Injury Advice

physio

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

got the same thing ali, i also have no power of grip with that finger now (my small finger rather than middle). I've had this before, I would say give it a week or so rest and if it is still playing up go to the doctor

• 2 weeks later...

Last october I fell backwards onto my right arm, it was outstretched and locked, hurt for a while but thought nowt of it. A few weeks later I had numbness and lost strength in my fingers on the right hand, I suspected it might be carpal tunnel (related from work use) and went to the doctors, he said he didnt think it was carpal tunnel and sent me away.

A couple of weeks later it had got worse and Id completely lost the movement and grip of my right hand so went back to the GP who referred me to the local physio. After examination she got my fingers moving under their own power and gave me exercises, I recovered all grip strength after a month and all was well.

Incidentally, before I was referred to the physio, my OH's aunt who is a trained masseuse gave me a back massage to see if she could alleviate the problems with my fingers, popped out a large knot below my right shoulder blade and asked if I had dislocated the shoulder - I suppose its quite possible it could have partially dislocated and popped back in.

All has been well up until a couple of weeks ago, I wrenched my right shoulder and it hasnt been quite right since. It is mostly painless though all ranges of movement, but I cant reach up between my shoulder blades to the nape of my neck any more. Im guessing that Ive subluxated the shoulder again so Im going to book into the gp to try to get referred again.

Anyone got any advice on dislocated shoulders, particularly rehab exercises? :)

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody else have Osgood-Schlatter Disease in their knees, or is it just me? :unsure:

Yep, had for a few years and was playing rugby which made it so much worse. Right knee is now fine but the left has permanent bony lump which is still a bit sore. I always, always, wear knee pads on the trials bike now.

Piece of advice... if it hurts, stop, or you'll end up with a mutant knee for the rest of your life like me.

Edited by konstant
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

while your on the subject of knees i snapped my chain today and proper cracked my knee on the stem it has hurt all day, i cant walk, straighten it or bend it for that fact, the stiller it is the better, is it possible i,ve fractured it.

I broken my hands and hip before but they are nothing compared to this. any advice would be a great help

cheers

• 3 months later...

A super bit of information, thankyou my good man. I have an interest in this at the minute because I fractured my ankle a while back and got the cast off a few weeks ago. My doc told me I won't need any physio and can build the leg up by myself. Have you any advice on exercises and movements I can do other than swimming and walking? And what's the best plan of attack once I can get back on my trialbike? Thanks again chief.

• 3 months later...

Always stretch and warm up/pump up your muscles before riding to prevent injury. Especially in cold climates its important to keep yourself warm because your muscles are not ready to do work. When your body is not warmed up the blood flow is not there, which may lead to muscles being torn easily and muscle weakness. If injured, for example a shoulder: Try to not do anything overexerting while still in pain or push it past its normal flexibility. As the days go on in the morning it will be the most stiff. Get the blood flowing by just running the shoulder through its range of motion. Always good to keep blood flowing, that is how the tissues repair themselves. When pain is resonable. Do some lifting to activate muscles around the joint. This will also increase stability around the joint. You will find that your shoulder will feel the best after doing a workout as a result of increased bloodflow, range of motion, strenth and stability. As weeks and months go on the pain should compeltely subside if healing is good. Improve on your form and try to to have the same thing reoccur.

Strengh training goes a long way with trials riding and with almost any other sport besides chess. If you are strong from lifting weights you will be strong when on the bike. Extra muscle mass protects joins and keeps them stable. The bike will feel lighter, this translates to increased strenth, stability, and endurance on the bike. THe bike will be easy to pull up on. Do exercies in medium to high rep to keep your muscles in good shape. Do low reps if your looking for noticble muscle mass and strength; you may be sore for many days though during recovery of doing low reps, this may translate to poor biking. Once recovered though after a week you should feel very strong on the bike.

dumbells and other freeweights when lifting properly have the ability to bring your muscles out. When you start playing with dumbells your muscles come out to play too. Grip srength forearm and bicep strength will be increased through the entire range of motion.

Deadlifts activates your lower back/whole body like no other. All your muscles come out to play from back, shoulders, arms, and legs. Start with low weight i find going any higher than 135lbs to 150lbs may not be benefical for trials. And try to rep the weight, keep it like 10 to 20 reps. This will result in yourself having a very stable and erect posture. You should stand taller and your body should feel very stable. Now get on a trials bike and pull up on the bars and balance on the back wheel and it is almost effortless compared to before lifting.

