Hope Hub

*Tom*

My mates hope XC hub has been skipping alot recently, started skipping every so often about a month after he got it, the last two weeks its been getting worse. I took it apart for him about two months ago and cleaned it out, re-greased it and put light oil on the ratchet ring and pawls and it worked fine up till two weeks ago. When i took it apart there was no visible damage to the ratchet ring or pawls. Dose anyone have any idea what it could be?. Also if he sends the hub to hope, will he have to take the wheel apart?.

Sounds like you've done the right things...

Were the springs looking good?

Did it all reassemble ok?

Usually taking apart, cleaning and lightly lubing does the trick.

As for sending it to Hope, It depends really. They don't build wheels for repairs. Its easier and cheaper to send the hub if you can easily build the wheel abck up again.

I've send hubs back to Hope... 6 times now, and its just easier to take the wheel apart and send the hub.

Sounds like you've done the right things...

Were the springs looking good?

Did it all reassemble ok?

Usually taking apart, cleaning and lightly lubing does the trick.

As for sending it to Hope, It depends really. They don't build wheels for repairs. Its easier and cheaper to send the hub if you can easily build the wheel abck up again.

I've send hubs back to Hope... 6 times now, and its just easier to take the wheel apart and send the hub.

Yeah, all looked fine, much better than my 4 or 5 year old XC anyway :P went back togeather fine aswell. The hub hasn't had trials abuse, hes an XCer, dosen't do any hard riding atall either.

We thought it would be like that, stripping and rebuilding the wheel isn't too much trouble. Thanks for the advice man :)

If you're sending a hub back to Hope for a service, its almost always better to send it back as a complete wheel. If the ratchet ring is worn and needs replacing they need the hub to be built into a wheel to remove it. The only time you should send back the hub only is when the hub shell itself is cracked and needs replacing.

And if its skipping, then its obviously a freehub issue so new ratchet ring and pawls are in order, possibly a new freehub body if the current one is scored.