Petrol V Deisel

Caleb

should be getting a car pretty soon, and have my eye on the peugot 306 1.9 turbo diesel.

now i know that deisel's are more efficient and last a lot longer, but what are they like performance wise compared to petrols, and could anyone reccomend any necassary upgrades from the standard engine etc?

also anyone know of any decent websites with info on about car engines etc and maintainance and modification.

as i would like to be pretty competant with any work that would need doing if i were to break down etc . . .

Ah kk, been looking one for a while now, keeping seeing them with like 150k on the clock , looking for like 90 ish if poss and wanting to spend up to a grand for a good one.

nice sig btw i have the tee shirt :P

any ideas on sites that tell you how to fit/fix parts, or should i just google something like peugot performance?

i wont be buying any soon though, just interested in learning about car mechanics as itwould be very handy :)

im temrs of performance/insurance cost/economy..... the 306 tdi is one of the best around!

considering its gp5 insurance they go really really at about 110bhp, can return almost 50mpg if driven proprely, and dont cost the earth to insure!

also built on a good platform, so tehy do actually handle nicely enough

shame theyre french really....

for an every day car, im sad to say that deisel takes it every time these days!

you can get 50mpg from a deisel, whereas a petrol with similar performance will return 35mpg.....

sad but true......

oil burners for every day use...

petrol if its your passion...... and u want to upgrade. past chipping them and upping boost a BIT, you cant do sodd all on an oil burner, theyre also not really DRIVERS cars, as its all low torque, and the minute u pass 3.5-4k its all gone.....

Diesels are slightly more efficient as said above, and slightly more powerful. By that I mean you can use them at very low revs (usually in first) and they wont cut out as quickly as petrols. Another way of thinking of this is you don't need to accelerate when doing a reverse park, you just use the clutch :)

And don't say thats b*llocks because I've just done a reverse park today with using the accelerator at all :P

Same as me. I've been impressed with mine

Only thing that slightly lets it down is over taking, but most diesels suffer the same. You have to just drop one gear, and keep the revs above the turbo spool up threshold, and everything is groovy.

The change of driving style is quite different too. I use my gearts a lot more effectivly now, mainly because of the short power band, although the astra pulls quite well from 1.5k to 4k.

Most of all though, I have noticed a huge cut on fuel costs. My old 1.6 306 did about 80 miles to a £10 serving at 89.9p, where my 2.0 astra does about 120 at a £10 serving at 93.9p. So I'm a very hapopy bunny :)

Only downfall is they're not as fun to drive, because you can't just drop it down 2 gears and get a constant tug like a petrol, but you soon learn.

But when you get to a hill its got a constant tug!

I find most of the power is between 2k and 3k rpm, which makes it handy for booting it in 3rd when you get out of a 30mph zone :lol:

And i probably do about 200+ miles a week and have never had to stick more than £20 in it a week.

Surely any mpg you gain you lose straight away due to the fact that diesel is usually a good 5p extra than petrol. Back in the day when diesel was cheap it did work out well, but nowadays.. they cost a shit load to fill up. Comparison here:

My coupe 2.0 se - Full tank costing £35ish will do 260miles. Thats with a 50 g tank.

My dads landrover - Full tank.... 70? maybe more will do about 280 miles. Tank size? huge...

Yes i know there is the "weight of the cars" etc etc.. but that still doesnt do the figures justice. Then theres the drive of a diesel.. they suck balls in my opinion. Theres sod all power there and i hate the fact they sound like tractors at low revs going through town. When they start producing ceramic blocks getting the efficiency of a diesel super good.. then ill buy one. At the minute diesels are stupidly inefficient.

The way i see it is petrol = winner. If your worried about prices of fuel.. convert to gas.. something ridiculously low like 50p a litre...with only slight reduction in performance of a petrol.

I thought it went 1.6 16v, 1.8 16v, 2.0 turbo, 2.2 16v and various linearossa's, 888's and all the like in between...

somebody started a fuel consumption thread on astra-sport.co.uk so ill go check that, a bit fairer doing astras Vs astras! haha

Sorry if I'm repeating but skipped pretty much all the thread :P

306 TD is f**king ace. Can't chip the 1.9TD cause they're mechanical injection but because of this you can wind the boost up and fueling to suit manually and have yourself a pretty rapid motor. Mates selling his at the mo and thats pretty quick as standard!

been looking at getting a car like a diesel. But whats the insurance like compared to say a 1.2 petrol car. I'm 18 as well and yet to drive. Would it be more expensive to insure say a 1.6 diesel compared to a 1.2 petrol car?

Sorry to highjack your thread :P

To be honest i reckon it would cost you more to insure a diesel in one way (due to turbo's) but then.. due to running more "efficient" as some people have stated, then id expect the insurance to go down ( some companies look at car emissions... so sad isnt it). Best bet is to just get a online quote?

Another way of thinking of this is you don't need to accelerate when doing a reverse park, you just use the clutch :)

And don't say thats b*llocks because I've just done a reverse park today with using the accelerator at all :P

That doesn't just happen with diesel cars ;) Unless MY instructor hacked the "D" off the back of his car...

To be honest i reckon it would cost you more to insure a diesel in one way (due to turbo's) but then.. due to running more "efficient" as some people have stated, then id expect the insurance to go down ( some companies look at car emissions... so sad isnt it). Best bet is to just get a online quote?

Insurance companies will give you cheaper quotes as they see diesels as cars to get from A-B, low acceleration, low emissions and people are less likely to stick a big fat exhaust on it and a spoiler to keep it stuck down to the floor (as we all know that 1.1 Saxos have a tendancy to lift off the ground when going 90mph).

I know insurance companies ask if the car is in any way modified from the standard model (eg. alloys). But when you are with your insurance company, do you have to declare any changes in the engine (eg, getting it chipped)?.

It wouldn't suprise me if you did, makes sense, but I really do wonder about how many people do that and don't declare it.

For the insurance / chipping thing I think I know what's meant to go on.

Any modifications, you're meant to tell them. Literally, any. Arches, Alloys, Immobilizer, Engine modifications especially, as it increases the power and max speed of your car, meaning that it is a higher risk to crash, so they love to wack your premium up.

If you were to crash, have a small bump say and smash the front end up, they probably won't come and inspect the car, just get you to sort it, send them the bill if everything's okay with them. Which is was with my friend.

If it's something big, and someone is fatally injured, claiming lots of compensation, or you were speeding / driving stupidly, and the police or other people towed the car away, it's much much more probable they'll look at your car, however fairly unlikely they'll notice any CPU differences to be quite honest.

If I were you, I'd get it chipped and not tell them, if anyone says anything, just explain you didn't know the people you bought it off had chipped it as they didn't tell you, but I still think they can't get out of any insurance payouts if they do find you didn't declare it, unless it's something to do with lots and lots of speed.

Thanks what I think anyway :)

Nick