Homemade Tensioner

Ash-Kennard

Id like to make one similar shape to the onza/Gusset, But make it so that the Mech hamger is part of the tensoiner, somehow. Make it out of stiff, yet flexible metal, so if it does bent it can be bent back. I think the correct tension will be hard to get. too many holes. I'll try and get one drew up tonight!

mine is the best, it was made from a masive spoon but alext has it now, heres a pic of the beast.

IMG_1147.jpg

it also worked awsome and was strong as fuk, plus you could run any chain and it was silent due to using the rubber jockey wheel from a gusset tensioner.

You really can make a tensioner out of anything, Nice one too beau aswell haha legend.

that 360-style dropout thing looks ACE.

However my faves so far would have to be deonne's/Beau's/whoever with the spanner thing, looks real solid to me like its not moving anywhere...

These ones with the hacksaw blades for some reason dont look so solid to me, because i can imagine them bouncing or flexing from side to side and perhaps falling off, even though im sure they work surprisigly well and its a cool idea.

The frenchy one looks wicked but too professional for that ingenius homemade bodge style that the others have :P

that 360-style dropout thing looks ACE.

However my faves so far would have to be deonne's/Beau's/whoever with the spanner thing, looks real solid to me like its not moving anywhere...

These ones with the hacksaw blades for some reason dont look so solid to me, because i can imagine them bouncing or flexing from side to side and perhaps falling off, even though im sure they work surprisigly well and its a cool idea.

The frenchy one looks wicked but too professional for that ingenius homemade bodge style that the others have :P

My spanner moved like f**k

got the spoon one on and i cant complain.

That leeson tensioner is coooool! Why hasn't any other companies copied it?

Or is it patented? :blink:

Its not leeson, its Fat Mike's custom job on his Fresh Products (or Iolo, i get confused with which he has now) bike. It has been done before by one of the American or Canadian companies (can't remember which though), but never really caught on for a couple of reasons - it (until now) couldn't be run with fun bolts, and also a lot of people riding comps still wanted gears. Also i should imagine it only works with certain gear ratios as it only seems to tension back and forwards a couple of center meters.

Its not leeson, its Fat Mike's custom job on his Fresh Products (or Iolo, i get confused with which he has now) bike. It has been done before by one of the American or Canadian companies (can't remember which though), but never really caught on for a couple of reasons - it (until now) couldn't be run with fun bolts, and also a lot of people riding comps still wanted gears. Also i should imagine it only works with certain gear ratios as it only seems to tension back and forwards a couple of center meters.

FP. (Y)

Nah, it works with any gear ratio! You've got 17mm of movement in there, and given that a normal pitch is 1/2", you've got a max of 1.3 whole chain links from very front to very back. (Y)

I was running my 18:16 ratio with my stays at 390mm, but I felt like shorter stays, so removed a link and got them to 378mm, also had a choice of two bb heights. :D

• 1 month later...

major update and bumpage, i made a new one (Y) same style as the one steve put up.

ive only got pics of it off the bike as my bike didnt like it at all, my gay ass dropout has a really gay knob that bends it into the spokes. but im sure it would fit someone elses bike really well...

anyhow... (it has similar tension to my rohlof (Y))

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

Edited by ash-kennard

• 1 month later...