How To Build A Wheel.

Mark W

thanks alot! just built my wheel for the first time and was easier than expected and didn't take long at all to lace it. but it is reasonable straight but how do i true it without it beening on the bike or on then truing things?

Why can't you just true it on your bike?

I will also say thanks for this mark, if i ever do find myself in the situation where I have to build a wheel i will look at this guide!

Hi

That all sounds good, I used this to build my first wheel, laced the second side up a bit wrong though so if your not sure check out the description in the thread as you cant get it wrong with that. watch this guy!

Hope you dont think I'm hijacking this thread, hoped that seeing as well as reading will help people!

Edited by murph82

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I wish i found this guide 2 weeks ago i would of saved my self £10 getting my wheel poorly trued by halfords.

I followed this guide (32H 3X) and my wheel is perfect straight as an arrow and its not egged.

thanks Mark w for writing this excellent guide..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm still highly confused, I'm gonna have a go at building a front wheel in a few weeks which is 32h so do I just follow the guide as it's written with the same gaps between spokes and stuff?

yes. it's really quite simple when you get going.

the most important bit is

pic13rightholewb6.jpg

The rest is pretty self exlpanatory once you get going.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, wheel is built and is pretty true. The only problems I've had were the fact it wasn't dished properly though I think I've sorted that but now it has a very slight bob where the seam in the rim is. Any tips??

Might try and get a vid up of it later but for now I'm at work so can't!

As I understand it - that's more down to the build quality of trials rims.

I just leave it... but then it's an acknowledged fact that my wheels won't stay 'round for long anyway :P

It's only a tiny bob, if it's the same as I've experienced. Hardly worth getting stressed over considering we never actually get up to any real speed, anyway!

• Like 1

Well I stripped the wheel and restarted this morning putting the spokes in the correct offset holes. Was a bit more of a pain as the spokes were all slightly bent from the previous build so I've had to true it up quite a bit but it is now near enough straight. It still has the bob though it is at the seam so I assume it's purely because of that so I'll leave it be.

I actually really wanna have another go at doing another wheel now though I'm not confident enough to try and do my rear wheel as I don't reckon I could get it straight enough to run a rim brake on!

If the rim bobs upwards, it needs pulling towards the hub, so tighten the pair of spokes (one ds one nds) a quarter turn and bed it in, keep doing that until you see some results.

If it already bobs downwards, you may need to loosen a pair. As has been said though, its hard to get trials rims 100% but you should be able to get it 99% with a little time.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

As mentioned above, I don't have any back-ups of them sorry! If I was going to do a wheel build tutorial on how I currently get my wheels built, it'd involve "Drive to Glasgow, get Ali to build them, go ride street"...