Stripping Frames/forks Etc

UrbanLegend

What you will need:

Nitromors paint stripper - 500ml can should be plenty for a frame/fork

A Power drill, and a Wire drill attachment

Wet & Dry paper (240, 400 and 600 grade)

AutoSol metal polish

You can get pretty much all of that in B&Q, for not too much £££.

Firstly, make sure you start early in the day. It does take a long time, but it is well worth it. You do not want to still be doing it as it gets dark, or inside, because you wont be able to see f*** all.

1. Do what it says on the Nitromors tin. Frames, especially Zebdi's, have very thick paint, so this part will take some time. You want to coat the whole frame, one bit at a time, not missing a thing. Once the frame is coated, leave it for about 30 minutes. Once the paint has bubbled, get the drill and blast all of the old paint off. Clean it all off with some water and dry it. There are bound to be loads of little bits of paint left, so keep repeating these steps until the paint stripper wont get any more off (trust be, there are always some bits!).

2. Once you have got to the stage where the stripper (ooer) won't remove any more, its time to attack the little bits with the drill. Its easy work. Once the frame has all been stripped, it should look a mucky aluminium colour. Wash it all down, and get ready for the worst part.

3. Starting with the 240 grade, wet the paper and rub the whole frame down. Its easier to do it one bit at a time, starting at the headtube, then toptube etc. You really have to make a good job of this, or it will look very patchy. The 240 grade will smooth the surface only slightly. Then its time for the 400 paper. Repeat above. Finally, the 240 paper. Spend ages on this, as it will smooth all the little grooves you made in the frame with the drill. I cant stress enough how very important this part is!

4. Last bit. It still wont look very shiny, but oh my god, you will be amazed at what the wonderful Autosol can do! Put some on a clean, soft cloth, apply to your frame, and voila - you should be able to see your face in it. If you have spent as long as you should have (ALL DAY!) then the finish will be superb.

Thats about it. You dont need much of the Autosol, and whenever it gets marked with fingerprints etc, just use some to polish it up.

You can see the affects of the above in the Bike pics post. It's a dodgy picture but you get the idea!

or get it sandblasted for £10 at your local car paint shop thingy

sand blasting, will make it......not shiny. even with metal polish it wont. if u want the paint off, use sand blasting but if u want it polished, then use nitro morse.

Dont wire brush at ALL, it looks poo. Use nitro morse ONLY, no sand paper of any discription. if u have scratches in the frame u cud tidy them up with a wire brush on a drill or a Dremel Multitool (as i did on my cranks)

If you want a polished look like say an Azonic DS1 then have it Vapor blasted. i had my LTS done and it's better than what Gt called ball burnished.

I then got a polishing atchement for my dill and some suto stuff and spent they day polishing it.

The othet ideal is to have the frame vaporblasted then have have it polished but with no chemicals and then hard sliver anodized and then polish on top. Then you will no probs with the fading from the oxerdizadito of the ali.

Yeah as above fater i had removed the paint i then needed to removed layer of alumium oxided with the wire brush. I went over the whole bike.

I painted the whole frame with the antomoticve nitromorse and then gaian after 5 mins and then 10 mine and then 30 mins. I then whats as it fized and all the paint was bubling off. I left it for and hour after adding one really thick coat.

After that i then washed the frame down with my garden hose. Expet i use it on the hot tapt. it makes the nitromorse react and i blasetd the paint off and the chemical.

Then i did the brushiong and then next day i did the emery with 600 and did it fry and wet.

I then polished with a soft cloth and got a drill buffing attchemnt that i use to buff to a mirros finish.

Im now gonna have it anodized sliver i thibnk as i hate polishing up the finger pritns.

DJ will post pics soon.

Yeah as above fater i had removed the paint i then needed to removed layer of alumium oxided with the wire brush. I went over the whole bike.

I painted the whole frame with the antomoticve nitromorse and then gaian after 5 mins and then 10 mine and then 30 mins. I then whats as it fized and all the paint was bubling off. I left it for and hour after adding one really thick coat.

