Injury Advice

physio

• 2 weeks later...
having troubles with lower back after riding i have troubles moving the next day

i cant twist, sit or stand up straight any idea's with this problem?

well backs and shoulders (if not giving a problem from a previous injury) can usually be down to poor posture. so you may have the wrong stance on your bike.

what you got to remember is that to get the bike up, you got to yank hard on the bars.

this aint a natural movement. do this day in day out and you gonna strain something or pull something

however, i know this aint the answer, its just a possibility of the cause. you need to see if possibility of riding a shorter bike? (i aint a rider so this might not go down too well lol) or adjust the position you ride in so that you are not stressing the back too much.

aching is generally ok, as long as you not in specific pain and the aching doesnt prolong for more than a day or so

i think you really need to get someone to have a look at your posture, generally with the back and also when youre on the bike to see if a slight change in stance will help this go away

si

I think a lot of people get back aches in the first few months of riding - I certainly did. I presume it's just a case using muscles you haven't used before, and you're more likely to strain them - Especially if (as physio said) you are doing quick forceful movements. Unless it's really bad I wouldn't worry, because it's something that most people will get at some point. Obviously if you're worried go and see a doc/physio though.

EDIT: I don't think it's down to long bikes really - They weren't even invented when I started riding...

really bad aching fingers!

its driving me mad everyday after a ride the joints in my fingers feel really bad! im not sure whats causing it ive only had ait recently, could it have anything to do with my diet aswell as biking? ive also tried altering my bar position to help, but it didnt help much.

cheers

Bashed my shin a while back now, tried to kick my mate messing about, and he stuck his foot out when he was wearing boots. >_<

Which turned into a bump on my shin.. which hurt a bit.

Then I bashed it again, and have cut it, taken a little chunk out of it...looks lovely. :ermm:

Thing is, everytime I tap it on something, it aches soo much, makes me cringe...

On the bump, I can feel the bone? - So it's something underneath that's swollen..obviously?

It doesn't hurt at all when I ride, infact, I forget it's there when I ride/walk/whatever, it's just when I knock it, it kills!

really bad aching fingers!

its driving me mad everyday after a ride the joints in my fingers feel really bad! im not sure whats causing it ive only had ait recently, could it have anything to do with my diet aswell as biking? ive also tried altering my bar position to help, but it didnt help much.

cheers

Brake lever position is important, my ring finger was hurting like hell when i first started rear wheel sidehops, then i changed my brake lever position and the pain is almost gone now :)

Set the brake levers so they are completly horizontal when your on the rear wheel

Brake lever position is important, my ring finger was hurting like hell when i first started rear wheel sidehops, then i changed my brake lever position and the pain is almost gone now :)

Set the brake levers so they are completly horizontal when your on the rear wheel

will try that mate cheers

• 1 month later...

I have had many pedal bashes , rugby boots ect in my time but i stacked realy hard the other month and my pedals just ate my shins.

It was blue and swolen for a couple of weeks,

now thier are no bruses/scabs.

But i have HARD lumps on my shin, it dosent hurt but they are hard lumps on my shins, been a couple of months and havent gone down,.?

What the f**k?

Leo

• 2 weeks later...

i fell off a motorbike about a week and a half ago, nowt serious but i cut my thumb up a fair bit, it was all swollen up but now that it's gone down i dont have the full range of movement i used to and when compared to my other thumb it looks like about half the movement range now, also it hurts down one side and at the joint when i try to force the thumb down, any advise, information would be most greatfull

Mark

• 1 month later...
i fell off a motorbike about a week and a half ago, nowt serious but i cut my thumb up a fair bit, it was all swollen up but now that it's gone down i dont have the full range of movement i used to and when compared to my other thumb it looks like about half the movement range now, also it hurts down one side and at the joint when i try to force the thumb down, any advise, information would be most greatfull

Mark

xray mate,

thers a tiny bone in the wrist at he bottom of the thumb where it meets the wrist called the scaphoid thats really easy to fracture and it just feels like its sprained. if it dont heal right it can give you soooo much greif with the wrist and thumb long term as there is a really shit natural blood supply there in the first place and the bone just dies away - scary i know - so best get xrayed and then if all clear treat as a sprain

let me know how you get on though through a PM mate

si

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have hit my knee on my stem once too many times. I hit my knee every so often on the stem, it really hurts but wares off. I smacked it last night and spent the whole of today running about on the beach. On the train back I went to sit down and a really sharp pain came about all over my knee cap. When I place any force on my knee when my leg is at 90 degree it hurts alot however when walking I can't feel it. Knees often get abit cranky but when I place my hand on my knee and move it I can feel a big change as the leg moves up and down. Considering going to the doctors at some point as I never really get problems with stuff like this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers, Phil

