I've Got Free Money..

Barbra

Got a bank statement through just, and i quote:

previous balance - 9.74

withdrawn - 6.99

paid in - 115.02

New balance - 117.77

Now i don't know where the hell that money has come from, it can't be interest as i brought a tool from chain reaction like a week ago (which is what the 6.99 is) I don't think it could've been the 'rents as they're always skint and they havn't got my card/card number/ account details.

Anyone had anything like this happen. I also quote the real hustle.

if it looks to good to be true, it usually is
Edited by Barber

Got family members who might have accidentally used your paying in book to pay in one of their cheques, so it went into your account?

My mum has done it at least 3 times to me...

Personally, wouldn't touch it untill you've spoken to the bank, they can tell you where it was payed in and stuff.

More than likely it is a mistake by the bank, so don't go spending it because they will be asking for it back if that is the case. You may find it's gone again in a few days time when they reaslise what they have done, it's happened to me a few times!

Davey

Withdraw it all and run away to Mexico (Y)

On a serious note, contact your bank and enquire about it. No doubt if you go around spending like mad, the 'actual' owner of the money will investigate and somehow claim it back, leaving you in a pickle!!

Dont tell them about it for a week of so. if nothing happens to it and they dont say anything. spend it..

This is not a good plan. Unfortunately it works the same as the tax man, if he doesn't tax you enough it's his mistake but you still have to pay up. No matter how long you wait that money is not yours and they are within their rights to ask for it back at any time, and as they are the bank they wont ask they'll just take! There is probably some period of time afterwhich it becomes legally yours but it's going to be a matter of years not weeks!

Davey

Got family members who might have accidentally used your paying in book to pay in one of their cheques, so it went into your account?

My mum has done it at least 3 times to me...

Personally, wouldn't touch it untill you've spoken to the bank, they can tell you where it was payed in and stuff.

ye my mom did that to me and it said i had 634 pound i wasl iek wooooo new frame was about to order until she relised what she did i wanted to cry.

if the bank has fooked up and payed it into your account i dont think they can actually touch it. Worth ringing them and asking where it was payed in etc. Just wait and see what happens.

Trust me when I say they can and they do. I've had it happen more than once, sometimes it's with small amounts like 20p and other times it's been £60 but I only realise when I get my statement and it's on there as a credit then a debit a few days later!

Davey

Trust me when I say they can and they do. I've had it happen more than once, sometimes it's with small amounts like 20p and other times it's been £60 but I only realise when I get my statement and it's on there as a credit then a debit a few days later!

Davey

oww right sorry my mistake. They did it to a friend of mine a while back and payed in too much to his account. They never touched it. Must just be luck lol. -hugh

They can ask for it back, but then you have the legal right to charge them 'service fees', saw an article on it once. Dunno how you go about doing that but can be done apparently!

This is true, but with all this stuff about claiming back unlawful bank charges I dont think it's wise, as the bank will do the same to you. You'd have to be able to prove that the fee you're charging is lawful, ie; that it represents the actual cost of giving back the money, which really there isn't one because it costs you nothing. So be careful. At the end of the day, is it really worth the hastle, it's not yours and it's not like you'll miss it, just call the bank and ask what it is, it could be a payment from a very long time ago which they have only just credited to your account. People have the common missconception that every transaction is instant, but when you pay for something with a debit or credit card it may not leave your account for weeks even months on very rare occasions!

Davey

Edited by Davey

Dave i think your right. Just had another look at the other sheet from my bank it says.

interest - 0.02

credit - 15.00

credit - 100

I'll wait for my Dad come in and tell him about it, then ring up the bank.

Edited by Barber

Dave i think your right. Just had another look at the other sheet from my bank it says.

I'll wait for my Dad come in and tell him about it, then ring up the bank.

Other thing to remember, if you're getting that off a printout from a cash machine, it will not necessarily be accurate and you may find two different machines tell you different things. Pending transactions do show on some and dont on others, if you bank at barclays the most accurate will be a barclays ATM as you would expect, but a link one may not include your most recent transactions. Also it's always taken from the close of business the night before, so if you've spent anything since or any standing orders have gone out since they will not show. In general the balance on screen at an ATM isn't very reliable if you have a lot of standing orders, direct debits and things!

Davey

Ah, that would explain the £100 that i spent through direct debit at tarty. But what of the other 15. Hmmm i think i'll leave it now the 15 obviously came from, and left but i can't remember it like the £100 :) cheers Davey

Edited by Barber

I don't want to hijack your thread, but i didn't want to start a new one....Basically, can banks make mistakes with cash machines? Can they take out more money then what they should actually take out?

There was a faulty cash machine recently which was giving out £20 notes instead of £10 notes, so you'd get twice the ammount if you drew it out in tenners. I think it was due to it being filled incorrectly or something, so electronically the right ammount was removed from your account but you got twice as much in cash, bonus!!!! But this doesn't happen often, that's the only time I've heard of it!

Not sure if that's what you mean though, can you give an example of what you mean because it's not 100% clear!

Davey