After that i then washed the frame down with my garden hose. Expet i use it on the hot tapt. it makes the nitromorse react and i blasetd the paint off and the chemical.

Then i did the brushiong and then next day i did the emery with 600 and did it fry and wet.

I then polished with a soft cloth and got a drill buffing attchemnt that i use to buff to a mirros finish.

Im now gonna have it anodized sliver i thibnk as i hate polishing up the finger pritns.

DJ will post pics soon.

just pointing out petes great spelling.

john

Edited by johntheguru

Cheers ta lovley. It's good spelling on the topic of the FBM Bristol ride dude.

not really.

you sre Poo. i still counted about 10 mistakes in spelling and punctuation.

anyway, if you spell right sometimes, why not all the time.

john

• 1 month later...
Guest Old_Skool_Trialser

So you just take all your bits off the bike, cover it in a thin layer of nitromors and then scrub off all the paint basically? Then when its done give it a rub with some autosol.

Gonna give it a go :-

Guest Old_Skool_Trialser

Cool. Is all nitromors the same or is there a certain one to buy? And do I dilute it with anything, or just pour a bit on. In fact how do I apply it, pour it or brush it on?

When I did my Crescetn Ilions I went over the frame with my wire prush to get the scratchs in the paint work so it be easyer for the nitromorse. Then hung the frame up and dab'ed on some chemical. left for 5 mines then more. Then 5 mins agaian. Left it for 10 and it had started to pop, fiz, crackle. I added one more thick layer of nitromorse and then watched a sit lifter the paint off. Frame got hot, not hot to melt or damige it but warm to the touch like it been in the sun. I then hose it all off and dry ed it and then gave it one more go over, few stubben bits, + I wanted it to be clean. This time I used hot sopey water over the frame. Yes boiled water direct out the kettle. it fizzes more and really did clean it all up. Oh + it nutralise the chemical. Dry the frame, I then went over it all with a wire brush. Reason, it was like this grey color. It was a layer of alumiunm oxied as these frame are meade then they hang around a bit before they get painted. I d it very lightlty but ferm so it removed it but wont leave marks in the frame. On the weleds I did it alo as I did want to sand them down, you dont see the brush marks in the welds anyway. Once I done that I clean the frame with a clean rag and some meths. Leave to dry off natural, it will all evoprate. The use the wet and dry paper. I use 600 and some othger stuff. I just sat in front of the tv at work for ther day and had what looked liek a wank on the bike, up and down on the tube. You could see and feel it was very smothe. Do this on all the tubes. I did one tube per day, so in a week I had the frame ready to polish. I did the top tope tube and down tube on mon and tues, wed I did the seat, and thursdy the chainsatys and the yokes and headtube. After all that I used a whole bottle of meths to clean the framer of dust grease etc etc. Really scrub with an old rag then with methes, Then leave to dry and do the same again 2 times. I left the frame over night. Friday I got the autosole out and the csoft cloths and drill polishing attchment. Aplye the stuff as told on the tube. It goes black then as you work it in it get to a polish. I did question was my effort worth it and yes it was. Once I had gotten the frame up to a mirro finish I then aplied one more coat of autosl but use the drill poilshesr to do the rest. be carefull with it. I got a very good finsh. I can tuch it and I have no prints on it. okay so it took about 6 days but im more than happy with it. It cost me £10, had bits already. I did call to see what it cost to have done and arogs will charge £30 for the chemiscal strip on an alumium frame and then a polish from an polisher be about £30. So £60, I spent that on beer once done.

just use more nitromos on top of that cus u wanna make sure all the paint is off then wash it down it warm soapy water,then get some fine grade sandpaper on it for the little bits that wont come off,but make sure u sand the whole frame down good,then wash it again it should be better looking then, then polish the whole frame,just make sure u rub hard, there will be loads of grey crap that comes off but thats normal

Guest Old_Skool_Trialser

Sweeeeeeet, thanks for the help :- :D

Im doing it on Saturday, frame and forks, its gonna look great (he hopes!!!)

Oh, did you laquer over the frame afterwards... mines a Zebdi, so aluminium, will it need it? I know my steel forks will.