Pc Troubles

Caleb

Pc is acting up again since i have started using an i pod, all my desktop icons are un recognised and the pc comes up witht he options to open each individual program from a web page or browse for correct file etc. . .

really pissing me off.

Now. . . im due a re boot anyway but when ever i try and download a copy of windows xp it never works .

plus when i do go to reboot can i just do it from booting up from the xp disc and that will wipe everything?

any ideas?

also still getting a lot of adware despite downloading, spyware searc and destroy, ccleaner, tracks eraser pro, avg, and adaware se etc. . . .

Danny about ??

cheers lads

With the downloading XP part. I wouldn't download it now. If I were you I'd buy it. Microsoft are starting to crack down on pirate copies of Windows. They're finding new ways of not letting you get the updates and stuff.

I know I'll be buying a copy of it soon. It's only around £60 or so now. (Y)

£256?! :blink:

£79 or so from here!

OEM version is not boxed. For a full boxed version it costs 259.99 from the pc world store, or 233 if you buy online, or its 151 pound for the upgrade version. There was something else about OEM versions, like they die with your computer, so basically you can only install it on 1 pc.

There is a few things you could benefit from having a full version, i'd like a full version, but if i was going to pay that much, i'd wait for windows Vista.

Edited by Hoot

I would really not use a crack on xp, Its better to just use an official copy like siders said. This is a local shop near me who i bought my pc from last year and they sold me the oem copy of xp with a piece of hardware that i bought (new case fan £3.99 and £1.99 mouse).

There should be some shop near you that will do the same kind of thing. Safer than downloading anyday, and not that expensive.

Ah cheers for the help lads but dont fancy splashing out all that money if i can get a copy really, cant exactly d load atm either.

few more questions. . .

my pc sometimes crashes and just turns off could this be to do with cooling if so, is it hard to fit additional fans and which are the most cost efficient ones to go for.

anyone know any really good broadband providers that dont cap downloads and give unlimited access, high speed cheaply?

as im sure im on 512 atm which is shared between 3 pc's . . . :(

and would anyone sell me a copy of xp with a cd key, i have paypal money (Y) wont register the disc or any of that crap too so it can still be used again etc.

any suggestions on the icon thing too?

OEM version is not boxed. For a full boxed version it costs 259.99 from the pc world store, or 233 if you buy online, or its 151 pound for the upgrade version. There was something else about OEM versions, like they die with your computer, so basically you can only install it on 1 pc.

There is a few things you could benefit from having a full version, i'd like a full version, but if i was going to pay that much, i'd wait for windows Vista.

PC world is a rip-off with ost of their products anyway, and a box obviously isn't that important which is apparant by the way the guy doesn't even want an official cd.. he's been downloading it.

It's not hard to fit new case fans at all, a chimp could do it. My tiscali seems to be alright, unlimited broadband at 2.2mbps and its only £14.99 a month. I've had a massive downloading spree lately so i will let you know if we get charged extra or anything silly like that. i doubt we wil though.

Edited by Krisboats

PC world is a rip-off with ost of their products anyway, and a box obviously isn't that important which is apparant by the way the guy doesn't even want an official cd.. he's been downloading it.

Well all i'm saying is that he shouldnt buy the OEM Version anyway because i'm sure ive heard somthing about them on a proper computer forum. I will ask for there opinion anyway and let you all know!

Ah cheers for the help lads but dont fancy splashing out all that money if i can get a copy really, cant exactly d load atm either.

few more questions. . .

my pc sometimes crashes and just turns off could this be to do with cooling if so, is it hard to fit additional fans and which are the most cost efficient ones to go for.

anyone know any really good broadband providers that dont cap downloads and give unlimited access, high speed cheaply?

as im sure im on 512 atm which is shared between 3 pc's . . . :(

and would anyone sell me a copy of xp with a cd key, i have paypal money (Y) wont register the disc or any of that crap too so it can still be used again etc.

any suggestions on the icon thing too?

