Homemade Tensioner

Ash-Kennard

well, here it is basically. It is a beefed up version of bigmans tensioner/ a 74kingz with a jockey wheel

IMG_0008-1.jpg

only used:

hack saw spring,

aluminium sheet,

jockey wheel,

5mm bolts and nuts,

5mm+10mm drill bit.

hack saw

file

Edited by ash-kennard

proper good, nearly as good as my rohlof. but not quite unfortunately

It is obviously not as good as my tensioner then Ash :P mine holds much better tension than a rollhoff if i want it to (Y)

Don't know about your mounting of the hockey wheel, ican see that causing trouble........

Oh, and how exactly is it a beefed up version, i can see that breaking easier than mine.........

Other than that, good effort (Y)

Adam

mate...good effort 'n all...but i agree with bigman- it needs some improvement!

mine is similar..but i've got ~5 half hack-saw blades taped together to give MUCH better tension. I did run just one blade for a while, and it did work but after a week it snapped and tension really could have been much better...

personally..i don't know if the jockey wheel is worth it. I've just glued on a plastic guide and it runs fine and is quiet enough for me..

lastly- you've used alumuminium for the "bracket". I didn't have any aluminium to try, but i'd have thought steel is a much better choice. It can be much thinner, meaning that your wheel is moved across less.

Apart from that- good job! This really is the best tensioner type anyone has come up with so far- it pretty much resists damage from anything!

adam

It is obviously not as good as my tensioner then Ash :P mine holds much better tension than a rollhoff if i want it to (Y)

why not? this thing is solid

Don't know about your mounting of the hockey wheel, ican see that causing trouble........

why?

Oh, and how exactly is it a beefed up version, i can see that breaking easier than mine.........

i really don't this thing is solid

mine is similar..but i've got ~5 half hack-saw blades taped together to give MUCH better tension. I did run just one blade for a while, and it did work but after a week it snapped and tension really could have been much better...

personally..i don't know if the jockey wheel is worth it. I've just glued on a plastic guide and it runs fine and is quiet enough for me..

lastly- you've used alumuminium for the "bracket". I didn't have any aluminium to try, but i'd have thought steel is a much better choice. It can be much thinner, meaning that your wheel is moved across less.

it was free from school...

i used aluminium as i piked it from the tech room, same with the saw blade, i couldn't nick all of them lmao.

EDIT: the only reason i made this was for a spare on rides incase i rape the tensioner/hanger

Edited by ash-kennard

mine is the best, it was made from a masive spoon but alext has it now, heres a pic of the beast.

IMG_1147.jpg

it also worked awsome and was strong as fuk, plus you could run any chain and it was silent due to using the rubber jockey wheel from a gusset tensioner.

good effort,

im still in love with Beau's one he made out of a spanner.

matt

haha didnt know i was going to be said in this topic. My spanner is the best ever kills all your 74 kingz shit. Paulys is better.

Evan though i have a new bike i still have it on there lol

deonne knows where its at

Edited by B.E.A.U

Sweet thread, lets see some more homemade tensioners.

Aluminium strip, 3 blades, jockey wheel from munched mech, external hard drive case material and screws. Works really well for a total cost of £0. Am building one from stainless once I get hold of some HDPE instead of using the jockey wheel.

post-8178-1175146117_thumb.jpg