyone else. As for money... its pretty cheap, houses are about £210-£230 a month. Basically I like cardiff, although the job I worked there was a pile of shite, when I revisited about 3 months later, in the taxi I just had a sudden "i like this place" kinda feeling. Think i'll live there for a while when I get a bit older.

Cheers tom. i've been around the city a lot before as my sister has lived there for a few years- seems full of friendly people and a good night life (Y) , ive never been inside the uni though. Also - these top up fees, if i went to a welsh university would i not pay top up fees for my first year, then pay the next 3 years? or do i not pay them at all? i dont really understand how they work.

Also had an offer from brunel today, 160 UCAS points whatever that is (sounds very low!). I put my firm choice as loughborough and second choice as birmingham but that doesnt really make much difference in what uni i choose..

I put my firm choice as loughborough and second choice as birmingham but that doesnt really make much difference in what uni i choose..

um.. it doesnt? :ermm: i thought as soon as you put your firm and second choice down they were the only ones you can get in to. Otherwise clearing.

um.. it doesnt? :ermm: i thought as soon as you put your firm and second choice down they were the only ones you can get in to. Otherwise clearing.

My tutor said i can choose whichever i want...maybe it wasnt the firm/second choice but something to do with the school then