Too Hot To Ride

mods

been out riding today and had to come home due to severe over heating, the weather seems to go from one extreme to the other, luckily i live right by the sea so can just jump in when it gets to much, not always convienient though. So i'm just wondering really how do you lot keep cool on days like these?

There no doubt about it your going to get hot in this weather there’s no stopping that, try and ware minimal clothing but still keep covered plus the old sun screen, a little tan is nice but a burn isn’t (speak to Daren Hill about that).

You want to drink as much water as possible before you ride and then try and keep you fluid intake up when your riding, to give you an idea if an athlete has a loss of 2% of his/her water volume they can suffer a 50% drop in performance. On a normal day the average person will lose about 2.5 litres of water so just think how much you lose in a 3 or 4 hour ride on a hot day.

The more dehydrated you become the hotter you will get.

Some facts:

An 11 stone man will contain approximately 50 litres of water so a loss a loss of 1 litre will equal 2% dehydration.

A loss of 3 litres will be 6% now you can expect to become sleepy experience headaches and you may feel tingling in one's limbs and a bit shaky.

Now where did you read that?

Seems an awful lot

Its recommended by camelbak.

A 3ltr reservoir full should last you atleast 3 hours, can always go to th eshop and refil it.

you actually sweat alot more than i realised when excersising add the heat and you will sweat alot more.

Its recommended by camelbak.

A 3ltr reservoir full should last you atleast 3 hours, can always go to th eshop and refil it.

you actually sweat alot more than i realised when excersising add the heat and you will sweat alot more.

surely thats for long distance xc though, all we do is walk to a spot, get on the back wheel, jump abit, then go to a shop to eat and move to the next spot. its not really that enduring

You may find your not doing 3lts an hour but on a hot day when your riding good, its probably not far off it, remember you will lose water by sweating, going to the toilet, breathing, spitting etc.

If you know you will lose say 2lts of water on a ride doesn’t mean you should drink 2lts of water before you go out as over hydrating can be as bad as dehydrated, you should be drinking little and often, so drink a bit before you go and realistically every 10 min during exercise.

drink water after a long line or everytime you feel hot. and if your doing a long line just do a few track stands to get your energy back. or just do some one move wonders, like one sidehop then watch someone do something then you do another thing. thats pretty much what i did today and i didnt get too hot. i think i had 1 proper rest all day and that was for 10 minutes in the shade.

Edited by braintreetrials

just go naked i find its a the best way really, i call it naturist trials, new up and coming sport, and it brings more attention to you, so if your one of those riders that likes the thrill of the public watching/cheering/clapping you on i recommend greatly

:blink:

tom

move to the arctic/antarctic, whichever is closest to you

seriously though, i just drink quite a bit. we had a ride in the evening and it was still hot, went to pub and I rehydrated by drinking 4 pints of coke in an hour

....the amount of gas in my lower intestines this morning was not funny. water ***, defintly un-carbonated though