I can go on all day about weight lifting and bikes cause i love both. I beleive weight lifting helps speed injury recovery in some cases becuase blood flow is high and tissue are being strengthend. Too much rest is bad i think because it causes the injury to stagnate. Its better to keep it moving and it will return to its original state. Days after injury/surgery you want to start stretching the healed injured tissue to try to eventually match its uninjured counterpart. Scar tissue can be tight and painfull to strech sometimes but it will feel better in the long run and you will have the same range of motion as the uninjured side.<<this needs to be done. . Fight the pain!! Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!

now im just babalying. This was my 2 cents.

Pete

Edited by Philly_Biker
  • Like 1

while your on the subject of knees i snapped my chain today and proper cracked my knee on the stem it has hurt all day, i cant walk, straighten it or bend it for that fact, the stiller it is the better, is it possible i,ve fractured it.

I broken my hands and hip before but they are nothing compared to this. any advice would be a great help

cheers

It is possible to fracture your patella(knee cap) After injury if possible it is good to get an x-ray to rule out fractures. An x ray may be hard to get though, I know i dont have access to an xray machine or have health insurance. Medical bills are expensive,, just throw some duct tape on it and drink some robotussion and everything will ok. Just kidding.

Bottom line: Get an xray if you think it is fractured. And do what the doctor tells you. Get a stronger chain and replace them regularly. Wear knee pads (yeah i know its not cool or comfortable).

-Pete

Edited by Philly_Biker

• 1 month later...

Alright i have this problem, if i have been riding moderately hard for over a couple of hours whenever I 180-drop off anything bigger than 3ft my middle finger on my left hand gets 'stuck' muscular-ly around the bars and starts to hurt. I have to physically remove my left hand with my right at which point my finger retracts right up to my hand and starts to have little spasm-siezures. I have to either push on the muscle/tendon on the top of my hand at which point it kinda 'pops' or pull the finger away from my palm with my other hand, which seems to take a small amount of force but there is no 'popping' or pain from this and it works as normal once it has returned to it's rightfull place. I experience a medium amount of pain through my finger, down my hand and through my wrist when this happens, although this could be enhanced by shock as it has only happend to me 3 times. I have never suffered any finger or hand problems previously. Any advice or shall I just go ahead and make a doctors appointment? Anyone else experienced this? Any idea what it could be so i can tell the doctor what I think it could be? :ermm:

• 2 weeks later...

Left hand feels a bit tingly, what I imagine carpel tunnel to feel like, a little numb on the thumbs and fingers. . . .

I'm only 15 so is this a temporary swelling from gripping my bars really hard yesterday? Doesn't feel too bad and it's in my left hand if it matters.. . .any help?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info doc. I have what according to your post seems to be a grade 1 wrist sprain from dropping off a ledge and landing badly (nothing unusual there)! Seems I just need to wait for it to heal but its good to have an idea what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...

My left chocolate foot (back foot) on bike has pain from outside knee through to inside/middle of calf to inside of ankle its like cramp but deep inside, when i point my foot forwards and turn my foot to outside it hurts, I beleve its the tibialis posterior muscle and i cant walk that great the now so how do i train this stronger, i also i have flat feet which prob dont help, gonna stay of bike the now and rest but phsyio said left is alot weaker than right so i have to train left leg but only gave leg squats on left only

• 2 months later...

broke my leg, now out of my cast woowoo, i'm already able to "walk" on it without any crutches, but since i've been in a cast i'm prety limited on my range of motion, any suggestions for stretches to get the movement back?

I've got some shin digs, knee cut and shindig behind the knee.

What's the best way to keep them from getting infected? I'm showering twice a day to try keep them clean. Apparently I can get bone disease if I get too many shin digs.

Help? :(

Gayest post ever. Man up!

Actual problem - did a rail gap a few weeks back now and I bailed one time and my foot landed on the rail but only with my toe which led it to bend alllll the way back. Now it kills when I walk, what have I stretched and how do ibfix this shit as its becoming a bit of an annoyance!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Haha okay thanks Jack, if it goes yellow I'll do that. smile.png

Savlon or germolene are antiseptic, over the counter creams that can prevent cuts being infected and keeps them clean.

I tend to put it on when I get a cut in a scabby place like a city.

So I have this injury on my ankle, from crank rubbing, pedal kicks, hops ect. It keeps on scabbing over and then like yesterday I managed to pick it (not me the crank) I had a plaster on it, just to help protect a little, but now I keep on knocking it on everything (being a clumsy person I tend to hit my feet alot!) I would get ankle protectors or something, but I wear short socks whenever I ride so dont want to look like a fool. So any tips on protecting it would be appreciated.

edit - I have tryed just leaving it to heal, but it just keeps on getting knocked about, Cheers!