Upcoming Next Trials Personalites

Revell-Bikes

Hey all,

Just wondering who will become big trials personalities like the Martins (ashton and hawyes) in the next few years? examples of possible riders:-

Danny Bulter

Chris Doney

Ben Savage

James Hyland

Wayne Mahomet

Craig Lee Scott

Akrigg?

Unknown?

if you have a opinon about this topic or add more riders you think will be big in the future of british trials or in the world (can be foreign riders as well like Hermance, for instance)

Pat

Hey all,

Just wondering who will become big trials personalities like the Martins (ashton and hawyes) in the next few years? examples of possible riders:-

Danny Bulter

Chris Doney

Ben Savage

James Hyland

Wayne Mahomet

Craig Lee Scott

Akrigg?

Unknown?

if you have a opinon about this topic or add more riders you think will be big in the future of british trials or in the world (can be foreign riders as well like Hermance, for instance)

Pat

I think some of them are better than ashton and hawyes any way, i don't like the riding style of them 2 even though they have been riding for agers i think they are no mach any more for some of the riders now.

its not about their level of riding- well its about how "popular" or "famous" they will be to the MTB and biketrial world e.g appearing in mbuk, tv etc. ashton has appeared in mbuk more times than any other trials rider has been in it. and the martins are well known in japan. so its about how well known they will be.

Pat

its not about their level of riding- well its about how "popular" or "famous" they will be to the MTB and biketrial world e.g appearing in mbuk, tv etc. ashton has appeared in mbuk more times than any other trials rider has been in it. and the martins are well known in japan. so its about how well known they will be.

Pat

O ok sorry about that but i still think martin hawyes is that popular i herd of allot more riders before him,but ashton dose allot of demos so thats why he is so popular.

Any way to ansers the question i think it will be cls or ben slinger. (Y)

good opinons there ash, there are many others that could go big in the future as well, even though they arentr well known now, but will make a impact around the trials community with their riding personalities.

nice one keep them coming in- the more opinons there are, the better to see who would be more likely to go big. (Y)

Pat

Popularity , like sponsorship is not just about going big . The rider needs to be representative of the sport and be a generally nice bloke ( or lady ?) No attempt to slate Craig La Scoot , but a one trick wonder won't cut it , a good allrounder , capable of riding demos , comps , both natural and street is what is needed .

Besides , Sir Martyn of Ashton is a generally likeable fellow , who inspired many ( including myself ) to begin , or continue investing in our sport .

hmm inspiration can play a big part in Ashton's career, in which in fact some other pros inspire young rider by setting up masterclasses, demos and even biketrial school by monty (cesar canas and Ot Pi) check the big bike park/school on www.biketrial-spain.com, so it isnt just the riding, its how people are influenced by their personalities. i think if Butler or Savage set up masterclasses and do a lot of demos like Ashton, they'll be well known alongside their achievements and theyre still teenagers! (Y)

after these opinons from y'all made me realise the main factors making them going big in the future.

come on fellow riders we need your opinons!

Pat

Edited by Revell-Bikes

I think it's mostly just that Ashton and Hawyes (specifically Ashton, I've never really met Hawyes) and really friendly and promote the sport super well that makes them still the riders in the forefront of most of the riding population's minds when they think of trials. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone complaining about Ashton getting arsey at a comp, shouting and swearing at comps, shouting and swearing at peopole on message boards and so on, not to mention the work he/they do for MBUK, and doing demos and so on. So pretty much in answer to your question about the next trials personalities, I think it's gonna be a while before we see the next Ashton/Hawyes - no disrespect to any 'big name' riders around now.

I guess the fact they got their foot in the door first probably helped them a lot too, as they've been the main guys in MBUK and UK trials for quite a while now...

it won't be (imo)

- a mod rider (to hard to sell the little wheels to the mtb lot)

- a 'serious' comp rider (maybe the likes of butler, slinger, etc - because comps are there priority and comps don't get too much coverage in mags [its a shame] - they will be mention and in it occasionally, but they won't be the 'stars' going on mbuk roadtrips etc.

- someone doesn't have an outgoing personality

so bascially I am thinking the likes porter and waynio - already got themselves hooked up with ashton/trial noir and other bits...

also i think 24" could make an apperance as the tricky side to it , will be good selling point

mike

I don't really think they'll be any...

