I did replace my chain (proven kmc Z1EHX) again yesterday and just keep wondering if reusing the pin that I pushed out to get the correct chain length is really ok. When I break the chain, there is always a little shard/splinter that breaks off of the one end of the pin that I push through. Joining the chain works fine and luckily I never had any issues with the chains. But that shard just makes me feel a little uneasy :-).
Looking forward to your opinions on this matter!
I’m reviving my old Civic Coupe.
I had a look round at what I had to hand, how much I’d realistically have to buy and at what cost to make it a viable option. I have a gearbox, driveshafts, radiator, hoses, K swap engine mounts and a suitable chassis. The engine was going to be the deciding factor.
As a result of everyone throwing K20s into just about anything these days they’re commanding more money than ever. Without spending serious money you’re looking at around 230-250bhp absolute peak too for your money.
Ive had a K24 sat in here from an accord I pulled apart a long time ago with a view to doing a K24/K20 Frankenstein build until we found his Civic shell was rotten and it was abandoned. Cue a phone call, £350 later and the engine, box, headgasket, stem seals, head bolts... LOTS of parts essential for the conversion all included. He let me have the lot.
Stripped the engine down to the bottom end only. Sump off, head off, oil pump off.
The K24 uses a beefy pump incorporating a pair of balance shafts that aren’t RPM friendly. Searched the shelves and found a K20A2 pump in good order that was stripped and cleaned/inspected for wear before being modified to fit the 24 bottom end. (Requires some material removing to clear the main/girdle bolts)
Another search through my spares and I found a K20A2 cylinder head along with the camshaft carrier/rocker assembly and a pair of camshafts with exh gear and 50deg VTC inlet gear. I had this head skimmed years ago for another engine destined for a customers engine that never went ahead. Big bonus! Replaced the valve stem seals, offered onto the block and torqued down. Bagged an RBC inlet manifold for £250.00 too.
New timing chain, all re-assembled and I have an engine that’s capable of around 250-260bhp, makes more power everywhere in the midrange and a nice little increase in torque too (at the expense of peak RPM limit due to long stroke) for £600.00. In a world where Honda parts are doing nothing but sailing through the roof I’m over the moon.