Injury Advice

physio

I'm seeking simple advice on a back problem. Just want to know if I should go to the hospital (frankly, I could never be bothered) or just wait for things to pass as they usually do. This wasn't the first time I've fallen onto my back, but never has it been so painful a few hours later. I hit the ground head first, and then with the upper part of my back. Normal stuff like not being able to breathe passed within half a minute but quite soon various joints and muscles started hurting which I didn't even touch when I fell off. I could move alright because I continued riding but now things are getting worse, I can hardly turn my head without the spine hurting. Also when I take in a deep breath, the middle front part and upper areas of my chest and spine hurt. It's not a muscle pain, it's the spine itself. Probably the biggest pain is my neck. My back is slightly swollen but I guess that's normal. Should I give it a day or two and see how it goes or should this be taken care of asap?

Edited by Inur

Is there such a thing as "knocking your heel out"? I stepped off the back of my bike doing a 180 over a block, and when I landed my heel got nailed into the floor as I went backwards, directly onto it. It hurt like an absolute bitch and I couldn't really walk properly because I couldn't have any weight on it. It started to feel a little better the next day, and the more I walked on it it felt better over time. I took some ibuprofen too and that sorted it out completely - or so I thought. Compared to my left heel (fine), it's off to the side. Equally, if I land hard on my right foot now, I get that same full-on pain in my heel and it hurts like hell, but goes after about 5 minutes if I just rest it. My friend said he'd done a similar thing and the doctor said he'd basically "Knocked his heel out of place", but I just thought I'd ask on here to see if it's a possible thing or not. Is it something that's going to go over time, or have I screwed myself up?

got my second wrist injury in 2months and im starting to worry about it keep coming back now..

its the same kind of pain at the same place, only at different hands

i didn't fall or anything, i just did a bunnyhop, and felt something clicking, didnt hurt much at first, but im dying an hour later

i've tried to point out the place of pain, so mayb anyone got an idea what it could be, and how it could be prevented or what exercizes i could do

thanks in advance

post-8669-1164213296_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have strained a muscle in my lower back. It isn't too bad but it feels strained when im up on my back wheel.

This is not the first time this has happened and I have had muscles strained/pulled quite alot in my back but they always seem to heal.

Is there any lasting negative effects of repeatedly pulling muscles in my back?

Anything I can do to prevent it?

Any way I can get the muscles to relax in my back when it is strained?

Thanks alot. Phil

right, backs

ok im sure you realise that due to the nature of trials, the involvement of pulling the bike back, the leaning forward stance and the impacts involved in general trials and landing can have an adverse affect on backs. the general problems seem to be muscle strains in the lower back area and also between the shoulder blades. these are the primary muscles used in trials and get the most abuse

the best way to treat muscle strains is to rest (sorry) and for the first few days ice up the affected area. then after about 3 days start doing gentle stretches to get the back into normal function again

muscles tend to spasm up when strained or injured around the affected area, so in a lot of cases the back will feel tight. its ok to let this happen for about 3 or 4 days but then you have to get back into normal range of movement again and get the thing stretched out

the general rule is that if it feels like its stretching when exercising then thats ok, but if its hurting when you do it then your back isnt ready yet for you to start working on it

if a back problem is a repetitive one and doesnt seem to go away, then get it looked at. generally a chiropractor would be good enough but if its something more serious then try an osteopath or physio as they are more qualified and specilist.

backs are very fragile structures and dont like getting abused. it maybe something to do with your posture and the frame. big guy on a small frame just aint gonna be a good thing for the back if its day in day out!!

si

It dosn't really work like that though. No matter how strong you are you can still bail and land on your ankle funny, i'm not the expert, but there's no way you can 'excersise' to prevent these injurys.

well actually you can!! you can prevent the injury from being worse than it coule be by having greater lateral strength in the ankle. a strong ankle will injure less than a weak ankle being twisted in the same way.

prevention is def better than cure!

si

Just a quick thought - would it be possible for you to post a selection of exercises for improving strength to the (generally) more vunerable areas of the body. E.G. Knees, ankles, shoulders, back and wrists.

