Homemade Tensioner

Ash-Kennard

Why can't you make a 74Kingz type tensioner for it? All you need is a big L bracket bolted through the hub bolt, a hacksaw blade to a smaller L bracket with a jockey wheel attached to it. 74K'z don't use a mech hanger.

Edited by JonMack

Just a comment from reading that thread, how is it hard to make an oval hole? Just drill too then file the middle out surely?

It's a good tensioner, I'd imagine it would be pretty good at resisting knocks, but it could be much less effort to look after if you could easily tension it, or if it had a spring with an arm, then it could do all the work for you. :P

It's not realy a homemade, but half of 74kingz, half of dmr's, works very well, bashed few times already, still works great. But the bolt in the 74's has to be realy tight! I definetly recommend it! I stole an idea of (i think it was) Stan Shaw and Ali C. Need to get a copyrights... LoL

Edited by 3dd

It's not realy a homemade, but half of 74kingz, half of dmr's, works very well, bashed few times already, still works great. But the bolt in the 74's has to be realy tight! I definetly recommend it! I stole an idea of (i think it was) Stan Shaw and Ali C. Need to get a copyrights... LoL

amazing !!!!!!!!!! i love that!

post-13655-1231175524_thumb.jpg

post-13655-1231175565_thumb.jpg

post-13655-1231175581_thumb.jpg

post-13655-1231175544_thumb.jpg

post-13655-1231175597_thumb.jpg

Basiacally just a Vee caliper bolted onto the Axel with a jockey wheel attached, need's tweaking but it got dark (hence the shite pics :P ) It's also got a spring clamped with a bolt where the pad would sit which pully up towards the dropouts.

Only problem is the bar the jockey wheel is sat on is far too long and needs cutting down.

Excuse the shit pictures, only had a phone handy :P

Edit: i've just realised how long it looks, i am going to shorten it/bend it so it doesnt stick out quite so much.

Edited by â„¢Adam-Griffinâ„¢

oh my..oh dear...

it's a really nice idea...and well done and all..but it just sits far too vertical to be safe! It is waaay more likely to skip out of gear, and sprocket wear will be worse...you need a longer arm to push the chain down further away from the sprocket..or two jockey wheels...

still..nice (Y)

Surely you can take a link out of that chain?!

I'd be real suprised if that doesn't skip like shit. Pretty ingenious though

I could take a link out of the chain but that'd be too simple :P And my chain tool wont work with it :S

I'd imagine it will skip as it is although i'm planning on fixing another jockey wheel so i get a healithier amount of chain wrap, tarty advise 2 wheels with 15t and under, thats a 13 :- ....

After looking at the pictures i realise it sits far too vertical, i'm planning on either Bending the arm so it's closer the the chain stay or Cutting it in half and removing some links :)

It's just temperory until my chain tugs arrive, if i can manage to make something that actually works properly i may keep it just for the crack of it, just got bored and decided to have a fiddle really :P Didn't help that i had no garage to use so no drills, saws etc, just bits and pieces that i could find :P

Thanks for the comments :)

Edited by â„¢Adam-Griffinâ„¢

major update and bumpage, i made a new one (Y) same style as the one steve put up.

ive only got pics of it off the bike as my bike didnt like it at all, my gay ass dropout has a really gay knob that bends it into the spokes. but im sure it would fit someone elses bike really well...

anyhow... (it has similar tension to my rohlof (Y))

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

make me one? :rolleyes:

Here's mine, still working after 9months.....

post-84-1187120394_thumb.jpg

Just rubbing it in abit :P

Adam

what v adaptors are those?

post-13868-1231185536_thumb.jpg

This one has been going strong for about a year now, tension is awesome thanks to a really thick saw blade.

post-13868-1231185548_thumb.jpg

The block is made from hardwood and lets the spring bend around it. Spring is attached to the block by a long bolt with countersunk spacer and nut. Jubilee clip is rock solid and stainless.

post-13868-1231185557_thumb.jpg

Wheel removal is real easy too, saw blade just swings out the way of the chain.

Thats an Abortion.

You dont need a tensioner, you have Horizontal Drop outs.

Even if you do need one, why bother trying to make one fromthe remains of a car Crash?

Stop trying to re-invent the wheel, and look at what works. The best tensioners are simple, clean and compact.

Thats an Abortion.

You dont need a tensioner, you have Horizontal Drop outs.

Even if you do need one, why bother trying to make one fromthe remains of a car Crash?

Stop trying to re-invent the wheel, and look at what works. The best tensioners are simple, clean and compact.

Abomination? :P

That's what I've been telling him! but he won't listen... :rolleyes:

I thought you had/were getting some of the actual Ciguena dropout/tugs?

As did i, when they arrived from BT, they'd basically just sent me the bit that goes on the end, nothing else :(

I emailed them to let them know i needed the whole thing, and was willing to pay for it but they havn't got back to me :(

• 2 weeks later...