Homemade Tensioner

Ash-Kennard

Theres a section of upside-down chain.

Tensioner looks really good by the way (Y)

As for hacksaw blades replacing 74Kingz ones, do you still use 2? how well do they hold their tension?

you can use one, but you have to bend the blade so far its quite easy to snap, so try 2-3

As for hacksaw blades replacing 74Kingz ones, do you still use 2? how well do they hold their tension?

2 Hacksaw blades work great! My mate uses them on his 74Kingz.

Some cheap blades are too brittle and will snap... "Eclipse" blades are really good and springy though, last ages too! You might have to alter the length of them slightly too, I think he made them a bit longer.

2 Hacksaw blades work great! My mate uses them on his 74Kingz.

Some cheap blades are too brittle and will snap... "Eclipse" blades are really good and springy though, last ages too! You might have to alter the length of them slightly too, I think he made them a bit longer.

Cheers... I snapped my standard Kingz springzzzzz, needed to ride so bodged it up by drilling a hole in the already snapped part.

This shortened the spring by 15mm or so, but made it work really well as i only needed one spring due to it being shorter/stiffer.

I'm planning on making a load up when I go home where are the power tools are at.

• 7 months later...

work way better then the originals

but what you really want to do is a get a steel ruler, made of spring steel, bend it so its curved then bolt that onto you 74kingz where the spring goes, and that it... the ruler pushes the chain down... i did this after constantly killing my 74 kingz and this lasted about a year untill i swapped my bike,... but im guessing its still going strong :P

I have a really simple and easy way of making a new tensioner, or making an old broken one work well.

What you need:

A DMR or Surly or similar tensioner that has a main body that attaches to the hanger, and a wheel to tension the chain. (you can make one out of sheet metal and a derailleur as well)

A spring from a U brake

A drill with a few different sizes of drill bits to play around with.

Pliers and/or a Vice

You take the spring from the U brake, bend it so that the ends both stick out in the same direction. You insert one end into one of the drill holes in your frame (most frames have these, I'm yet to see a frame that doesn't, but if yours doesn't, this technique wont work for you, unless you drill a hole yourself.) It's best to have the end in a slight U shape so it doesn't come out of place(you can also use a tie strap if it gives you troubles). Do the same to the other end, and drill a hole in the center of your tensioner. Insert it in the same way. You may have to bend the spring out a little to give added spring tension. Mount your tensioner to the derailleur hanger(don't tighten it all the way, allow it to move up and down freely) , put the wheel jockey on the chain, and you're done!

Pictures:

pbpic2323652.jpg

pbpic2331889.jpg

pbpic2640570.jpg

Edited by Jason222

• 1 month later...

It's mounting it that seems to be the problem though sad.gif I've spent all day out in the garden trying to piece something together sad.gif

Closest i've come is mounting an Avid IS-203mm post mount on the dropouts,Clipping a spring into one of the holes and attaching the other side to the 4 bolt mounts. Then running a rod through another hole and mounting a Jocky on the rod but i can't seem to keep it in the same place sad.gif

I have limited resources though, Couple of Sockets/Ratchet, adjustable spanner, cheap Alan keys, pliers, Penknife style hacksaw etc. A f**ked rear mech and some random bolts tongue.gif

shifty.gif

Edit: I'm sure it's still possible Daniel tongue.gif

Edited by Adam-Griffin

You could always be cool and attach a random jockey wheel to your chainstay like i did :P

Big jockey wheel from a gusset tensioner, two cable ties, attach to chainstay (tensioning chain upwards) Was a great little bodge!

:shifty: May try that haha

My dropouts look a little bit like this, excuse my Lack of paint skillzz :( :

post-13655-1230834607_thumb.jpg

The threaded holes seem a bonus as theirs more to attach something :P