I'm just thinking it may save you time in the long run (prevention rather than the cure) - I know most people here have specific problems but it may help out the others just after general advise who can still ride at the moment (like me).

Cheers,

Jamie

ok to save a shitload of time and effort, a really good site that gives a whole range of rehab and injury advice is www.physioroom.com

if you click on the area you need advice on then follow the instructions.

if you get any probs with specific areas of rehab gis a shout and ill explain the exercises and why you need to do them

si

Is there such a thing as "knocking your heel out"? I stepped off the back of my bike doing a 180 over a block, and when I landed my heel got nailed into the floor as I went backwards, directly onto it. It hurt like an absolute bitch and I couldn't really walk properly because I couldn't have any weight on it. It started to feel a little better the next day, and the more I walked on it it felt better over time. I took some ibuprofen too and that sorted it out completely - or so I thought. Compared to my left heel (fine), it's off to the side. Equally, if I land hard on my right foot now, I get that same full-on pain in my heel and it hurts like hell, but goes after about 5 minutes if I just rest it. My friend said he'd done a similar thing and the doctor said he'd basically "Knocked his heel out of place", but I just thought I'd ask on here to see if it's a possible thing or not. Is it something that's going to go over time, or have I screwed myself up?

something like this would need proper investigation mate, certainly a chat about it and possibly a few tests over thew phone to be a bit more specific?

gis a shout on email silord@hotmail.com

si

got my second wrist injury in 2months and im starting to worry about it keep coming back now..

its the same kind of pain at the same place, only at different hands

i didn't fall or anything, i just did a bunnyhop, and felt something clicking, didnt hurt much at first, but im dying an hour later

i've tried to point out the place of pain, so mayb anyone got an idea what it could be, and how it could be prevented or what exercizes i could do

thanks in advance

likewise, need to chat about this in more detail, pm me, email me etc

si

I've just got something little nagging at me.

Whenever I’m on an XC ride my 4th finger on both hands aches like crazy. It's only when I’m going downhill, only when I’m riding XC, have no problems riding trials. And it's only when I move those 2 fingers they really badly ache. When they're holding the grips firmly they're fine. But when I start going down hill and over bumps and stuff they ache so badly that I have to slow down and even stop sometimes. When I do stop and try to open my hands from 'bar holding' position, again, it aches like crazy.

Stuff like this doesn’t normally bother me but it's actually effecting my riding now so any help or advice will be much appreciated.

(Y)

That's exactly what I have in my right finger of my left hand. It started when downhilling too, and I had exactly the same thing with my hands being "stuck" in the riding grip. I think it's tendonitis in your finger tendons (Flexor digitorum sublimis for my hands ;) ) and there's pretty much bugger all you can do for it. Just gotta rest it. Mine's been there for about 6 weeks and it's just about better now, but I've not done much XC riding or climbing (which is much worse for my finger) in that time.

So yeah, this is just another unhelpful "rest it" answer :P

Right, I personally can not recommend this guy enough. He has helped me through the last 6 months, more than anyone in the NHS. I broke my shin, and was in plaster for 4 months. Simon would ring me most weeks to see how it was going and give me advice and stuff. When I got it out of plaster, simon gave me excerises todo, and this helped me alot. I can now run, and other stuff, but my ankle is still swollen. It doesn't hurt at all, its just crazy swollen. Simon, I will have to drive down sometime soon, and get you to have a look at it. Its just its like a 5 hour drive (N)!

Also, I want to start riding again soooon, im soo bored and riding is my life. Its like the only thing that I enjoy, when will this be possible? I feel asif I could start riding pretty soon, as i can run, and climb and do everything again, its just I darent ride. Would I be safe todo so?

Edited by radical rider

Hey

Just wondering, if you have torn muscle (say after an intense workout).

What's the best way to get it to heal?

Guessing eating high protein foods helps but what about keeping the muscle warm or cold, stretching it, resting it, drinking alot of water (is that a myth)?

Thanks mat

Hey

Just wondering, if you have torn muscle (say after an intense workout).

