Homemade Tensioner

Ash-Kennard

you would, wouldn't you. lol

I do like that last one, though my only problem with it is that, its filling the place of the mech hanger, so if you side hop to your right your still gonna hit if you get it wrong. Where as other peoples tensioners on here, have been on the inside of the frame, and so have evaded the prblem of any bails from breaking their tensioners.

Still looks really sweet though.

you would, wouldn't you. lol

I do like that last one, though my only problem with it is that, its filling the place of the mech hanger, so if you side hop to your right your still gonna hit if you get it wrong. Where as other peoples tensioners on here, have been on the inside of the frame, and so have evaded the prblem of any bails from breaking their tensioners.

Still looks really sweet though.

Yeah it would be nice to have something like 74 KINGS but my chain is eather to long or to short so I had to go with a derailleur type tensioner. I sidehop to the left so it has never given me problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So.... That thing might LOOK good, but it's gonna weigh a TONNE! :-

It doesnt weigh much at all, I'l weigh it soon. Titanium is approx 48% lighter than stainless, it's only 1.0mm gauge too. The carbon jockey wheel is 8g.

feels about half the weight of my 74 kings!

Edited by jimbo160

ah think he were tekint piss lak...tis clearly very light!

but i think you've done it all wrong...! The idea is for it to be out of the way so you can't hit it- you want the "bracket" to be tucked under the chainstay...

and i think the jockey wheel is completely unneccessary...just another thing to hit, and i found that they tend to twist quite easily since the titanium strip can bend side to side, meaning the chain can jump off..

one i made for steve is ace (Y) (instead of a jockey wheel, the end of the strip is bent up like a ski..)

tensionerxl0.jpg

tensioner1pj0.jpg

still...nice effort!

Jocky wheels give a much better running for the chain in my oppinion, mine is still going well after many hits and i have been running it since christmas, which i think is pretty much the longest running home made tensioner on here :)

There are some pictures of it on here somewhere, but here is another:

post-84-1191270768_thumb.jpg

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

The mount needs painting or laquring because it is only mild steel but this is the best material for bending it on and off the chainstay. In this position it is difficult to land on it and also makes removing the rear wheel easy, ive found it to be a real 'fit and forget' tensioner.

post-13868-1192130358_thumb.jpg post-13868-1192130387_thumb.jpg

I found out bending the steel around the frame actually stretches it on the corners so you need a shorter length of metal for a snug fit, mine turned out to be 6mm too long so I hacked it off while it was on the bike.

The general rule is to subtract the thickness of the metal (in my case 1.5mm) from the length of the sides for every corner it is bent around.

The vertical slot in the metal strip makes it nice and bendy for easy fitment and removal. The tabs which bolt the strip together also supports the tab that the saw blade is bolted to to make it nice and stiff

Unfortunatly this idea dosn't work too well for frames with tubular chainstays.

Edited by casualjoe

When i had my stock. I just did this...

S5030040.jpg

deraliur.jpg

Twated it on rail and walls and everything and my hanger never bent and it never moved or anything :S

Never had any problems with it and thats just standard.

Some of these are really really tidy though.

I know where to look if i ever went to stock again.

Danny.

(Y) hugely imaginitive and very original. i really like the way the chain goes over the jockey wheels. it looks really light too, how much did it weigh?

You being sarcastic?

It's not original at all really, everyone with a single-speed stock's done that mod'.

Sorry Danny. :P

I know everyone does it. Im just stating that mine worked fine. Never had any problems with it.

Weight ? I don't weigh anything. If your bike needs to be light...Your just weak...end of.

Weight means nothing IMO.

But yeah it worked spot on. Never had any problems.

Be honest with you...I think it looks better than people's who have done same as Bigman. I think that looks tacky and weak to be honest.

Danny.

I think for competition usage and natural, the wieght of your bike does make a massive difference, because, for me anyway, I get tired much more quickly when I'm riding a section on a heavy bike, for street you never do a 2min section really do you?

tell that to vincent...

it means loads actually. it can be the difference between cleaning a section or fiving it.

gotta agree with ash here ( first time ever ;) )

for street bashing weight isnt too important as long as its not ott, but for comps weights hugely important, and light bikes do ride nicer.