Injury Advice

physio

• 1 month later...

ok so yesterday a gap went wrong and i ended up landing on ass/ back on top of frame tube. It didnt hurt at all at the time and i rode for about 2-3 hours after that then went swimming for an hour. But i went back out on bike at night and pedal kicked up and felt a huge pain fron lower back and tailbone and made me feel kind of sick. Will it just be a bruised tailbone ? hurts like f**k now to sit down and bend over.

A broken cocksix (spelling escapes me) is hugely painful but will heal on its own and could take ages!

There are ligaments in that area that could also be damaged with the same prognosis. Bruising a bone is a twat and not recomended :D but will heal a lot quicker. No real need to see anyone unless the symptoms get worse, blood in your stools ect.

I'd say rest it for a few days, and maybe clentch a bag of frozen peas between your buttocks

Without an xray you won't know, during periods of exercise endorphins (again spellingly challenged) and adrenalin ( remembered :) ) act to dull pain, among other things, its entirly possible to not feel too much pain untill after the event.

Edited by f**megently

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No pain at all, and Its improved quite a bit since i started playing football more.

I did google to check, but as far as I'm aware there isn't a problem unless there's pain or fatigue, soft tissue and ligaments passing over one another under tention can cause a clicking sound. My left shoulder does it when I used to bench, never hurt, not had a problem.

a good stretch as often as you can will help, pain = doctor (Y)

• 10 months later...

Yo! I was out riding earlier, and crashed hard out of a manual. Now, usually when I loop out if a manual, I just hold on to the bars and out my feet down, no harm done. This time, my foot was caught, so I landed hard on my back. After the brief lapse of hopping around swearing, there wasn't much pain so I continued riding, I went for a 270, and as I twisted my body I felt a sort of "snap", right at base of my sternum, and it must've looked like I was having a heart attack to a bystander, bailed off the bike, leant against a wall grabbing my chest with a pained expression. I haven't ridden (well, yes I have, but not doing any tricks) since that happened earlier, and sitting down, laying down, it doesn't matter, it's quite painful around the base of my sternum whenever I do any movement that involves my upper torso. Any ideas at all? I'm confused as I landed on my back, but the pains more at the front

Broken rib. Classic signs

been to hospital, they've worked their magic. Also told me I need an operation on my jaw in January. Bugger. Has nothing to do with my chest, but when they xrayed me they found something wierd about my jaw haha. Still hurts if I twist too sharply, so I'll go easy on the riding for a while

• 2 months later...

Hello, 3 weeks ago i fell from a rock, My orthopedist says I have a meniscus injury... They said that i should go to cirgury (probably depending of the MRI), dependie how i develop the next 2 weeks. Did someone had this same injury or something related to the meniscus?? I am pretty worried to not ride again haha

Now i can walk, but i cannot flex my knee more than 90° because is extremly painful

Some advice you could give me, or any opinion?

• 9 months later...

Been riding this hex for a few months, starting to gain the advantages that come with riding w speed- advantages like falling straight to the ground with lots of velocity, on my pogo bike I just jump off like a fairy and never get hurt. Big ass arm cut and f**ked shoulder on this one. No $$ for stitches but he body is strong and knows what to do.

After riding trials for close to 20 years, I'll say some things about injuries- RICE is a key as always, taking time to heal is very important and something I wouldn't do when I was young. 

Strength training helps with not getting hurt as much.. And doing yoga is just as important for me as I get older and the joints don't work as well.

Proper nutrition helps with healing faster- major importance on not drinking alcohol. Something that was a favorite thing of mine to do when hurt in the past. Only realizing now in my 30s how much it buggers your body up.

Hex and I are now blood brothers.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2006 at 0:27 PM, physio said:

I had been meaning to post something for ages...........

Some of you might want to take notice of advice....... some might want to just carry on and ignore what they have done and get on with it. At the end of the day there are some fundamental rules that you should be aware of when getting injured.

There are 2 types of injuries I have found are the most common in trials through me working on the fair few riders that have been injured over the last couple years and I don’t really think there’s a great deal of difference between the risks of getting injured either street or natural.