What's the best way to get it to heal?

Guessing eating high protein foods helps but what about keeping the muscle warm or cold, stretching it, resting it, drinking alot of water (is that a myth)?

Thanks mat

are you just talking generaly like after every workout, or you saying you have actualy tor a perticular muscle when you was working out? :unsure:

are you just talking generaly like after every workout, or you saying you have actualy tor a perticular muscle when you was working out? :unsure:

no. I haven't torn a specific muscle, but after working my arms out, the muscles really ache (particulary my triceps, pectorals and deltoids). Obviously they must be getting torn if they ache. So I'm asking whats the best way to get them to heal... questions about this posted above ^^^

Thank - it is a good site (www.physioroom.com).

I've found out I sprained my Acromio Clavicular joint and it sounds like it was a Type 3. I was told this at the time but it's handy to know the exercises - I wasn't given any advise at the time.

Cheers

Yeah A/C sprains are common, kinda like a dislocated collar bone, prob is they generally stay popped up like i assume yours is

si

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having problems with my shoulder. I hurt it a year or so ago and its been fine for months and after twisting funny the last week its done it again.

The pain is kind of down the front of the joint making my shoulder very weak and painful. When in the gym it struggles most when doing fly's. Its also very painful when lifting anything above head height.

Any ideas?

I looked up the condition in the post above and both my collarbones are poped up but maybe this is because im a skinny runt and they show more :P And i have injured the other in the past.

I looked up the condition in the post above and both my collarbones are poped up but maybe this is because im a skinny runt and they show more :P And i have injured the other in the past.

My right collar bone is way more prominent than my left, so I think I must have sprained it at some point. It doesn't hurt now though.

Have a look at (Google) painful arc syndrome Danny. You're probably a bit young for it though, most likely you've just sprained something.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if anyone can help me here, I recently fractured 2 bones in my hand (ring finger and the little one) this was about 2 week ago. The thing is when i came to riding home the other day I couldn't grip the bars, as the pain was that bad, I still have a bit of swealing there, and a bruce. But will it go back to normal? I really want it to, as I play rugby every weekend and don't want to dislocate my fingers every week!

#

Thanks for reading!

cheer matt!

I know this sounds silly but 8 days ago I had a bit of a stack, going pretty quick and hit the concrete pretty hard but I got up ok and carried on riding.

My initial worry was the massive pain in my wrist, so I strapped it up and rested it well presuming that it was a sprain... It seems to be almost completely normal again now.

However, as I've been more concerned about my wrist I'd not really notice my chest until the last few days. To start with it was just an occasional pain as if I had a very tight chest on one side (I occasionally every few years have trouble with my asthma flaring up during winter) but I've none of my usual symptoms of asthma such as a chesty cough and a lot of mucous coming up. The pain is on the side that I fell on (left side) and is causing me to only take shallow breaths and be very careful with my movements and stresses due to the pain it causes. There's also no sign of external bruising.

Broken rib or two?

I might head to the hospital this evening.

I know this sounds silly but 8 days ago I had a bit of a stack, going pretty quick and hit the concrete pretty hard but I got up ok and carried on riding.

My initial worry was the massive pain in my wrist, so I strapped it up and rested it well presuming that it was a sprain... It seems to be almost completely normal again now.

However, as I've been more concerned about my wrist I'd not really notice my chest until the last few days. To start with it was just an occasional pain as if I had a very tight chest on one side (I occasionally every few years have trouble with my asthma flaring up during winter) but I've none of my usual symptoms of asthma such as a chesty cough and a lot of mucous coming up. The pain is on the side that I fell on (left side) and is causing me to only take shallow breaths and be very careful with my movements and stresses due to the pain it causes. There's also no sign of external bruising.

Broken rib or two?

I might head to the hospital this evening.

hospital defo good idea mate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ive got a bad pain on my right foot, it goes from the front of my ankle down one of the line things on top of your foot (tendon?). It's getting to the point where i can hardly walk with shoes on, and its not much better without shoes on. What have i done?

• 3 weeks later...