Case fans are really easy to fit, but you have to be carefull when playing around in your pc's case because of static etc. Get some advice on what to do before you go opening your case up and stuff, people may tell you that they have never had any problems or anything and to not bother with any anti static wrist bands etc, but if i was you, i wouldnt take the risk.

Edited by Hoot

ahi've fitted basic stuff like sound cards and wireless network cards etc before, just didnt know about if fans would be any harder and where to look and which to go for.

Depends on what mech your fan has really. What socket you running?

Post from Computer Forum....

"Just installingSpybot S&D will do nothing to protect your PC!! It needs to be set up to scan your computer regularly, and turn the tea timer on too - that is a good tool that alerts you everytime the registry is being changed, and asks for your permission.

As far as the iPoo situation goes, just un-install the thing, it serves you right for putting it on there in the first place!!!

No seriously, un-install the device and look for some updated drivers on the crapple website.

And do you mean re-install when you say reboot? If you do infact mean re-boot (turn off and on again) then that is the first thing I would suggest doing.

If you actually meant re-install, then that is a little drastic don't you think?

Sorry about the Apple thing - just couldn't resist lol."

Edited by Hoot

when i say reboot i meant re format sorry.

it has been overdue for a while really, and yeah i have set up all the spyware and adware blockers correctly, i get the popups asking for site acess allowance but still get a lot through, im running mozilla and have adblock and fasterfox enabled too.

i got the i pod very cheap so i cant complain im pretty sure it needs sending back though anyway.

how do i find out what socket im running?

the icon thing comes up with "Windows cannot open this file "

file : . . . . .. . .

to open this file windows needs to find the program that created it blah blah blah

do you want to open it with eweb page

or choose program from a list . .

says that on pretty much every icon i try to go on now . . :(

when i say reboot i meant re format sorry.

it has been overdue for a while really, and yeah i have set up all the spyware and adware blockers correctly, i get the popups asking for site acess allowance but still get a lot through, im running mozilla and have adblock and fasterfox enabled too.

i got the i pod very cheap so i cant complain im pretty sure it needs sending back though anyway.

how do i find out what socket im running?

the icon thing comes up with "Windows cannot open this file "

file : . . . . .. . .

to open this file windows needs to find the program that created it blah blah blah

do you want to open it with eweb page

or choose program from a list . .

says that on pretty much every icon i try to go on now . . :(

What processor have you got in your pc??? Then for other fans, check wether your case can have a chassis fan, and check if your MOBO has a socket for one.

Edited by Hoot

might be an athalon, i have an asus motherboard if thats anyhelp, are theyre any sites you can go on that will show you what you're running?

seem to remember something similar to that being posted up a while ago.

i got the pc last chirstmas from a computer shop on ebay called ce electonics or something cant remember the processor though, has 200gb hard drive and 1024 ram thats all i remember looking at :$

might be an athalon, i have an asus motherboard if thats anyhelp, are theyre any sites you can go on that will show you what you're running?

seem to remember something similar to that being posted up a while ago.

i got the pc last chirstmas from a computer shop on ebay called ce electonics or something cant remember the processor though, has 200gb hard drive and 1024 ram thats all i remember looking at :$

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....=online+pc+test

If its an athlon it could be 1 of 3, either Socket A Socket 754 or Socket 939

I would really not use a crack on xp, Its better to just use an official copy like siders said. This is a local shop near me who i bought my pc from last year and they sold me the oem copy of xp with a piece of hardware that i bought (new case fan £3.99 and £1.99 mouse).

There should be some shop near you that will do the same kind of thing. Safer than downloading anyday, and not that expensive.

If that shop is so good, why is he selling windows 2000 at 113 pound, yet windows xp for 87 pound?

Thats home edition, its 79.99 for home edition in Pc world also. And thats the upgrade version, you cant install that on a pc without windows, you have to have windows 98 or 2000 or ME to install that.

Yes you can install that version of home edition if you hav xp already because thats what i did.

Or am i just not gettin what you ment.

Cheers Thurston