Hard to explain, but i doubt on one will ever be in the 'limelight' as much as the privious 'personalitys' have. It's just the way it is.

Ackrigg without a doubt,

Ackrigg's been around for donkey's years though and he's not really got to where the Marty/ins are/were. I think he's perhaps a bit shy, or perhaps he concentrates too much on comps or doing his own thing. Which is totally fair enough, but I don't think he'll ever be in MBUK as much as Martyn. What about Danny Holroyd? He does a few things with MBUK so far and he's still pretty young. If he keeps it up, he's my tip ;)

JT i totally see where your coming from!!!!! its the person that cans tep into someones boots not change something BUT become a similar person. and like you say its not that striaght forward.

Akrigg is a very kool and composed character he comes across "shy" as he likes to do his own thing and doesnt like getting into squabbles or troubles he physically lets his riding do the talking...........

i think from my point of view porter will become a character and is one that could possibly replace or be JUST like Sir Martyn Ashton.

i think on the other hand there are people like ben savage who are great but again like akrigg quiet and let the riding do their talking.

Ben slinger, danny B excellent riders nad such forth but again it doesnt spring into my mind that they could be at the level of ashton or hawzee. its weird to explain like JT says. but one person for me has stood out since July last year when i met him on the roadtrip in bristol and its the young man i have named above POWPOWPOW porter.

theres other lads such as sam wheeler who has a unique riding style and is a great character.

theres alot BUT the problem is no one is there to need to fill in for ashton as he is still there and to me is STILL and always will be a major part and influence on bike trials in the UK.

Waynio................................

yeah i also agree with jt (Y) I cant see anybody becoming famous through trials. :S I think all the good people are already known, and those who are getting there are slowly becoming known

For all you know, I could be the next trials star :P haha

this is gonna sound bad, concidering we both ride for select bike's and so on. but who is porter?

who are you? and who are we? James Porter is a big sausage dog with blue ears and large testicles

haha dont be guillable and believe that whatever you do.

Porter is quite a large rider for selectbikes. Go to the vids forum and search for James Porter and youll understand what a crazy luny he is. Also there are a few videos on the selectbikes page (Y)

i dont think that people will be able to get to the position where the martins are even though there are many more riders who are better then them.

the martins are not crazily good anymore imo but are still well known as theyve been around so long.

i dont think anybody's mentioned fletch yet.

he is getting crazy good and better known all the time. it's also good that he turns up on rides to mix with us lot.

there are a few people that are becoming big trials personalities but they will probably not get to the well known status like the martins and ot pi

Tom

i dont think that people will be able to get to the position where the martins are even though there are many more riders who are better then them.

the martins are not crazily good anymore imo but are still well known as theyve been around so long.

i dont think anybody's mentioned fletch yet.

he is getting crazy good and better known all the time. it's also good that he turns up on rides to mix with us lot.

there are a few people that are becoming big trials personalities but they will probably not get to the well known status like the martins and ot pi

Tom

cough http://www.trialnoir.com/Resources/tn%203.mov - ashton can still hold his own B)

I don't think there will be more trials personalities like the Martins.

They made trials look cool with extensive trials articles and stunts in MBUK and there videos for a start. It worked because trials wasn't very popular, and always looked a bit geeky. When the Martins rode, it wasn't competition results that looked good, it was thinks like the earlier Bike Shows (98 and before), their crazy bikes and so on.

Trials is so popular now that there's nothing particularly special about the trials moves. Every serious rider here regularly/sometimes rides with guys who can do top-level stuff, people like Porter, Damon and co. It sort of takes away the exclusivity. When the Martins shot to fame, it was because no one else was doing that kind of stuff.

I'd say Akrigg is close behind the Martins, purely because he was riding back when people had modified XC bikes and stuff. As far as personalities go, Porter and Wayne for a start, great guys, but a lot of good riders come across as boring, something the Martins never were. I just think it's a different world now. Has Rey was the boy, but half of todays generation of riders don't rate him because he has sus forks and can't do 50 inch taps.

EDIT: Just one other thing... a lot of the riders we know that are good are unknown to people outside of trials. Bear in mind that the stuff the Martins did, thanks to the coverage, was enjoyed and respected by mountain bikers world-wide, regardless of their own discipline. I got into trials because I saw those guys ride - they made it look accessible to anyone.

Edited by snappel