Anyone Rock Climb?

Willy

I climb

i use to go to creation too , i did bronze , silver, gold and platinum book things went up to the roaches regularly too

got all the equipment except for ropes

Creation have let the prices rise too much thats partly why i stopped going too

I was talking to nick ( creation ) and he said there are some plans to take the skatepark fully away and make big walls and a larger bouldering section too

I can climb 6-8a 8a being my best at creation

Josh

massive bump

Just starting to get into climbing (bouldering mostly) and wondering if anyone knows anywhere near staffordshire, I live near manchester but looking for somewhere closer to uni. And tomm if you still climbing me and lee will have to meet up with you sometime in manc.

In Newport there's a new climbing centre that opened a few months ago that mainly focusses on bouldering, they do memberships where you can get unlimited use too. Don't know if you have transport with you at uni but it's a few quid on the on the bus. http://www.newportrock.com/ There's also wolf mountain a bit further away in wolverhampton, that has a great bouldering section.

I used to do quite a bit of climbing. Was climbing indoors a couple of nights a week then going outside whenever possible. It was infact how awesome outside bouldering is that killed it for me. After I'd been outside I never wanted to go back to climbing indoors. but the nearest outdoor stuff is all an hour or more away, so I wasn't able to get round to it as much as I liked.

There's a few nice bouldering spots in Staffordshire, there is a specific guide book about the place.

I'm going climbing tomorrow with a mate from work, any suggestions on what I should wear? Will shorts and a t-shirt suffice? (Its indoor).

Yeah that should be fine, just wear something that you don't mind getting covered in chalk/ muck etc. Are you going to Wolf Mountain?

Yeah that should be fine, just wear something that you don't mind getting covered in chalk/ muck etc. Are you going to Wolf Mountain?

Yeah, first time there. You been before? When i'm back at uni I might give Red Point climbing center a visit.

I climb a bit. Me and the missus are off to Llanberis for a few nights to rinse the slate up in Dinorwig, so hopefully the weather holds out 'cos slate + water = NFW.

when? Me and a few mates are locals, just getting into bouldering and wouldnt mind tagging along if you know any routes?

when? Me and a few mates are locals, just getting into bouldering and wouldnt mind tagging along if you know any routes?

I'm there now camping in Nant Peris, it's a bit shit 'cos the places in Dinorwig are closed due to filming some movie, but we did a few routes at Bus Stop quarry and had a recce up the Llanberis path routes, but I'm a bit too amateur to start pissing about on multipitch routes a couple hundred feet off the valley floor. The missus has insisted we walk Snowden tomorrow, thankfully I talked her out of Crib Goch!

Where do you usually boulder? I think we'll be doing some routes on Friday if you fancy it.

Just started building up my new kit :) I got a Wild Country Ziplock Elite harness, WC VC Pro 2 Belay/Synergy karabiner, red chilli chalk bag/ball and some red chilli sausalito shoes. I think ive discovered muscles Ive never used...my arms ache so bad!

• 1 month later...
Anybody else get the impression that trials riders tend towards the bouldering side of climbing rather than the long pitch. I think parallels can be drawn between the two.

Yeh, its something I've noticed.

I guess you could say that bouldering is to trad climbing, what XC is to trials. When I was more heavily into the climbing scene I noticed that many of the guy I knew that liked long days out trad climbing enjoyed the adventure and time outside as much as the climbing. Like going for an XC ride if you're doing a 5 pitch trad route there are likely to be some easy pitches and some harder, but because you'll be up there all day the hardest ones aren't likely to be at your true limit.

Bouldering on the other hand is very like trials. It's yourself Vs an object, A to B without breaking rules. In trials those rules are putting your feet down, with bouldering its more etiquette about not using knees/elbows/etc. Bouldering is a short intense experience, and to me feels much more 'pure' than trials.

There's good bouldering all over the peaks. Stanage, the Roaches and Burbage are probably the most well known. I've not personally done Stanage, but I've done the Roaches and Burbage many times.

Heres a few random pics from over the years. Roaches lower tier, the classic 3 pocket slab problem.

2423_52165299367_563204367_1324650_.jpg

Roaches upper tier

n506991792_557123_7333.jpg

n563204367_1324636_1173.jpg

Roaches Doxeys Pool, one of my only V5 graded outdoor problems.

n506991792_934002_370.jpg

Havent got many Burbage pictures, but heres one from a very cold January morning (-4 with wind chill!)

n559726020_650638_9766.jpg

Nesscliffe isn't too far from the south west of the peaks. There's some nice bouldering.

n559726020_564264_4692.jpg

If you venture further along the A5 there's some nice sport routes in the Trevor Valley

n559726020_564245_7041.jpg

If you're really up for a trek, the bouldering in the Llanberis pass is to die for.

n506991792_556424_3436.jpg

n506991792_556434_6283.jpg