1. Impact Injuries

With an impact injury you can

just bruise soft tissue (takes about a week or 10 days to de-sensitise)

damage or tear soft tissue (4 - 6 weeks to recover)

bruise a bone (just like bruising soft tissue like a muscle you can bruise a bone) can take up to 6 weeks to settle down pain wise

fracture (old school term - break) something (takes anything from 6 weeks to 12 months to heal fully depending on the severity of the fracture)

2. Twisting Injuries

these are the nightmare ones

generally if you twist something you stretch or tear ligaments, muscles or tendons

there are general rules of thumb that kinda give you an indication of what you done

- most severe soft tissue injuries are termed as sprains

dont be fooled by the term sprain! its not a namby pamby injury that you think it is!

what i'll do is talk about ankle sprains cause this is the most common form of sprain and what i seem to get asked more questions about

An ankle sprain is a common injury and usually results when the ankle is twisted, or turned in (inverted). The term sprain signifies injury to the soft tissues, usually the ligaments, of the ankle.

Sprains are classified into three types, based on how severe the injury is:

Grade 1 - the ligaments have been stretched but are still intact. There will be pain and a small degree of swelling but no difficulty moving the ankle and no bruising.

Grade 2 - a more severe injury, involving a partial tear of a ligament. Pain will be moderate to severe, the ankle will be swollen and difficult to move and there will be some bruising. Weight bearing will be painful but you can still walk on it cause its only affecting the outer ankle ligaments and not the ones that move the foot up and down.

Grade 3 - a complete tear through a ligament. There will be severe pain, swelling, loss of joint motion and inability to walk for about 3 days. The ankle is often unstable and bruising is more extensive.

Ligaments are tough bands of tissue that help connect bones together. Three ligaments make up the lateral ligament complex on the side of the ankle farthest from the other ankle. These include the anterior talofibular ligament (ATFL), the calcaneofibular ligament (CFL), and the posterior talofibular ligament (PTFL). The common inversion injury to the ankle usually involves two ligaments, the ATFL and CFL. Normally, the ATFL keeps the ankle from sliding forward, and the CFL keeps the ankle from rolling inward on its side.

A ligament is made up of multiple strands of connective tissue, similar to a nylon rope. A sprain results in stretching or tearing of the ligaments. Minor sprains only stretch the ligament. A tear may be either a complete tear of all the strands of the ligament or a partial tear of only some of the strands. The ligament is weakened by the injury; how much it is weakened depends on the degree of the sprain.

The lateral ligaments are by far the most commonly injured ligaments in a typical inversion injury of the ankle. In an inversion injury the ankle tilts toward the inside, meaning the bottom of the foot angles toward the other foot. This forces all the pressure of your body weight onto the outside edge of the ankle. As a result, the ligaments on the outside of the ankle are stretched and possibly torn.

Initially the ankle is swollen, painful, and may turn ecchymotic (bruised). The bruising (usually a dark purple or reddy blue line from heel towards little toe direction) and swelling are due to ruptured blood vessels from the tearing of the soft tissues. Most of the initial swelling is actually bleeding into the surrounding tissues. The ankle swells as extra fluid continues to leak into the tissues over the twenty-four hours following the sprain.

People who have sprained an ankle often end up spraining the ankle again. If the ankle keeps turning in with activity, the condition is called ankle instability. Patients who have ankle instability lose confidence in their ankle to support them, especially on uneven ground. They often have swelling around the ankle that doesn't go away. Pain and swelling in a joint can cause a reflex where the body turns off the muscles around the joint. This can cause times when the ankle feels like it is going to give way, meaning it may have a tendency to twist again very easily.

The diagnosis of an ankle sprain is usually made by examination of the ankle and X-rays to make sure that the ankle is not fractured. A physical examination is used to determine which ligament has been injured. The doctor or physio will move your ankle in different positions in order to check the ligaments and other soft tissues around the ankle. Some tests place stress directly on the ankle ligaments to see if the ankle has become unstable and to find out if one or more ligaments has been partially or completely torn.If a complete rupture of the ligaments is suspected, your ankle is most likely to need to be immobilised.

The best results after an ankle sprain come when treatment is started right away. Treatments are used to stop the swelling, ease pain, and protect how much weight is placed on the injured ankle. A simple way to remember these treatments is by the letters in the word RICE. These stand for rest, ice, compression, and elevation.

