Too Hot To Ride

mods

2 for 1 bottles of maahooossive water bottles at bp - Naked riding and shade does trick for me - Oh and when ur resting take your helm off let some heat out get some water on your napper and your coool and ready to go.

also drink the water :P

Chizz x

surely thats for long distance xc though, all we do is walk to a spot, get on the back wheel, jump abit, then go to a shop to eat and move to the next spot. its not really that enduring

:lol:

Get your bmx's out for the lads ! ..... :)

danny....

Do it. Gets so hot when you stop riding. But for those few minutes of cruising about on the ramps it's rather cool.

Another solution to getting hot:

continue to moan about how hot it is and repeat such sentences as 'too phucking hot to ride'. then before you know it, walla, winter is here. then start moaning about how wet and cold it is until summer arrives.

I am having to ride in 40+ degrees for the next 4 months, it might even get to 50.

So here is what I do

Get a camelback, they are really well insulated keeping your drink colder for much longer than a couple of bottles in a rucksack.

Half fill your camelback blader and put it in the freezer overnight, top it up with cold water before your ride and you get ice cold water all day long. If you fill your camelback and freeze it, the insulation keeps it frozen so you end up with nothing to drink.

Mix a powdered sports drink into your camelback water, I like Gatorade, but any of them are better than nothing.

Put at least one rideable gear back on your bike, riding around gives you instant access to a cool breeze and new cooler riding spots.

Get laughed at by your mates and buy some nike 'dri-fit' clothing, its designed for runners, but is amazing at keeping you cool, most other high end sports manufacturers have something similar, but everyone I know who has tried 'dri-fit' for any sport ends up raving about it.

Location makes a big difference too, anywhere near water will usual offer a cool breeze whereas concrete can reflect the heat right back at you, use your riding gear to find a cooler spot.

For timing, any breeze usual drops away around sunset, the humidity will also increase, the best time is the hour or so before sunset when the midday sun has passed, but the breeze is still blowing.

The effects of exercising in the heat can make you really irritable, so when you go to bit of the heads of your nearest and dearest, stop and ask yourself whether its just the effects of the heat - don't underestimate this effect.

As has already been said its also a good time to get out your BMX

Enjoy the summer

Duane.

I am having to ride in 40+ degrees for the next 4 months, it might even get to 50.

So here is what I do.........................

Enjoy the summer

Duane.

There were real good points there. I might invest in a camelback one day. I always wondered why concrete parks are roasting, now i know.

(Y)

what about a river with a concrete bottom?

The water will absorb the solar radiation from the sun.

Heat is caused by the ground heating up the air...so a surface which reflects alot of solar radiation such as concrete will be much hotter than a surface such as grass. There isn't a massive difference, but it is noticable.

I just try to drink lots of water reguarly, when i'm not riding i take my helemt off to let heat escape and try to keep in a cool shaded place B)

The water will absorb the solar radiation from the sun.

Heat is caused by the ground heating up the air...so a surface which reflects alot of solar radiation such as concrete will be much hotter than a surface such as grass. There isn't a massive difference, but it is noticable.

I just try to drink lots of water reguarly, when i'm not riding i take my helemt off to let heat escape and try to keep in a cool shaded place B)

im impressed, well done

it helps to have the north sea right on your doorstep. apparently if you jump into the sea here on a hot summers day when you haven't been in the water before you can be 10 times more likely to have a heart attack just with the shock.

Get some baggy trackies, polyester type ones and cut the cotton liner out, I have and its like wearing really thin, cool, baggy clothes, funnily enough.

This is going to sound a bit wierd but wear your baggiest polyester boxxers.

Just wear baggy polyester clothes, preferably white to reflect the heat, its surprising this difference it can make over wearing cotton. Drink water, get a peak to shade your face, take your helmet off when you can.

Helps not wearing gloves if you can stand it for a while, shreds your hands though you might want to get some thinner ones.

Edited by KuelMuel

Ever realised however much you drink on a ride you never need to piss more than is normal? just me? i sweat like a wet fish though

Im like that at work.

Drank 4 ltrs of water today an pissed once...

30+ temps and rising, its not fun working in an injection moulding mouldshop in the summer :(

I bought a Fox Blitz Jersey to ride with, It's like you're not wearing anything it's so light and holey :P

I will usually take a few litres of water out with me in a bag. There used to be a tap on a pier where we ride, but it's been moved now :angry:

There's also a fountain gap, and it's fun to fall in when you're boiling hot with shorts on, can't wait to ride tomorrow!

when racing moto cross i used to have a gallon of water with 5 dissolvable aspirin in to sip from.the water hydrates you,and the aspirin thins the blood making the boody run cooler,and if you ask most of the top riders at british champs etc,most of them do the same,although for trials,youd probably want 1 aspirin for every 3-4 litres.

Carl

you dont wanna build muscle to stop arm pump,thats the worst thing to do.arm pump is where the lactic acid causes the muscle to expand.you want to keep the muscle reasonable,but build it for stamina,not strength.but yea,thinning the blood does help stop arm pump,slightly though.

potasium helps it too,banana's are good for that.

Carl

Aye dont over drink water either as it dilutes the minerals in your blood causing you to die in worst cases.

thats how the fella in the london marathon died.

i think that happens to lots of people who are esctacy as well, back on topic though, yea decent clothing and lots of water sounds like a gd solution to me, plus i might want to get myself a bit fitter, i get knackered a lot quicker in the heat.