Brakes

gundam

i crurently have been having a debate with my friend and was wondering if any one could help me out we both like maguras as they work well but was wondering if you got a really mint v brake like an avid single digit ti if the v brake was set up properly would it be able to out perform the magura? looking forward to your replies

both brakes can be good, but they have different charactistics.

A maggie seems to have more bite, they pull the same no matter how much the cable is restricted and there are more frames to suit them.

They dont seem to have as much hold as a v brake, the spring tension is non adjustable (used to give me super bad arm pump) spairs are harder to get and they are harder to set up.

A vee has bite, but not the same as a maggie, they are quiet and it takes a fraction longer to lock (I mean a FRACTION!), this suites me as it means I can ride smooth and manual and stuff. However, they are IMMENSE backwards (where it matters most in my eyes) I find it vrey hard to make my brake slip backwards

The springs are adjustable, the power and lever feel is adjustable, the pads dont wobble so they last longer and dont wear uneavenly. They are super easy to setup and you can buy spairs in any bikeshop in the world.

shame there are not more frames with vee mounts.

I love a descent Magura set-up, just because of the fact that if bled and fitted right they are very sharp. Also you dont get any cable stretch. I love my Maguras, although my V setup on my Mission is as perfect as i can get it. Both good, but maguras all the way mate :D

PS. A rim grind and a nice set of blocks on Maggies will make sure you dont slip on a wall or anything ;)

Edited by Grizzly

both brakes can be good, but they have different charactistics.

A maggie seems to have more bite, they pull the same no matter how much the cable is restricted and there are more frames to suit them.

They dont seem to have as much hold as a v brake, the spring tension is non adjustable (used to give me super bad arm pump) spairs are harder to get and they are harder to set up.

A vee has bite, but not the same as a maggie, they are quiet and it takes a fraction longer to lock (I mean a FRACTION!), this suites me as it means I can ride smooth and manual and stuff. However, they are IMMENSE backwards (where it matters most in my eyes) I find it vrey hard to make my brake slip backwards

The springs are adjustable, the power and lever feel is adjustable, the pads dont wobble so they last longer and dont wear uneavenly. They are super easy to setup and you can buy spairs in any bikeshop in the world.

shame there are not more frames with vee mounts.

maggie's dont have cables haha. but i do understand your point, although a well set up magura, i feel, will still out proform a wel set up vee brake, even if the vees are more practical, bits are easy to get hold of and they can be cheap.