Not Just Another Trials Park, The Uks Best!

Ali C

There is a proposal to turn a few local quarries into a mtb mecca!! The local concil own quite a few used and disused quarries and there is a plan to turn it into into one of the Uks leading mtb areas and they would like to include trials.

A top downhill rider is helping out with the trail building designs and actual building too (Roman (I forget his last name) he designed and built fort williams 4x track and many others, so he knows his stuff!) They got in touch with me as they know trials is growing and they didnt want us to be left out.

The proposed quarry is already very good for riding (known as the secret quarry, but real name is lee mill quarry) but they are willing to import rocks, concrete or what ever we fancy really....if that quarry cant be used, they are willing to impost everything into other places!!

I am going to do my best to get the place as good as sabadell in spain or maybe better! So this isnt just your run of the mill little town small park, this is going to be a BIG thing.

What I am after is people to show interest, the more interest in it the more chance it has of happening, The track builder is going to put on a presitation to the coincil, would be cool to have him show theres interest in a trials park from non local people. I think it has a VERY good chance of happening, it was a council guy who got in touch with us about it and he is really eager to get it done (being a mtb rider himself) Plans and everything have to be ready to shown by the end of march, thats how soon they want to start building it!

So pop some feedback here if you like, the quarry is in Bacup in East Lancashire, would you travel that far? (concidering it will be the BEST trials park in the uk!), got any ideas on stuff you want to ride? got pics of things? Any feed back would be good.

but they could get streety stuff, I know I want some concrete stuff to ride as its good practise for uci style comps.

personally I want some concrete pipes, slabs, anything big and hard and grippy, I also want some rounder rocks, some grippy rocks for the rain, maybe some tree stumps....anyway, look up sabadell trials park, thats what I want.

this wont be a place for the natural only guys, there will be man made stuff for the treetier riders too!

to be honest, is it worth travelling 6+hours in a car to ride on rocks in the rain?

yes

for a start you may not live near some kick ass natural. secondly its not going to be just "rocks" by the sounds of it, they can create intresting concret shapes to ride, maybe some handrails and other things too

I'd drive 3-4 hours to get there. Id like to help build either the track or the trials part too (Y)

Free parking, and possible deals with camp sites for cheaper camping, or hotels for cheaper rooms and so on.

Also, food and drink. (Y)

Sounds like you got the park dialed, i'm just thinking of other things that would either need to be there, or would be an immense asset.

will chat to them about camping and parking, theres plenty of room at the quarry for both, but wether camping would be possible or not is another matter.

Theres a town about 1-2 miles away with shops and stuff, there might be some b&bs, but the place isnt exactly a top tourist spot, so there might not be many (would be cheap though)

:o

that would be amazing!

we'd need somewhere to keep the bikes overnight if theres camping,

some concrete pipes, walls, rails and shizz for the street riders, and also some really big-ass stuff too. if it could be anything like the one in the pics, i would definately endure the trek down for a weekend.

how much will this thing be costing ?

sounds awesome!

if this goes through, ill definately come down, along with loads of others.

good luck,

matt

yeah id travel for that, would make a weekend out of it.

would it get ridden enough though you think? would be embarrassing for it to be empty most days :S

safe parking would be better though i think, id rather pay a fiver for the day and have cameras on it and stuff....

Dave

Oh yeah, what happened to the indoor trials park kent council were supposed to be building ?!?!?

Sounds good to me, although its a fair 'ol distance so probably only a couple of times a year. But then again, if they are not expecting to incorporate an entry fee would heavy interest be required? My guess is yes if people want all these posh amenities :P

If its decent then people will use it, how often is anyones guess.

Where do most of the trials breed live? Might be a better way to guage interest. As i say, if its decent then it will get used.

Edited by Sketchy

That would def tempt me to ride again!

If you can get a good mix of stuff (street/natural) then that would appeal to the largest amount of riders.

Go for it Ali (Y)

Hopefully if the council are making an MTB park, then the council would sort out the toilets, rubbish bins etc etc.

yeah id travel for that, would make a weekend out of it.

would it get ridden enough though you think? would be embarrassing for it to be empty most days :S

safe parking would be better though i think, id rather pay a fiver for the day and have cameras on it and stuff....

Dave

Oh yeah, what happened to the indoor trials park kent council were supposed to be building ?!?!?

very unlikley to get cameras in the car park, this quarry is up a big hill on the moors, theres no electricity.

I think concentrating on the obstacles would be a good start, get that done and it would be awesome, getting any toilets and stuff might be a little harder to do.

yes ali...

this quarry is ALREADY awesome and that a streety 24" rider saying it :P

just loads of unique and interesting obsticles are a must

oh and sort the track up to it out :)

this quarry was in damnation 8 btw - all the natural stuff that Lewis on the Ashton is riding, sandstoney/red rocks , just tiny fraction is shown on the vid, this place is HUGE!

http://tv.isg.si/site/filebrowser/damnation - damnation 8