· Rest: The injured tissues in the ankle need time to heal. Crutches will prevent too much weight from being placed on the ankle.

· Ice: Applying ice can help ease pain and may reduce swelling.

· Compression: Gentle compression pushes extra swelling away from the ankle.

· Elevation: Supporting your ankle above the level of your heart helps control swelling.

Healing of the ligaments usually takes about six weeks, but swelling may be present for several months. A physio will be good to help you regain full range of ankle motion, improve balance, and maximize strength.

If the ankle ligaments do not heal adequately, you may end up with ankle instability. This can cause the ankle to give way on uneven ground.

Small nerve sensors inside the ligament are injured when a ligament is stretched or torn. These nerve sensors give your brain information about the position of your joints, a sensation called position sense. For example, nerve sensors in your arm and hand give you the ability to touch your nose when your eyes are closed. The ligaments in the ankle work the same way. They send information to your nervous system to alert you about the position of your ankle joint.

Doctors will occasionally do surgery right away in people who seriously tear a lateral ankle ligament. In most other cases of torn ankle ligaments, doctors will try nonsurgical treatments before doing reconstructive surgery of the ligaments.

At the end of the day theres a load of information here just so you realise that a sprain isnt just a simple injury, especially if you have done it more than once in an ankle, knee or wrist as these explanations are typical for all 3 major joints you lot seem to screw up.

You know when you have fractured something and that gets dealt with at a&e with xrays and a cast for 6 or so weeks, then you need physio to regain strength and get back to riding

What you need to remember is that generally bones heal up stronger after a fracture in that area, so its very very unlikely that you will get the same injury in the same place twice.

However with "sprains" this is a very very underestimated injury and you should always get something looked at if you injure an ankle or knee etc when they look like these attached pics. As these are ligament tears typical swelling and must have rehab after the injury settles down!!

Torn ankle ligaments (must have rehab by physio after an injury like this)

[attachmentid=7710]

Typical Knee injury (must have rehab by physio after an injury like this)

[attachmentid=7711]

Ok so there's sooooooo much stuff to go through, but these are the most common injuries i have found through trials and at the end of the day, if you have any concerns then GO TO A&E!!! GET IT LOOKED AT

If you go and they say "its just a sprain - go home and rest it" then give me a shout

i can be contacted on this - just PM me or get me on msn or email me on silord@hotmail.com

Learn from the guys that have been suffering if any of you know who i been helping out, you know what im going on about!

but if you have any concerns or questions about an injury then feel free to drop me a line

laters

si

post-6709-1161516534_thumb.jpg

post-6709-1161516555.jpg

• 4 months later...

somebody ever got weird hip / lower back pain from trials?

my ass / lower back / coccyx -area started hurting about a month ago. at first i thought it was usual back pain and will go away, but it stayed and went more towards my right hip area (ass / upper thigh inguinal region). pain was medium-ish and i kept riding for about three weeks and then stopped because i wanted to take a break until the pain went away.

it didn't go away and today i finally went to the doctor who did the whole ado with ultrasound and xray. and the result was (luckily) zilch. so i must have pulled some strange muscle in there (no crashes and/or other memorable events happened prior)

On June 21, 2016 at 1:53 PM, jeff costello said:

somebody ever got weird hip / lower back pain from trials?

my ass / lower back / coccyx -area started hurting about a month ago. at first i thought it was usual back pain and will go away, but it stayed and went more towards my right hip area (ass / upper thigh inguinal region). pain was medium-ish and i kept riding for about three weeks and then stopped because i wanted to take a break until the pain went away.

it didn't go away and today i finally went to the doctor who did the whole ado with ultrasound and xray. and the result was (luckily) zilch. so i must have pulled some strange muscle in there (no crashes and/or other memorable events happened prior)

What kind of bike are you riding? 

Lower back was a thing a while ago I remember a lot of riding friends complaining about.. I believe your position on back wheel has a lot to do with this pain. Maybe take a photo /slowmo video of yourself back hopping / doing different moves and see where your lower back would appear to be overused or in a strange way... Adjust your technique or cockpit to get your body in a different pain free way.