Bleeding

What brake is it - DOT 4 and 5.1 (DOT 5 is different again and incompatible with pretty much everything - It's unlikely anyone has this as the US military is the only significant group that uses it AFAIK) will eat seals designed for mineral oil and vice versa.

If it's a Magura rim brake you can also bleed with water, but more maintenance is often needed to keep the brake running with water...

What brake is it - DOT 4 and 5.1 (DOT 5 is different again and incompatible with pretty much everything - It's unlikely anyone has this as the US military is the only significant group that uses it AFAIK) will eat seals designed for mineral oil and vice versa.

If it's a Magura rim brake you can also bleed with water, but more maintenance is often needed to keep the brake running with water...

Its a magura HS33, but I would prefer not to bleed it with water. Yes I think it is DOT5.1. So which is best.

Magura blood or any other mineral oil (My personal choice is Citroen LHM suspension fluid because it's dirt cheap and more readily available - I bought 500ml about 7 years ago and still have about half of it and I bleed everyone else's brakes near me too) will work in a Magura. All Magura brakes are designed to run mineral oil and will be ruined by DOT fluid.

Magura royal blood is supposed to have lower viscosity, making the lever less draggy to pull, like a water bleed, but I haven't verified this myself. Incidentally to get an idea of the difference between DOT and mineral oil (And why I prefer to work with mineral oil), shiny jelly sweets are made shiny by coating them in mineral oil, so basically it's safe to drink (But will act as a powerful laxative). DOT fluid on the other hand works well as a light duty paint stripper...