I think I have hit my knee on my stem once too many times. I hit my knee every so often on the stem, it really hurts but wares off. I smacked it last night and spent the whole of today running about on the beach. On the train back I went to sit down and a really sharp pain came about all over my knee cap. When I place any force on my knee when my leg is at 90 degree it hurts alot however when walking I can't feel it. Knees often get abit cranky but when I place my hand on my knee and move it I can feel a big change as the leg moves up and down. Considering going to the doctors at some point as I never really get problems with stuff like this.

Cheers, Phil

if its the patella tendon thats been affected it can lead to additonal problems like patella tendonitis

you dont really want to be getting this as its an ongoing thing thats really hard to clear up

might be an idea we chat on msn or something so that we can be more specific wher the problem actually is

si

Cheers, Phil

I would go to the doctor asap

As physio said, you could get patella tendonitis

A friend of mine who does martial arts had this and he was out of any kind of sports for 5 months

• 2 weeks later...

got wheelspin or something off a gap today, landed real harsh on the front wheel then bounced off my bike landing with all my weight (12stone) on my wrist, i can barely move it now. if i touch it, it hurts :S its swolen up too, is it likely that i've just sprained it or could it be worse?

cheers

got wheelspin or something off a gap today, landed real harsh on the front wheel then bounced off my bike landing with all my weight (12stone) on my wrist, i can barely move it now. if i touch it, it hurts :S its swolen up too, is it likely that i've just sprained it or could it be worse?

cheers

It depends where it hurts and how much. If you can describe it a bit better then we can give you an idea, but you should probably get it checked out.

It depends where it hurts and how much. If you can describe it a bit better then we can give you an idea, but you should probably get it checked out.

more often than not wrist injuries tend to end up being small fractures rather than sprains, especially if the pain is at the base of the thumb area of the wrist.

swelling is also not good, so go a&e and get it xrayed as aprecaution mate

let me know how you get on

si

Heres a bit of a question,i've had what feels like a groin strain for upto 1 year now and some times the pain gets so bad i cant put weight on it at all without swearing uncontrollably. i've checked for lumps that might give a sign of a hernia but there is nothing at all.

any ideas?

craig

Edited by trialsalot

• 2 weeks later...
Heres a bit of a question,i've had what feels like a groin strain for upto 1 year now and some times the pain gets so bad i cant put weight on it at all without swearing uncontrollably. i've checked for lumps that might give a sign of a hernia but there is nothing at all.

any ideas?

craig

souds like a bit of a footballers condition thats quite common.

when you tear your aductor muscles the rest of the muscle group tightens up to protect it from any further trauma.

whats probs best to do it see someone, however if you want, try gentle progressive groin stretches. look for some on the net if you want. then see if you can get the thing to stretch out., therefore stopping pulling on the weak area in the muscle. and therefore stopping the pain.

try comparing your flexibility in both legs and see if the dodgy one is much worse than the good side?

any questions gid a shout on msn silord@hotmail.com

si

more often than not wrist injuries tend to end up being small fractures rather than sprains, especially if the pain is at the base of the thumb area of the wrist.

swelling is also not good, so go a&e and get it xrayed as aprecaution mate

let me know how you get on

si

wrist is all sorted now, was a tiny ickle fracture but its pretty much back to normal now

got a powerball too and that helped it loads :)

I need a bit of advice too!

I'm in training for a long coast to coast ride, from little to no fitness.

Shorter rides, no problem. 10 miles to and from work hurt, but otherwise OK. However since I've started to go longer, my left knee has been suffering.

About 20 miles in it starts to hurt, but it's ok, and as it gets worse it becomes more and more painful to put load on it. I can sit and spin on the flat, but as soon as I put load on that knee it really hurts and feels stiff.

Once I get home it stiffens up, and putting load (like going up or down stairs) causes pain too. The pain and stiffness goes away pretty quickly, but it does stop me riding for the rest of the day.

The cleats on my Spesh BG shoes have been checked and double checked, saddle is straight, and I stretch before and after I go out.

Any ideas on what could be causing it? Recommendations for supports?