New Products From Onza

BikeDotStuffAtOnzaDotCom

Those cranks are just generic catalogue ones, but they do feel nice. SuperCycles sent me a set to test and they seem pretty good. To be honest, I'd rather they just used some cranks like those bought out of a catalogue which can keep the cost down instead of producing cranks with a slightly different design, but to a similar standard, that would cost more? People whinge enough about prices going up on Onza completes, then complain when they do things that keep prices down but quality up?

I think the Onza carbon booster came out first, if memory serves. Either way, it wasn't the nicest booster ever so it's no great shakes. Equally, it came out a long, long time ago back when companies didn't have as extensive R&D funds as now, so copying was pretty rife then (or just buying stuff out of a catalogue). Compare that to the development of the Tensile booster which has done the rounds around quite a selection of riders and people, there's a large (and positive) difference to the way Supercycle's products are designed, tested, developed, then produced.

Gusset are notorious for just buying anything and putting their name on it. That, and pandering to whatever trends are kicking off (fluorescent grips and tyres, anyone?). As a result, their stuff is usually catalogue bought. It looks like the Onza tensioner is from the same job, but even so, it makes sense for a company to just catalogue buy little bits like that, just to cover that market. The tensioner isn't the most vital part on a trials bike, to be fair, but where the parts are important they do spend time making sure the products are dialled, which is the way it should be.

Those cranks are just generic catalogue ones, but they do feel nice. SuperCycles sent me a set to test and they seem pretty good. To be honest, I'd rather they just used some cranks like those bought out of a catalogue which can keep the cost down instead of producing cranks with a slightly different design, but to a similar standard, that would cost more? People whinge enough about prices going up on Onza completes, then complain when they do things that keep prices down but quality up?

I think the Onza carbon booster came out first, if memory serves. Either way, it wasn't the nicest booster ever so it's no great shakes. Equally, it came out a long, long time ago back when companies didn't have as extensive R&D funds as now, so copying was pretty rife then (or just buying stuff out of a catalogue). Compare that to the development of the Tensile booster which has done the rounds around quite a selection of riders and people, there's a large (and positive) difference to the way Supercycle's products are designed, tested, developed, then produced.

Gusset are notorious for just buying anything and putting their name on it. That, and pandering to whatever trends are kicking off (fluorescent grips and tyres, anyone?). As a result, their stuff is usually catalogue bought. It looks like the Onza tensioner is from the same job, but even so, it makes sense for a company to just catalogue buy little bits like that, just to cover that market. The tensioner isn't the most vital part on a trials bike, to be fair, but where the parts are important they do spend time making sure the products are dialled, which is the way it should be.

well said mark (Y)

The chain tensioner is actually made by a company in Taiwan called Mr Control, whose products I am sure we all have come across in the past. The owner is a great friend of mine and we collaborate on many projects. The tensioner is no major breakthrough being similar to many others on the market. We have been involved in testing it for a couple of years and it was sensible to use it for our own range. I did not claim to have invented it and it is available to anyones branding. I am sure the remarks were just a typical kneejerk comment from an Onza basher and is "water off a ducks back" these days. I do take great exception however to the suggestion that we would ever feel the need to copy a Gusset product.

The chain tensioner is actually made by a company in Taiwan called Mr Control, whose products I am sure we all have come across in the past. The owner is a great friend of mine and we collaborate on many projects. The tensioner is no major breakthrough being similar to many others on the market. We have been involved in testing it for a couple of years and it was sensible to use it for our own range. I did not claim to have invented it and it is available to anyones branding. I am sure the remarks were just a typical kneejerk comment from an Onza basher and is "water off a ducks back" these days. I do take great exception however to the suggestion that we would ever feel the need to copy a Gusset product.

haha i cant see anyone actually wanting to intentionally copy gusset! theres nothing wrong with a small part, that at low purchase price does the job it was intended to do; and be seen as good value for money. as already said a single speed tensioner isnt the most vital part on a trials bike and on the whole the onza version would be suffiecient for most, if not theres always the choice of buying a rohloff....

generic parts catalogues and a companies ability to exploit economies of scale to bring cheaper bike parts to the market is always a good thing.

i've got to say the new limey isn't as pretty as the old one, and there probably was a cleaner more stylish way of stiffening the farame and makin up for the old designs short comings, but cost is always a big factor. we'll just have to see how they hold up through use in the real world.

yo danny b,

mentioned earlier doing a shorter (1065) version if enough demand...

Shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version........

please ;)

I would also like to add.

Shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version shorter version........

I can barely reach the bars on the long one.

Andy

lol, yer just been out ridin on my limey and now my nuckles drag on the floor! i would love to see i slightly shorter version would be good for the more vertically chalanged of us! hehe

i have been using the onza chain tentioner and it seems fine, other than be'ing for only QR it spot on, does what it says on the tin realy. keeps my chain tight and it dont slap round like a mech, not too expensive either.

rob.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Frame and headset look sexual, i demand though that you make it so we can buy the v-adapters that come on the t-pro, from what i heard so far these are the best around so get them in shops i want some!!

• 3 months later...

The new 2008 T-Mag, Same frame as before but the spec has been improved so that it will sit at the top of Onza Mod bikes.

The picture below is slightly wrong as it should have a blue bash plate and blue Onza VP pedals,

Spec as follows: (May change on production model)

T-Master wheelset in anodised blue, Including chrome rim tap.

Tensile freewheel with Tensile 165mm cranks

Over sized alloy stem and alloy blue bar

Lite Guy forks

Rear HS33 and front louise freeride

Price: TBA

More pictures to follow shortly.

t-mag07rhs.jpg

rearwheelshot.jpg

handlebarshot.jpg

frontwheel.jpg

Edited by Joe@Onza

Don't put a blue bash and pedals on it. Will ruin the look I reckon.

Keep it simple.

It looks nice. :)

What brake pads are on the Magura? Onza Citrus?

Edited by Dan6061

Has the frame been changed at all as there have been strength issues around the top bolt on the bashplate.

I remember about 1 year and a half ago there was a massive topic on here about it, because the mount just pushed into the frame.

That was sorted last year mate. ;)

The mount is now mounted onto a gusset, and the gusset is welded onto the frame.

I have an 06 in my shed.

I was hoping the 08 T-mag would be one of the newer concepts but I guess if they sell as they are there is no need to remove it. I suppose a bigger range is better than a smaller one too.

Any word on when the limey mod will be ready? You were quite sure that one was going into production if I remember right?

I was hoping the 08 T-mag would be one of the newer concepts but I guess if they sell as they are there is no need to remove it. I suppose a bigger range is better than a smaller one too.

Any word on when the limey mod will be ready? You were quite sure that one was going into production if I remember right?

Yes we are, Danny has it at the moment and loving it, But my future thoughts of the Limey 20" is that it will come out as a frame only option.