Try All Freewheel

KOXX-UK

Freewheels have arrived at last.

I opted to have them delivered without the box and extractor, mainly to keep postage costs down when posting out.

They have become a “must have” all over Europe, so the factory could not send as many as I wanted.

If I make it up to Tykes at the weekend I’ll take some with me, along with a MONSTERBOY.

Fred.

Ok, Im going to be as honest as I can.

Ordered off Fred Yesterday. He isn't your typical business man type guy he actually took the time to explain why the boxes and tools arn't inculded. Something which to be honest im glad with, a saving of a Fiver for postage and not having to consider where im going to put an empty box that I don't want to throw out. and allowed me to buy the nescessary crank tool anyway at halfords. All in all, I had very pleased in that he took time to talk to me, i've only talked to fred once before about a week ago briefly, again that time he was most helpful.

Enough of that, now down to the freewheel itself.

Fitting this was quite frankly an absolute pain in the arse. I had to spend half an hour with an angle grinder taking the shitty acs off, so that had put me in a crappy mood from the start,got the acs off, cleaned the threads somewhat and tried the try-all one on. It was extremley hard to turn, when I had expected it to simply turn on by hand like my acs had. I hadn't crosse threaded it or anything like that, after a few more failed attempts I lost the rag and ordered a taxi (mum) to the local bikeshop where I let the fella have a look at it there, to be fair he near shit himself when he asked how much it was, and couldn't understand why trials bike's run front freewheel, but he's a sound guy and is fairly knowledgable, so without luck at the LBS I came home and phoned fred again. A woman answered and I briefley explained the problem and asked if it would be possible to speak to fred about it, again this was at about half 2 on a saturday afternoon, and he was literally walking out the door, the following conversation lasted a further 5-10 minutes, I felt bad for having delayed the man, but he was a great help explaining how he had the same trouble with some and that a wire brush on the crank threads would help, gave that a go and eventually after much brushing and cursing, managed to bodge it on using the headset tool I made to keep the tool stuck to the freewheel, it really did take persuasion, but being sure I hadn't cross threaded it I was happy to give it some pasty.

The build quality is excellent, nothing's loose, and the engagement is great, havn't had a proper ride as it's now pouring down outside, but hopefully that will change during the week....

So far so good (Y)

IPB Image

Edited by jake1516

Ok, Im going to be as honest as I can.

Ordered off Fred Yesterday. He isn't your typical business man type guy he actually took the time to explain why the boxes and tools arn't inculded. Something which to be honest im glad with, a saving of a Fiver for postage and not having to consider where im going to put an empty box that I don't want to throw out. and allowed me to buy the nescessary crank tool anyway at halfords. All in all, I had very pleased in that he took time to talk to me, i've only talked to fred once before about a week ago briefly, again that time he was most helpful.

Enough of that, now down to the freewheel itself.

Fitting this was quite frankly an absolute pain in the arse. I had to spend half an hour with an angle grinder taking the shitty acs off, so that had put me in a crappy mood from the start,got the acs off, cleaned the threads somewhat and tried the try-all one on. It was extremley hard to turn, when I had expected it to simply turn on by hand like my acs had. I hadn't crosse threaded it or anything like that, after a few more failed attempts I lost the rag and ordered a taxi (mum) to the local bikeshop where I let the fella have a look at it there, to be fair he near shit himself when he asked how much it was, and couldn't understand why trials bike's run front freewheel, but he's a sound guy and is fairly knowledgable, so without luck at the LBS I came home and phoned fred again. A woman answered and I briefley explained the problem and asked if it would be possible to speak to fred about it, again this was at about half 2 on a saturday afternoon, and he was literally walking out the door, the following conversation lasted a further 5-10 minutes, I felt bad for having delayed the man, but he was a great help explaining how he had the same trouble with some and that a wire brush on the crank threads would help, gave that a go and eventually after much brushing and cursing, managed to bodge it on using the headset tool I made to keep the tool stuck to the freewheel, it really did take persuasion, but being sure I hadn't cross threaded it I was happy to give it some pasty.

The build quality is excellent, nothing's loose, and the engagement is great, havn't had a proper ride as it's now pouring down outside, but hopefully that will change during the week....

So far so good (Y)

IPB Image

looks absolutly beasty but what happens when cleaning is necesary? not talk it off the crank?

Don't know, Fred said he had had problems himself, and that a wire brush enabled him to screw it on easily by hand, wire brusing didn't give me the same effect, but I managed to get it on eventually in the knowledge that it was straight and on the cleaned thread's. I imagine he was putting them on try-all cranks as he said they were spares for a trial.....

Admittantly afterwards there were small bits of burr, from where the metal on my cranks had obviously been taken away, but it was minimal, and the freewheel is now secure.

I guess time will tell about other cranks and such..... Just odd, that a dicta and acs will screw on by hand, but a try-all won't. Fred said that there may have been minimal differances in the thread due to them being differant freewheels and differant manufacturer's, unless Koxx have a larger tolerance in their goods than others, which isn't something I'd imagine.

Not sure, but I like it. :)

Judging from the Toxsin guys saying they received one of those freewheels which had threads that were way too small for a normal freewheel, maybe they're still just super tight? Either way, have fun getting that off :P I think that freewheel would probably be pretty awesome if it was just easier to service. Be interesting to see some pics of the inside too.

Hint hint? :P

haha, it's not coming off them cranks untill it absoutley HAS to. I could get it off alright, but it's getting it back on again that is my main concern, so those wanting to see internals will have to wait for some other muc. I dont want pawls and springs everywhere :)

Yeh, if 'anything' means My Monty Crank's, why pass such a judgement at this stage, have you tried one?

I'd rather have to put something on with a bit of strength knowing it's not likely to unscrew the other way, in effect the freewheel is being held on the cranks in a much more effective way than an ACS atleast, I havn't a clue about how easy other are to 'screw' on andoff by hand. Rather than just the first few thread's locking into the outerside of the crank arm, they all do.