The Top Gear Thread

Smo™

On 17/06/2016 at 0:01 AM, MadManMike said:

Not condemned, I just think it's a crap idea to try and keep the same thing running.

Same as BMW Mini's. They're good, but they're not Mini's. I haven't condemned them as a car, I just think it's shit that they're branded as a Mini.

CdPURRkUsAAV073.jpg

That just reminds me of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't really warmed to that Rory guy, just doesn't seem to have 'it' somehow.

I assume a fair wodge of cash must have gone in Chris Evans' direction from the BBC to enable this to happen.  Be interesting to see how it goes though.  I've watched, in bits, around 1/3 of an episode in total so far just because I can't really deal with his shit.

I agree that Rory just doesn't quite work... there's just something that doesn't quite click. The stuff he's doing requires a Tiff Needell or Vicky Butler-Henderson. I'm still really not feeling Joey though. Everything he does just seems staged and scripted- there's very little natural about his performance from what I can see.

Matt LeBlanc's a strange guy, he always seems to be extremely reserved in real life, not just on top gear but on interviews etc, where as his character in friends was exactly the opposite.

Also, only very slightly related....

Anyone remember this show?

Thank God he's gone, I like Chris Evans on TFI Friday etc. But he was just awful on TG, onwards and upwards, for TG that is.

I don't understand why Eddie is on the show, he just doesn't seem to bring anything positive to it. He's just that annoying old git that still hangs around thinking he's cool whilst smelling of piss and cabbage. Sabine is fantastic in the cars, not so much out of it and she does seem to struggle with the language and humour; comes across as obviously scripted.

Matt grew on me as the show went on. Can't fault Chris Harris and Rory is pretty much there.

They just need to make it new, not just regurgitate the same old stuff.

• Like 1

I think the key to what Evans is good at is whether or not he built it. He built Don't Forget Your Toothbrush, TFI Friday, the CarFest stuff, his Radio 2 show and more. All are great. He didn't build Top Gear, and that was my biggest disappointment. He didn't even try to make it his own, and that decision ended up making everything look fake and forced. It's a shame, but hopefully the show will now go onwards and upwards.

Eddie needs to go. Sabine also needs to go (plenty of other people who are good in a car who would also be good outside of it).

• Like 1

Possibly - on the 'new' TFI Friday he seemed to have the same hollow "Look at me I've got loads of energy" vibe, but it just doesn't really work as well any more.  I imagine he was on a decent wage for being there and probably had some sway with how things were done, so I'm pretty sure he could have tweaked aspects of it here and there. 

Someone in the production should have been able to clock that the direct bites from old TG (e.g. the intro) just didn't work.

I think whoever replaced Clarkson as the main TG presenter was always in for a tough ride. Whoever replaces Evans won't be compared to Clarkson and how good he was, but compared to how bad Evans was. I genuinely don't care for Evans, never really got him or his humour but think he really got served the shit sandwich here. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

It's a massive indication of just how bad The Grand Tour was that I enjoyed the new Top Gear so much last night. Glad it's back on track, although plenty to do. They've started putting their own stamp on it, and that's good.

Hopefully TGT will improve just as much for season two...

• Like 1