How To: Remove/fit A Cassette/ss Kit

TomR

How to:

Remove, refit and strip a cassette.

What you’ll need:

(for removal/refitting)

Chain whip (or an oil filter tool assuming it has a chain)

Cassette lockring tool

Spanner that fits the cassette tool (mine was 24mm)

Socket wrench

(to strip it down)

1.5mm allen key – if your cassette has rivets through it either drill it out or hacksaw between the sprockets through one of the spacers

Spare cassette spacers

Method:

Take the wheel off and remove the end of the QR skewer. Insert the cassette lockring tool into the lockring and refit your QR skewer to hold it in place (this helps a lot when you’re putting every last bit of effort into undoing the blasted thing).

post-43-1168370044_thumb.jpg

Put the chainwhip round the largest sprocket you’ve got (or only sprocket you’ve got if you run SS…) making sure it stops the freehub moving when you pull on it – bearing in mind you’re turning the spanner on the lockring tool anti-clockwise)

post-43-1168370055_thumb.jpgpost-43-1168370063_thumb.jpg

Put the spanner over the lockring tool (ring spanners are easiest I find but anything will do) and if you do them up as tight as I normally do, heave like your life depends on it. You should now have removed your cassette.

If you’re not lucky enough to have 1.5mm allen bolts holding your cassette together, drill the back of the pins/rivets out or hacksaw between 2 sprockets as below. You should now have a bunch of spacers and sprockets.

post-43-1168370071_thumb.jpg

Reassemble the cassette on the freehub body(or add your SS kit if you're adding one). Whichever sprocket you use most frequently, aim to have this dead inline with your chainring so the chainline’s nice and straight. Fill the space of whatever sprockets you removed with the spare spacers and replace the lockring. Et voila – you should now have something like this:

post-43-1168370080_thumb.jpg

If anyone spots any errors or has a better suggestion on how to do something, PM me and i'll edit.