Riddle

Tomm

Well I'm not really into copying and pasting every chain email I get sent, but this one is a bit different. I usually think about these things for a couple of seconds and then try and cheat and find the answer on google. But even the intarwebs don't seem to have the answer to this one.

Any ideas?

One man has six of them, two men have 8.

If women have them, they are halved.

If children use them, they have 18.

I have none, but you have several.

They are red at day and black at night.

What is it?

syllables?

got it , the answer is 'answers'

I found that when I googled too, but it doesn't really make sense. Why would children have 18 answers exactly? Maybe if it said "if children use them (use answers? what?), they have about 18" or something like that. I ain't convinced by that anyway.

“One man has six of them” six syllables

“Two men have 8” four syllables, doubled -> ‘8’

“If women have them, they are halved.” men is one syllable, woMEN splits the syllable in half (creating two syllables)

“If children use them, they have 18.” nine syllables (‘18’ / 2)

“I have none, but you have several.” The riddle is given to you; I have no syllables and you have ‘several.’

“They are red at day and black at night.” Words are read (phonetically red) at day and unreadable (black) at night.

“If women have them, they are halved.” men is one syllable, woMEN splits the syllable in half (creating two syllables)

“I have none, but you have several.” The riddle is given to you; I have no syllables and you have ‘several.’

“They are red at day and black at night.” Words are read (phonetically red) at day and unreadable (black) at night.

i think you're barking up the wrong tree there mate, in fact i think you're in the wrong forest

If that's the answer then it's officaly the world shittest riddele.

Really very tricky ... :blink: . This is a major clue "They are red at day and black at night , " but gets me no closer . Also , by the phrasing of it , men always have it , whereas women and children can choose to . Hope to edit this soon with the correct answer when a flash of inspiration occurs .

( could take some days...)

Edited by Endohopper

Its either something very complex or very simple. My first thought was it was the cones which reflect light in the human eye (technically these would be red in the daytime and black at night), but the numbers don't fit.

If children use them, they have 18.
Something to do with teeth?

I'm just trying to work through all the physical aspects of men and women to see how many of what we've all got. I've got the missus here and we're both trying to work it out by counting things. You don't know how much fun this is......

Now I just need a child.....

Rich

Edited by karsonlevoret

Use the numbers...

1+6+2+8 = 17, halved, 8.5

8.5+18+0+7 = 33.5, which upside down on a calculator looks like SEE...(or sea for the sake of argument)...

They are red at day and black at night...Red Sea? Can't see it at night...

Theres my f**king pointless contribution...

Isn't there a problem with the logic here? The riddle speaks of the unknown in plural (When women have THEM), but then asks what IT is? It goes from describing something in plural to asking for a single thing...

Does this strike a chord with anyone?

This has been puzzling me, but i GOT THE ANSWER!

"Bruises caused by me punching people"

Think about it and read the riddle:

One man has six of them, two men have 8. Cos i punched one guy lots for making this friggin riddle, then punched another guy twice for the hell of it

If women have them, they are halved. Because Im a nice guy, so I only beat women half as much

If children use them, they have 18. Cos they can be pains in the ass

I have none, but you have several. Obviously I'm not gunna punch myself.

They are red at day and black at night. Bruises, duh.