I Got Wireless Internet In My Room But

fredrico

Hi i got a wireless connection put into my room but the problem is that it shows that it is connected but i do not have an icon to actually get on to the internet and i cannot find one so i was wondering if anyone could tell me how or where i can get the connection. I'm using Bt voyager if that helps. Thanks in advance (Y)

Edited by fredrico

LMAO, need more information..... I have a car, but its broke, whats wrong?

You have a working connection to the router? Can you access the router menu? Are thier other computers that are able to access the internet? Do you need to set up network adapter or will an allocated IP be ok. Do you need to tell it what domain to use? Have you tried just plugged directly into the router, before going wireless? Can you ping an IP address? Do you have a firewall? Can you see netwrk shares on other computers on the network? Is the network secure? Have you got the right password etc for the network?

Change your homepage :ermm:

I would recommend trials-forum.co.uk B)

Its not the homepage that is wrong its that it comes in the freeserve internet browser option (Which is the old one from like 4 years ago) and it shows the wireless icon on my desktop toolbar that it is connected. It is working on 3 other pcs in the house. i can access the wireless options and it has been paired with the router and is connected its just i haven't got an option/icon to go onto the internet such as a fire fox link or internet explorer. I hope this made a little bit more sense i'm just useless with computers :S

Its not the homepage that is wrong its that it comes in the freeserve internet browser option (Which is the old one from like 4 years ago) and it shows the wireless icon on my desktop toolbar that it is connected. It is working on 3 other pcs in the house. i can access the wireless options and it has been paired with the router and is connected its just i haven't got an option/icon to go onto the internet such as a fire fox link or internet explorer. I hope this made a little bit more sense i'm just useless with computers :S

You don't need one. Just open up Internet Explorer as normal (or go to Start > Run > type 'iexplore' and voila).

ok i have done everything but now my problem is that i type in iexplore.exe in the run box but the internet opens up in a freeserve window which is the old modem/server which obviously is not connected so really my question now is how do i convert(if i do convert it) the internet supporter from freeserve to fire fox but using the bt broadband connection? thanks (Y)

Can you try and explain from the very start what setup you have, which modems you are using, ISP etc etc?

Also do this for me: Start > run > "type "cmd" and press enter. In the black box that pops up type "ipconfig" and post up what it says there.

Ok the pc which the router is running on is the standard xp and the router is a Bt Voyager 2091 Wirless ADSL Router and my pc is using windows 98 and the wirless reciever is a BT Voyager 1050 Wireless USB Adapter. The isp is BT

And when i type 'cmd' into the run box it says "it can not find the file 'cmd' or one of its components"

Ok the pc which the router is running on is the standard xp and the router is a Bt Voyager 2091 Wirless ADSL Router and my pc is using windows 98 and the wirless reciever is a BT Voyager 1050 Wireless USB Adapter. The isp is BT

And when i type 'cmd' into the run box it says "it can not find the file 'cmd' or one of its components"

Ok, we are getting there. Have you installed the drivers for the USB adapter? Is it even compatible with Windows 98?

i can access the wireless options and it has been paired with the router and is connected

How do you know that?

Start | Programs | MS-DOS Prompt

Type "ipconfig" in the box that comes up and copy the results here.

You can also try "ping 192.168.1.1" and see what happens (Y)

Ok i typed in ipconfig and it says

© Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1991

C:\Windows>ipconfig

Windows 98 IP Configuration

0 Ethernet adapter :

IP address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway. . . . . :

1 Ethernet adapter :

IP address. . . . . . . . . : 3.0.0.2

Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

2 Ethernet adapter :

IP address. . . . . . . . . : 169.254.21.82

Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

C:\Windows>

And i know its connected because in the toolbar if i put the cursor over the connection icon it will say something like conenction good or marginal.

If i click on it it comes up with the connection details and it shows the signal strength and the ssid etc.

If i go onto firefox it all loads apart from the middle which say server not found it origionaly said server not found using firefox... so i changed it to google but that hasnt changed. Will it have anything to do with the proxy because i dont know what to do with them? :S And thanks for your help so far(Y)

Edited by fredrico