Bleeding Caliper

anzo

Hi,

Last night I tried to bleed my caliper (hope mono trial) and to no luck. It had no oil in so I topped it up and got it going though the system, using the guide I found on here.

I'm more used to bleeding motorcycle brakes but this one just seemed to be a right b*****d. I set the pistons back, and then the fluid started coming though (after opening and closing the nipple a few times) and then, all of a sudden a piston fell out and oil pissed out of it.

Whats happened? Blown a seal? I have zero experience in hope brakes, and don't know how they are fixed together, are they 'floating' with internal pistons? f**k knows...anyway, I pushed the piston back in and set it home again, and no oil leaked out so I don't think its a seal that has gone.

Any help? Is this normal?

Hi,

Last night I tried to bleed my caliper (hope mono trial) and to no luck. It had no oil in so I topped it up and got it going though the system, using the guide I found on here.

I'm more used to bleeding motorcycle brakes but this one just seemed to be a right b*****d. I set the pistons back, and then the fluid started coming though (after opening and closing the nipple a few times) and then, all of a sudden a piston fell out and oil pissed out of it.

Whats happened? Blown a seal? I have zero experience in hope brakes, and don't know how they are fixed together, are they 'floating' with internal pistons? f**k knows...anyway, I pushed the piston back in and set it home again, and no oil leaked out so I don't think its a seal that has gone.

Any help? Is this normal?

When you bleed the brake make sure once you have removed the pads to wedge something inbetween the pistons. By the sounds of it you didn't do this and the pistons have fallen out.

Start by moving the brake lever so that the top cap is level then. Remove the wheel then the pads. The make sure you wedge something between the pistons.

Then your ready to bleed.

Start by putting a small piece of pipe over the bleed nipple then remove the top cap of the lever.

Turn the bleed nipple 1/2 a turn to open it and pull the lever back to the bar and hold it against the bar.

With the lever still held against the bar then close the bleed nipple. Once it's closed the let go of the lever.

You should notice the fluid in the top cap is being sucked through the brake.

Be careful not to let the fluid in the top cap run out keep it topped up.

Keep repeating this process and you should notice the air coming out at the caliper through the bleed nipple that you put that small piece of pipe on.

When there is no more bubbles coming out of the tube you should close the bleed nipple for the last time then fill the top cap to the brim with fluid so that when you place the cap back on you get a little over flow of fluid.

Clean any brake fluid up and re fit you pads and wheel. Pump the lever a few time and if all went to plan you should now have a working brake.

Paul