Anyone Rock Climb?

Willy

Im looking into this myself, as something different to do. Have tried a few small walls before, but nothing major. A mate an I are going to a place called Craggy Island in Guilford to do a course which will enable us to climb any wall in the UK on our own. Basically to show you how to use ropes etc safely.

This link shows a load of locations in the UK an around the world where you can go an climb.

This link takes you to the British Mountaineering Council's site and their wall locator. Also if you need any more info then the BMC will be the best people to contact.

Just had a gander on that site and I fount the one that im already planning on going to as there arnt any better or bigger ones anywhere near me. Bit of a mission but I REALLY want to start so yeah...

Really helpful never the less as it has stuff on exercise's that I can do. So thank you for that (Y)

You really don't need to do a course to be allowed into any climbing centres. They really don't care at all, as long as you sign the forms. They will never check and you can lie on the forms if you want. They're silly questions anyway, like 'can you tie a figure-8 knot' or something very simple if you've ever done it before. Fair enough if it's a cheap course, because it will teach you the basics. But don't be fooled into thinking it's a legal requirement or anything like that.

ace thread.

me, a mate and our dads used to go all the time, i can basically climb anything now, it just gets scary up high with no harnesses, eh bessell?

Roflmao

How random was that, Lets see who can get up to that window in the ruins, so me and ash got up there lol well high, then we found a even higher one god knows how high but I f**king shit me self about 3 foot away from the ledge. Lol ( Good times ) (Y)

I was only planning on the one lesson, as my rope work is not issue what so ever at all (sail all the time and need to tie/use rope it that all the time). Its the set up, once ive got the set up dialed ill just go in on my own, and ty Tomm posts are really helping. I would of payed about £120 to get payed for shite all apperantly lol. And just another question, if I really want to improve will I need to work out, as I plan on doing anyway but was just wondering if focusing on forearm and finger strength does actually help? May be obvious but hay I may aswell ask.

Thank you all

Willy

I was only planning on the one lesson, as my rope work is not issue what so ever at all (sail all the time and need to tie/use rope it that all the time). Its the set up, once ive got the set up dialed ill just go in on my own, and ty Tomm posts are really helping. I would of payed about £120 to get payed for shite all apperantly lol. And just another question, if I really want to improve will I need to work out, as I plan on doing anyway but was just wondering if focusing on forearm and finger strength does actually help? May be obvious but hay I may aswell ask.

Thank you all

Willy

Climbing does use a different knot to anything you've used in sailing probably, but it's dead easy (It's basically a figure-8 on a byte through the harness ;) ). I've got a friend who uses a grip strength thing (when he's in the car and bored), he reckons it helps, but it's minimal. Climbing is 90% technique, most of the really good guys aren't actually that big at all. It's always funny to see some bodybuilder turn up thinking he can do anything because he's got arms bigger than my legs. But they're usually pretty rubbish.

Climbing does use a different knot to anything you've used in sailing probably, but it's dead easy (It's basically a figure-8 on a byte through the harness ;) ). I've got a friend who uses a grip strength thing (when he's in the car and bored), he reckons it helps, but it's minimal. Climbing is 90% technique, most of the really good guys aren't actually that big at all. It's always funny to see some bodybuilder turn up thinking he can do anything because he's got arms bigger than my legs. But they're usually pretty rubbish.

Yeee, its a small skinny lads sport, my uncle is like 17 stone, and big, yet he is a good climber.

Im 13 stone, and big, and im ok, but lot easier for skinny person as they got nothing to carry :P

Steve-A off here and I climb quite regularly (few times a week at least), we climb mainly at Vertical Limit in Worcester, which is fairly small but it's not terrible, we go to Creation fairly regularly, too. The lead wall there kicks ass (led my first 6a the other day :) ).

We both started at about the same time about 8 months ago and neither of us has ever had any formal lesson, we just got matey with the locals and got taught how to use ropes and stuff that way, Steve (being the man with the money) recently got a rope and some quickdraws and he's been leading loads of stuff and I'm breaking into that now as well, it's awesome fun now I've got over my fear of falling from above the protection (in fairly spectacular style).

We both started out bouldering and it really helps you when you come to the ropes because you're used to moves that are physically a lot tougher, so ropes becomes more of a mindgame. Whoever asked about finger strength being important, you can bet your ass it is, plenty of routes just won't happen unless you can crank on the smaller stuff and it makes the whole experience a little more comfortable if you've got the grip.

Joe x

This may sound gay but once ive got the basics do you reckon anyone would be up for a rock climbing session, so like a trials meeting we all meet at creation or something and session the walls for a few hours. I personally would benefit alot from this so to learn technique and just generally meeting more trials riders (not that I ride trials anymore). Im planning on going in a fortnight to get my first lesson or maybe even a week today. If anyone is interested let me know once ive learnt I'd be well up for it (Y)

Joe would you say I try bouldering first then? As I've only ever done this with the scouts ages ago or at random outdoor places. And im a bit of a weakling these days (lack of any activity) so need to get my fitness back up...

Willy

Got an indoor climbing lesson booked for january with Tic and Dan-brisa :rolleyes:
Yes you have, it should be a great day! I have wanted to try rock climbing for ages but have only just got around to sorting it!

For others interested in starting try using the climbing directory on http://www.ukclimbing.com/

The above climbing directory was how I found out about the course we are booked to do at http://www.calshot.com/. We are doing a days introductory course with lunch for £65 a person (Works out to be about 6 hours in length). I phoned up and asked a few questions and once you have done this course you should know enough about knots, rope work etc... to become a member and go to any open sessions.

Im looking forward to it! Am I going to cause pain to muscles I didnt even know existed?

I will let you all know how I get on...

just been bouldering, only lasted an hour!! got such bad arm pump, I couldnt even hold on to my bottle of water to have a drink lol. Driving home was a bit dodgy too:P

Going to go for an hour at least once a week, it properly gets your arm muscles up!

i went for the first time today....was amazing, ill definately be keeping it up. bought me some shoes and my own harness was only £60. got my test to prove i can climb safetly on my own competence, thus reducing the cost each time i go.

made me feel more supple and flexible immediately. its easy to learn the knots and how to belay , just need to improve my skills :D. the most fun i have had in a long time with a sport thats not trials.

amaazzing.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the introduction to climbing course today.

Learnt about harness', knots to connect the rope to the harness (Just a figure of eight), belaying techniques and also got a load of advice about the equipment we should buy if we take climbing further.

Had an awesome time! Also got some bouldering done aswell which was loads of fun!

Will be going back to Calshot for an evening session this week to take the assesment and pay £3 to join for the year. The assesment just involves proving I know how to wear a harness, tie knots, belay safely etc... aswell as answer some common sence questions.

It doesnt sound like it costs much to hire equipment but if I do go once a week like I plan to Im sure I will end up buying some of my own equipment!

Mr Marshal, we will have to meet for a climbing session soon!

As Josephine said we've been climbing for a few months now, Gtburrows comes along with us sometimes too. Really enjoying it. I have to say I've almost given up on the bike and I've just been climbing instead.

Creation wall is a great centre, theres loads and loads of lead routes, loads of top ropes and a big bouldering area. We had a good climb there yesterday as joe said he's getting 6a consistantly now, and I was pleased with a redpointed lead on both 6B+ and 6c routes.

Would be cool to go climb with some other trials riders :)

Im very much up for it. Learning at the minute but hay id still come along and be the noob, would need to be taught more, and would like to watch some more techniques. Anyone up for it. Maybe make it a regular occurance like a trials ride?

Willy