Clanking When I Pedal

Anjow

This is a problem I've had for a while, but now I've taken some steps towards solving it (none of which worked) I am soliciting suggestions on what else I can do.

Most of the time, when I pedal there is a clanking sound, when the foot that is forward at the time reaches around 4-5 o'clock. This happens with both feet. It does not happen at all if I am pedalling backwards, i.e. when I'm not putting load on the drivetrain.

What I've tried:

- Tightening the bottom bracket

- Taking the cranks off, cleaning the tapers, putting them back on and tightening them up hard

- Taking it to a bike shop - the mechanic wasn't in but the owner said it was not something that would harm the bike - however he didn't say what it could be

The bike is a Zona Zip as provided by SuperCycles - I don't really know about what components it has. I do know that they are Onza cranks, an ACS freewheel and Onza pedals.

Can anyone suggest what it could be or how I could fix it? I can provide pictures of components if that would help.

i had this noise and it was the bearings in the bottom bracket, some how it has sorted it self out,

also it could be the bearings in your pedals, or even grit in the pedal, try taking them off cleaning them then putting them back on, and last of all it could be your rear hub if its a cheap onza one cause mine did tha aswell lol, its most probably the pedals but if not then it will most likely be the bearings in the bb, get a shimano un 53 i hear good things about them (Y)

Edited by braintreetrials

Hate to say it, but are you sure your frame isnt cracked?

I've ridden the bike on less than 20 occasions, the frame hasn't hit anything, the bike hasn't hit anything, I've not done anything more than try backhopping on flat ground.

If the frame is cracked then it was bought cracked, new, from SuperCycles.

I'll look for the freewheel info and try tightening the pedals, thanks.

Edit: I worked out how to tighten the freewheel, tightened it, and now the problem is gone. Thanks very much.

Edited by Anjow