Park Tyres

Strobe

I might get a bit of stick for this, but here goes ...

Could anyone suggest some tyres suitable for skate parks for my mod (Onza T-Comp '07)?

I guess the front will be easy, just whack a BMX tyre on there, but the rear is 19" and would need to be much wider than your average BMX tyre. I currently run Maxxis Creepy Crawlers and they just slide so much it's really stunting my park riding. I still want them to be able to grip enough for street however because I still enjoy hitting my old spots.

Quick explanation: All my friends ride park (they don't have trials bikes) and there are few places to hit, so it's easier for me to ride park, in a kind of tech BMX style. I'm actually really enjoying the flowly style - I don't enjoy the 'mini-hop-for-10-minutes-before-you-do-the-trick' style most riders seem to take and I'm getting a lot of respect for the kind of tricks I can do with a trials bike.

Does anyone else ride park?

Does anyone else ride park?

I love riding skatepark on my trials bike! (on my mountain bike too but that's beside the point)

I don't really consider it as trials but it's just so much fun! And I definitely find that stuff you learn in a skatepark is useful for street trials. Don't know nowt about tyres though sorry!

I love riding skatepark on my trials bike!

I don't really consider it as trials

I'm suprised someone feels the same! You're right, it rocks :D Although I think you could class some of it as trials, like I do some side drops off the boxes and a couple more trials related things, I'm thinking get lots of pivots and gaps next ride to get it closer to trials. What kinda tricks do you do?

Also, what tyres do you run, are they okay - slip much?

onza sticky fingers maybe... Fairly hard compound!

a higher pressure (40psi)

Cheers, I'll check them out. I run a pretty high pressure for trials - around 40psi, that's just how I like it, and still got slipping, just wondering, for park, is it better to run high pressure for less rolling resistance or low for grip?

I currently run Maxxis Creepy Crawlers and they just slide so much it's really stunting my park riding. I still want them to be able to grip enough for street however because I still enjoy hitting my old spots.
I run a pretty high pressure for trials - around 40psi, that's just how I like it, and still got slipping, just wondering, for park, is it better to run high pressure for less rolling resistance or low for grip?

I dont really understand where you are coming from to be honest. Creepy Crawlers are a super all roundish sorta tyre. 40 PSI is WELL too much for any trials usage and when riding park the tyres are far less likely to slip on park than when riding trials. Wack around 28psi front and 30ish on the rear for park and lower for trials... i love hitting the park for trials and only thing i'd ever bother doing would be to put about 5psi more in my tyres....

Fact is if you really do want to ride street just pick up a cheap BMX people selll some pretty alright BMX's for about 30quid... i really dont see how your having all your problems...

Don't think you understood what I mean, Simpson. My tyres are fine for street trials, but I want something that will give better grip in a park, because it's an odd request for a 19" and wide park tyre :)

I'm not interested in buying a BMX I just need something that can help me push my riding further as I'm having fun experiementing in a skate park - after all riding (whatever discipline) is about having fun, not following the crowd. E.g. you disagree with my tyre pressures, but it's what I feel comfortable with so that's what I should run. I'm not sure if you've ridden park, but it's very slippy (hence the children sliding down the quarter pipes for fun) and you get a lot less grip than you would doing street on concrete for example, at least in my town.

yea i do understand what you mean if you are riding metal ramps... you just have to adjust your ride style, BMX'ers run almost slick tyres on there bikes and i highly doubt a dirt tyre even if you could fix a max daddy on a mod that it would help. You just have to learn how to ride the ramps going up and down them rather than cutting across and relying on your tyres to grip...... i dont know if anyone knows what i mean or if its just me being a foolish child

Good not just me then! lol just go up and over the ramps not across them relying on the grip

Yeah, mostly metal. There's 2 near me - a fairly large varied metal one and a small crappy 'just to stop the kids moaning' wooden one.

Guess yeah I need to work on my riding style, I'm not a very experienced park rider so I just assumed I was slipping because of my tyres. I see what you mean about the up down rather than carving Simpson, guess I'll need to work up some more balls, going at an angle for drop ins etc. makes it feel easier :D

Cheers for the link Eskimo!

What surface are you riding, metal?

If so chances are you won't get any grip with any tyre. Well i can't.

Yeah that's very true, like what people have been saying, certain things like trials hops just aren't going to work too well on skate ramps, you have to ride so that you're not trying to get sideways grip against the ramps if that makes sense, using gravity and momentum rather than pushing yourself about? (I may be talking waffle...)

Of course that's not to say that everything you've learnt from trials is useless riding park. Keep experimenting!

Cheers, I'll check them out. I run a pretty high pressure for trials - around 40psi, that's just how I like it, and still got slipping, just wondering, for park, is it better to run high pressure for less rolling resistance or low for grip?

Personally I can't be bothered to change my tyres pressures just because I'm riding skatepark, but mine are usually hard like yours anyway. As long as they're hard enough to spin on and not hit the rims I leave them be.

Yeah, trials tyres normally have quite a close tread pattern anyway, the problem with them for park is the very square profile not letting them grip properly when the tires at an angle to the surface your riding. So Cutting the side knobles down is a pretty good idea. :)

I know a lot of 4X riders cut the side knobles down on DH tyres to help with grip on harsh berms.

I'm not sure I'd be confident enough to start hacking away at my Maxxis, but I'll keep that as plan B :D

The echo tyres actually look fairly rounded, so I might give that a try on the back, anyone have any experience of them for street or park?

yeahh im not that posh you see because at the moment im runing bot wheels as 20"

liking the idea of the worn creepy by samdoman

since you are running 20" front and rear I would run these...

Maxxis Holyroller 2.2 Front and Back - I am running them on my 24" and they are great tires for street as well as being grippy enough for trials (in most situation), I would run around 30 - 35psi in them, with a thicker tube in the rear.

since you are running 20" front and rear I would run these...

Maxxis Holyroller 2.2 Front and Back - I am running them on my 24" and they are great tires for street as well as being grippy enough for trials (in most situation), I would run around 30 - 35psi in them, with a thicker tube in the rear.

nahh but thanks for it anyway im going 19"soon anyway and i dont ride park so :lol: i dont kneed em

I also love riding skate park on my trials bike! (Usually with Tommy d actually) and i did it on mod for a number of years...

I'm afraid i can't give much constructive advice but i do know for a fact that creepy crawlers DO NOT work well in skateparks! It felt like i was riding on ice or something it was nasty....

The new echo tyres worked better but still weren't amazing and then i got a stock and my tyres now work fine hehe!