Help Please...

who,me?

Hi

Right, I have a bike once again.

The frame is a Saracen team trials (06) with 4 bolt maggie mounts, running a hope xc on D521 ceramic rim....

One main problem.

The guy who had it before me bodged some old evolution clamps onto it, getting rid of the quick release etc and using them as 4 bolt to suit the frame

I dont have a problem with asthetics, as long as it works to its full potential, but the whole brake setup just seems too high, the slaves/mounts are pushed down as much as poss to reach the rim, but even then the slaves need to be angled downward in the mounts down in order for them not to not touch the tyre!

The brakes work and stop okish(could be better), but only really because the pads are worn at an angle to cater for this...when I come to get new ones, its not going to be possible to get the pad facings parrallel with the rim!! And im not into grinding the face of the pad down to suit an irritating angle...

I hope that all made sense?

The questions I have are;

Do I need proper four bolt mounts?

Could the frames mounts be off?

Could the wheel be too small in diameter? (i doubt it, but will throw out there anyway!)

And if anyone else is running evo mounts with a 4 bolt frame...please let me know how it is!!

Thanks for reading guys, would be very grateful for some help

Chris

B)

The questions I have are;

Do I need proper four bolt mounts? - Yes

Could the frames mounts be off? - probably not, evo mounts are for mounting magies on v brake frames and forks, they are simply not designed for 4-bolt mount frames

Could the wheel be too small in diameter? (i doubt it, but will throw out there anyway!) - not if it’s a mavic 521

Best bet is to buy proper 4-bolt mounts and buy a new rim. Changing rims isn’t tricky; you don’t even need to take the spokes off the hub.

If you REALLY want to keep the mavic rim, you might be able to run tensile offset mounts round the wrong way, so they are inset, but this wont be so much fixing a bodge but making a new one!

First things first, get some 4 bolt mounts. I reckon that should sort the problem, because having a narrower rim should not make you have to change the angle of the cylinders, merely how far in you have to put the cylinders in the mounts.

If it doesn't work then get a new rim. But the four bolt mounts should move the maggies down the seatstays, and make them meet the rim square imo :)

Good luck.

First things first, get some 4 bolt mounts. I reckon that should sort the problem, because having a narrower rim should not make you have to change the angle of the cylinders, merely how far in you have to put the cylinders in the mounts.

If it doesn't work then get a new rim. But the four bolt mounts should move the maggies down the seatstays, and make them meet the rim square imo :)

Good luck.

Yea thats what I thought??? Its not the width thats the problem surely, the pads are able to reach the rim when braking just fine, its just that they are too high..

So, it looks like ill be getting some 4bolt mounts to start off with...see if they sit lower n the frame.

if that dont work, a new rim it is then....?!

Failing that, a new frame lol

Im just very limited on funds...so would much prefer to keep as much as poss as it is without expendature.

Am prepared to fork out for some 4bolt mounts...does anyone have some lying around they could sell me for a reasonable price?

Or lawnmowerman...You prepared to do a swap? Theres no quick release thingi on the right mount...but i do have the special quick release bolt.

Thanks alot guys for all your input,

Is there any more suggestions anyone has??

Chris B)

Yeah, mps frames are suited to take a wide rim around 47mm and 4 bolt mouunts so if you hav neither your likely going ot get it trouble.

Oh and what exactly is an MPS frame?