Bike Show..tomoz...whos Going?

Joe Papasnap Maher

i was disapointed aswell (N)

me and my mate wandered around all the stalls at least 10 times ,only buying stuff on the tarty stall cus the others were pants ( apart from the mbr stall were there was a fitty in hot pants :P ).

the trials demo was on for like half a hour at 10:15 ish ,the riding was good ,just each rider rode for only a few mins really .

one of the best bits was when danny mac tried a tailwhip dropoff (Y) he later said he's landed them one footed before but not two footed .im looking forward to seeing him pull it off.

another good bit was when the announcer said something like"now we hav the best street rider in the world ,neil tunnicliffe " and someone shouted "i beg to differ " :lol:

all in all it was ok ,hopefully next year it'll be bigger and better.

steve

certainly sounds like i made the right decision to go alton towers lol knew it was gonna be shit when i heard that tit giles was sorting it all out then when i read the riders list i just new it was crap.

dont get me wrong the riders are good but you need big names for big crouds.

Maybe next year they will put it in the hands of "professional" people and the show may get back on its feet, without the organisation of Martyn Ashton the bike show is as much use as a chocolate fire guard...........

he gets bigs names, who have big rides and get the crowd going. altho as the saying goes

"Pay peanuts, get monkeys"

Waynio......................

Wayne, I think that's really unfair!

The show as a whole was small, lacking some of the halo stands that the Cycle Show has. Manufacturer support was limited, there were rubbish food stands, and a 'win a toy' tombola stands?

The riding displays themselves... The BMX 'street' area was very small and limited. The music was also too loud. The dirt jump line was two jumps, and the sprint challenge was a gate and a small stack of pallets due to - allegedly - a health & saftey form that wasn't submitted promptly.

The trials area was the best of the bunch. Lots of obstacles - if lacking a tech aspect for some people - giving lots of possibilites. Also the line up of riders was very good, as was the quality of riding. The only aspect working against it were the daft time slots (10:15 before people arrive, and 5:00 after people leave).

Between the Tarty stand (which was certainly one of the nicest at the show) and the new Diamondback bikes, the trials aspect of the show was good, but limited. Unlike the show itself, which was just limited.

I think Waynes rather simplistic and probably biased view of the show doesn't go half way to explaining the problems. The financial restraints on producing a show like this are a major factor in things like the trials demo, and to reduce it to a "paying peanuts" statement is probably very unfair to the organisers involved. If paying "professionals big money" was the answer, then why did the show go down the pan in the first place, when these "professionals" organised it.

I think that venue is the major problem and also probably a lamentable lack of publicity on the part of the show organisers.

We will again be running the Trials Section at Cycle 2007 which has a change of venue this year to Earls Court and we will have over twice as much area as last year. We are planning it to be the best yet so I hope we get the support.

Edited by Mike Poyzer @ Onza

Maybe next year they will put it in the hands of "professional" people and the show may get back on its feet, without the organisation of Martyn Ashton the bike show is as much use as a chocolate fire guard...........

he gets bigs names, who have big rides and get the crowd going. altho as the saying goes

"Pay peanuts, get monkeys"

Waynio......................

well said wayne, im so happy i didnt go

sounds like bollox this year.

I rode this weekend, and let me just say, we all worked very hard to make the best of the limited area/ obsticals we had. this was the first year of the new show, and as such they were just sort of testing the water,

It went down well with the organisers, so it means next year can be much bigger and better.

As for the top name's coments, a bit harsh dont you think,

Tuni, best street rider i ever saw in ten years of riding,

Slinger, one of only two people ever to win 20" and 26" world champs in the same day ever and previouse biu world champ.

Dan B, euro champ, previous word number2, previous top 5 world ranking, and is consistantly competitive in world cup finals.

Ash B, the most successfull rider of his age in the country, and realy good to have a rider that younger members of the audience can relate to, allso did a great job promoting the show on kids tv.

Thats just the main riders, others like ali and stan have top comp results and make popular vids that the forum users love, andrai, the beard, a world master level rider and a profeshional demo rider that puts on shows most weekends. All the mental bmx syle street guy's must love danny mac, he is a nutter and i have never seen anyone mix in bmx tricks so much with trial, wich for a show, goes down really well.

and then for the rest of us that rode, well lets face it, to an average joe, that ride's xc or dh or dirt, any trials rider of a good level is gonna look impresive!

ROB

am not critisizing the riders, more the "organisers" they picked "man A" over "man B" to organise it. pretty shoddy really.

After all i think most will agree a show needs alot of "professional"ism about it,a crowd of 20/30 is hardly professional, a stadium/audience full of people like bike shows of past (personally) were professional. the right people there and the right organiser/organisers.

Waynio............................

i can see alot of people may its a "biased" opinion, but so what i wasnt riding there, out of the list that was riding i have to say, i wouldnt have paid £20 (personally) and by the looks of things other people felt/feel the same.

EDIT: lets put it this way(im not being arsey, just look across the pond from this point of view), rob your post is extremly biased.....

most of the people you have listed are good friends of yours/others etc.

Current World Master Champion???? and British Master champ???? :S thats more important than "has beens" IMO. Martyn Ashton is NOT a has been, Chris Akrigg is not a HAS BEEN, they all still do more than most of us on here for the sport of Bike Trial. Some of the people who attended are obviously of the Bike Show standard (Y)

Edited by Waynio

Current World Master Champion???? and British Master champ???? :S thats more important than "has beens" IMO. Martyn Ashton is NOT a has been, Chris Akrigg is not a HAS BEEN, they all still do more than most of us on here for the sport of Bike Trial. Some of the people who attended are obviously of the Bike Show standard (Y)

Well said wayne. I have to say i arnt the best of riders and if i got the choice of going to the bikeshow or the brit champs i would have chosen brit champs just over the list of riders riding at the bike show. Because i would have rather seen more of the people known for there comp results not people known because they ride street well.

Jack (Y)

Edited by *BOOTHY*